Author Topic: system upgrade.  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
system upgrade.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 04:28:36 PM »
Didn't say they could access simultaneously, what it gives is higher percentage of the max bandwidth available, rather than split it.
Thats the multiple Opterons advantage over Xeons.

Situation will only worsen with the first quad core Conroes which yet again will be two CPU's glued together, only this time two dual core CPU's.

It's a killer chip no doubt, but I think Intel should have gone farther and got away from shared busses, and using the FSB for communication.

Saying that unless AMD produce a lower cost CPU with the coherent link enabled (currently only FX series), "Torrenza" is going to be a real hard sell.
Thats even if it lives up to it's preliminary 80% performance increase claims.

No grey area, Torrenza will either fall flat on it's face because of cost, or be a resounding success. AMD's big problem, and logically us poor end users, is going to be cost.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:33:29 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
system upgrade.
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 04:35:06 PM »
Kev, the dual core Conroes communicate via the internal cache.  Not the FSB.  The FSB is just for memory reading and writting.

And by the way, the new Conroe based Xeon's will be out soon.  The Opteron is going to be severely out-classed when that happens.  The specs for the new Xeon's are impressive.

The Opterons edge over the current Xeon's lies in the Prescott based architecture Intel used in the Xeon.  It was just bad.

The internal versus external memory controller really does not buy as much as you might think.  Having an external memory controller is a huge benefit when using multiple CPU's.  A centrol point of memory control makes it much easier for the operating system to handle bus contention issues.

AMD's internal solution, requires a huge piece of system based software to manage the memory controllers in a multiple CPU environment.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:39:46 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
system upgrade.
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 04:39:09 PM »
were'd I put my flashy thingy ???

Im gonna need it after reading all this..

I think its time to play the waiting game ... unless you despartly need a new pc

I would think theres gonna be anouther price war soon ... but all is for not  if there isnt a better OS built to make use of whats coming . (i just dont see vista doing it..... its tooooo fubared already)
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
system upgrade.
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 04:47:59 PM »
But the first Quad core Conroes (next year?) are going to be two dual core ones 'glued' together, much the way the current P4 based dual cores are.

There isn't even a dual Conroe setup on the horizon as yet.
I think this is why AMD is gambling on the Torrenza dual X2/FX mobos, which can then be upgraded to dual K8L's (both dual and quad core versions).
Current and future AM2 mobos are 100% compatible with K8L.

Just a shame it's taken AMD so long to get their poop together.

Conroe could be my 1st Intel CPU in 3 years come 2007 if AMD hasn't got the cost right and/or Torrenza doesn't live up to expectations.

The 80% boost on Torrenza is preliminary, and using apps that favor hyperthreading, so I don't read too much into them until more 'real world' tests leak out. Oh and it was running Vista also, which doesn't bode well :( .
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
system upgrade.
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 04:51:41 PM »
"Don't cry for me Argentina!"

I think I'm good though. Despite having a Prescott, I'm running it socket 775 on a P5P800. Unless I'm mistaken, this board will be able to take a Conroe chip when it comes out. Yay me!

Now just a matter of saving up for 2 years to afford one!

I'm really looking forward to this. The chip development market has been stagnant for too long (relatively). If we ever want flying cars inside our lifetimes, we need to push technology. That's not going to happen unless there's major competition amongst the leading developers of the technology (that'd be AMD and Intel, mind you).

I hope this spirals off a major war, the kind not seen since the Pentium/K6 competition! :t

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
system upgrade.
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 04:58:59 PM »
Think you'll need a new motherboard, but 'should' be able to re-use your DDR2 memory, although Conroes seem to be as picky as X2's regarding memory.

Mobo compatibility list -

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101408
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 05:01:05 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
system upgrade.
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 05:03:57 PM »
Hold the phone! I coulda swore that one of those review sites for Conroe made a crack about "Should be able to use a P5P800 but wouldn't want to overclock it because of the power regulator" or some such remark!

Shazbot!!!!!!!

P.S. p5p800 has DDR1, so I'm shafted there as well.

I don't want to waste money on DDR2 if it's going to change shortly, requiring a new mobo in a couple of years. In my house we're not rich. A PC has to last 5 years before an upgrade (and most do on a regular basis).

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
system upgrade.
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 05:07:26 PM »
It'll be at least 2 years before DDR3 starts being used by CPU's and mommaboards.  I wish it would happen faster.  I hope I miss this prediction by a mile or two.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
system upgrade.
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 05:11:31 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
It'll be at least 2 years before DDR3 starts being used by CPU's and mommaboards.  I wish it would happen faster.  I hope I miss this prediction by a mile or two.

Think your about spot on with two years.
If I remember correctly though the slots are the same.

Although knowing how they love to tinker with specs etc, it'll probably all change by the time it 'arrives'.

OMG is that uncle 'Bill' doing commercials now?
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
system upgrade.
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 07:06:07 PM »
Bias is an ugly thing.

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
system upgrade.
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 10:25:20 PM »
I think i'm confused:confused: Thanks for all the input guys, i think i can wait 2-3 more weeks to see what happens with conroe. Maybe.;)  It will be hard, i do so want a new system.lol.

bmnot

AKNOT

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
system upgrade.
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 11:35:44 PM »
Originally posted by BMnot
I think i'm confused:confused: Thanks for all the input guys, i think i can wait 2-3 more weeks to see what happens with conroe. Maybe.;)  It will be hard, i do so want a new system.lol.

bmnot

Easy -

If you just can't wait - get a Conroe now. (On most forums guys who have ordered have said they aren't getting them untill 1st/2nd week in August).

If you can wait 1 week - AMD price drops, I'd still take an AMD 5000 over a Intel E6400, and it's only $60 more expensive. (Plus AMD socket AM2 will take K8L's in 2007)
Rest of them - Conroe has the advantage.

If you can wait till last quarter - See what AMD "Torrenza" brings with its dual core/dual processor possibilities.

If you can wait till 2007 - AMD K8L arrives.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
system upgrade.
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 07:04:53 AM »
More news from Intel:

"Intel today said that it has notified its partners that it has accelerated the roadmap for its quad-core processors. The launch has been pulled from the first half of 2007 into the fourth quarter of this year - in time to compete with AMD's 4x4 platform. Intel also indicated that the Pentium brand will move into the value segment of PCs."

Just FYI.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
system upgrade.
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 09:36:30 AM »
Love it, I smell even more price cuts come the end of the year :) .

This is what has been missing the last two years, a good old price war between Intel and AMD.
Good for us.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
system upgrade.
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 12:14:42 PM »
I have seen on the boards where people have talk about prob with dual core processors. Is that an intel issue and amd, or one or the other?

AKNOT