Author Topic: Plane is slow cant seem to increase the RPG higher then 30...  (Read 583 times)

Offline britishbloke

• Zinc Member
I havent played these types of games in a while.

After looking at the help guides im still having problems.

In the first offline mission I find it real hard to take off and keep hitting tanks in the way.

I do increase the engine speed by hitting = and sometimes I can do it.

Is the RPG supposed to get higher then 30? it shows it can. It seems like my plane isnt too fast. Very annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

And everytime I turn the plane always wants to go down!!!

Offline Target2

• Silver Member
Plane is slow cant seem to increase the RPG higher then 30...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 11:15:23 AM »
Hitting tanks - Use a different runway.
Throttle - use +/- to increase or decrease (at full you can add WEP using P)
Don't try to turn until you have built up some airspeed (over 200). Do this until you are more comfortable with the game.
71 Eagle Squadron

Offline britishbloke

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 11:44:26 AM »
Now my problem is the plane is going up too much. I tried using q and w and tht helps a little bit.

Offline Target2

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »
If your using a joystick, make sure you calibrate it. First in Windows, then in AH2. W will retract your flaps. This will reduce lift but also reduce drag, allowing you to gain airspeed.

Don't get discouraged, the learning curve for this game is very steep.

Check out Netaces.org there is allot of useful information.
71 Eagle Squadron

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 02:19:13 PM »
I'm curious, what is RPG?
I come up with rounds per gun.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Iceman24

• Nickel Member
      • http://479th.jasminemarie.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 02:24:34 PM »
u got to trim the plane by using the default buttons.  I ( nose down ) and U ( nose up ). Someone correct me if i'm wrong on the defaults, i have mine mapped to the wheel on my CH stick. Q and W are for flaps, which you really only want to use during landings or short field takeoffs and in dogfights in order to turn sharper, slow down, or help perform ACM's. Just remember anytime your using a notch or two of flaps that you are creating more drag on your aircraft and in turn it will be slower but because you have lowered the flap and increased the area of the wing you will be able to maneuver allot better at slower speeds, and it will help you keep controlled flight when really slow. Different planes will stall, or depart from flight at different speeds, so kinda get the hang of one aircraft before you switch to a new one. For beginners allot of the experienced pilots say you should generally start off with a plane that has a good turn rate such as a spit 9, you may want to start off with a plane from the spitfire family and get the hang of it before you start to fly the energy fighters like P47's and corsairs, there generally a little tougher to learn in. I think the spit 9 is one of the best planes to learn in, its a tight turner, good firepower and it only has 1 flap setting wich is either down or up so its a little less technical then the other planes.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 02:26:52 PM »
K = up elevator trim

If your new I'd stick with Combat Trim ON, let it do the work for you until you have a better handle on the planes flight.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 02:43:58 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 04:04:41 PM »
Trim: when youre new to the game (especially if you dont have much prior experience with realistic flight sims), i recommend using combat trim. In OPTIONS > PREFERENCES > Flight on your clipboard, you can enable "Auto Combat Trim"... this will keep you in Combat trim automatically. But you can always toggle combat trim manually by pressing default key (CTRL X) if you prefer.

For your speed/RPM issue. If you are in a plane that has WEP (most fighters, for example the Spits or the P51), you should be able to toggle extra power with P when youre at full throttle.
Or you can open E6B on your clipboard. All the engine settings (for Cruise, Normal or Military Power etc) are listed there, and you can compare with your gauges in cockpit.

If you have a throttle lever on your Joystick, keyboard commads are switched off. Make sure you calibrated throttle lever as well.

The plane going down/sideways is probably engine torque effects, which are more noticable at lower speeds. When on the ground, use rudder to counteract. In the air, its best to try and level off to gain speed. Avoid any hard maneuvering untill youve gained some speed. Were talking WW2 prop planes here, not MIG29s ;) - give them some time to accellerate. Listen to the buzzing sound, its your stall warning: youre about to loose control... get more speed/avoid hard maneuvers. Remember, Always be gentle with that stick of yours! :D

On the use of flaps: they will add lift (ie nose high tendency), but they also add a lot of drag. At the beginning, while you get a feeling on how to fly the planes in AH, i wouldnt worry about them except when landing. You dont really need them.

If you want to stay offline for the time being, i recommend you get yourself an easy to handle plane like a Spit Mk9 or a Hurricane Mk2 and get a feel for the Flight Model and try your aim on the drones.

But keep in mind you have a two week free trial for the online arenas. You can always come by the Training Arena and work with a member of the Trainer Corps. Also, usually there are longtime players online that can help you with getting started as well.

Check out http://www.netaces.org for hint and tips and writeups on gameplay, flying, combat tactics and a lot more.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 10:34:22 AM »
RPG = Rocket propelled grenade

I'm assuming that he meant RPM.  big stretch on the keyboard from g to m though

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 11:17:41 AM »
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=10

This thing moves a little faster than any of the WWII planes I think.

But If you put a bunch of them under your wings you might just go a little faster. LOL Well I think you could call the ME262 a big RPG I guess or the 163 but what the hey. Everyone have a good day :aok :rofl :O
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 01:39:16 PM »
I think he may be trying to fly with the keyboard.

While it is possible to adjust trims using keyboard only, actually
controls require a joystick.

I think you can use your mouse instead, but i wouldn't recommend it.