Author Topic: Training arena  (Read 422 times)

Offline ROXINATOR44

• Zinc Member
Training arena
« on: July 17, 2006, 06:24:34 PM »
#1.  I understand the rule of not engaging in the training arena unless you get permission, but what about launching from other airfeilds and seeing a convoy?  Are you  allowed to shoot at the vehicles?

I assume A1 is for training but any other location is ok to engage?

I've seen many of examples lately of people getting the boot, don't want to be one of them.

#2.  I've yet to run out of fuel, even at 25%, is this something that does not happen in the training arena?  

#3.  What's the deal When you hear Base under attack?  I went to one of the locations and got shot to pieces.  LOL.  Don't understand what i'm to do, if anything.  Just wanted to see what was going on.

#4.  In the main arena, do you just pick any airfeild and take off?  Do you get invited on a mission or just go to where the action is and hope for the best?  

#6.  To ask for a trainers assistance, do you just send them an email and tell them the time zone you are in an whne you are available or is there a schedule of where they are at and when they are on line?  Really need to learn more about using the radio and setting the channels better.  

To all that have helped the Rox, thank ya much.  Really new at this flying and taking everyones advice to practice.

I'm on line as Rox44

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Training arena
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 07:07:59 PM »
Originally posted by ROXINATOR44
#1.  I understand the rule of not engaging in the training arena unless you get permission, but what about launching from other airfeilds and seeing a convoy?  Are you  allowed to shoot at the vehicles?

--In that arena you ask permission to engage anyone with any weapon.

I've seen many of examples lately of people getting the boot, don't want to be one of them.

#2.  I've yet to run out of fuel, even at 25%, is this something that does not happen in the training arena?  

--Fuel burn in TA is 1.0 half that of MA. Check it with E6B.

#3.  What's the deal When you hear Base under attack?  I went to one of the locations and got shot to pieces.  LOL.  Don't understand what i'm to do, if anything.  Just wanted to see what was going on.

--Whenever an enemy gets inside a friendly base's radar, it sounds that warning. That base will flash on the map. In TA you do not have to defend it. It's just another player doing his training.

#4.  In the main arena, do you just pick any airfeild and take off?  Do you get invited on a mission or just go to where the action is and hope for the best?

--Wait until the map and people on it fully load, then decide where to takeoff. The field you log in at is rarely the best one to use. Check the Missions area on clipboard. usually they are announced fairly well on 2 Country channel.

--No #5?

#6.  To ask for a trainers assistance, do you just send them an email and tell them the time zone you are in an whne you are available or is there a schedule of where they are at and when they are on line?  Really need to learn more about using the radio and setting the channels better.  

--They respond fairly quickly to the emails. They are volunteers and have no set schedule but most frequent the arena often.

To all that have helped the Rox, thank ya much.  Really new at this flying and taking everyones advice to practice.

I'm on line as Rox44
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 02:18:25 AM »

If youre talking about those automated supply convoi, yes, you may engage them any time. You may even want to go for the Trains - they shoot back ;).

If its a player driven Vehicle, ask first.

Before engaging ANY player driven plane or vehicle, ask. No matter where.

Be respectful of others and youre in no danger. You get plenty warnings before being booted.

In the Training Arena, the fuel burn rate is set to 1.0. That means yes, you can run out of fuel. After what time depends on the amount of fuel and fuel consumption of your plane. Check the E6B on your clipboard while in flight for detailed info. If youre in a bomber, youll have fuel for over an hour i think.

The Map will help you find a fight. If you want to fly at a base thats under heavy attack, check the situation from tower first. If the base is being vulched, its better to start at an adjoining base and come in with a little altitude to fend off the attack.

The "Base under attack" just means that at some base an enemy came into radar range (makes that base flash). You can basically ignore that :).  

In MA you just do what you feel like doing. Its a game after all, youre under no obligations or duty - even though some Armchair Generals will always try to tell you different. So yes, just pick a base and take off.

If you want to join some coordinated effort, ask on country channel where you could help - be prepared for multiple and/or stupid answers though. If you want to join a set mission, check the MISSIONS on your clipboard. If one is scheduled, you can join there.

About Missions - from the Help File.

Yes, thats a good way to contact a trainer for a scheduled session. If they are online, they are usually around base a1 in the TA. Look out for dark blue radio text :). You can also check the Roster: Trainers have "Aces High Trainer Corps" as their Squad name.

For your radio question: Net Aces again!

Youre very Welcome! Keep asking :).

I'm on line as Rox44
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 07:00:01 AM »

Well if you're there to see someone get the boot, obviously there is a trainer there.  If a trainer's online, just ask them if they have a moment.  Sometimes, they may.  Sometimes they may be busy.  Either way it doesnt hurt to ask if all you need is a few questions answered.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Training arena
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:14:30 AM »
#1. I understand the rule of not engaging in the training arena unless you get permission, but what about launching from other airfeilds and seeing a convoy? Are you allowed to shoot at the vehicles?

--In that arena you ask permission to engage anyone with any weapon.

I should have clarified that. Anything with an icon you need to ask and get permission, to shoot.
Of course, that has an exception too, bomber drones. No icons there but you should ask the lead bomber if it's ok to shoot at them.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Training arena
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 10:40:04 AM »
Rox44,

I saw you up in the last day or so. Welcome aboard! :)

You can see the rules of the arena when you first enter. In fact, you must click ok to get rid of them. Many folks are in such a rush to get in and fly they sometimes forget to see exactly what it is they're clicking on. No big deal but because it's a place for learning people are doing all kinds of different things. All the way from just learning to take off, all the way up to advanced dogfighting. I suspect you are already finding out it can be pretty easy to get overloaded when trying to learn some portion of the game. Getting attacked may be a distraction when you're just learning to set up the landing pattern. We try to minimize a lot of outside distractions so you can concentrate on the task at hand. This allows you get more quality time to maximize your learning experience. The rewards of being able to get up in the Main Arena (MA) and get some kills and land them are part of what makes the game so much fun. We have a great community with a lot of people who enjoy flying and fighting with each other. The more you learn the more fun you will have.

The next time you enter the Training Arena (TA) spend few seconds and read it.

Alternatively, anytime you are in the TA just hit the esc key on your keyboard. The map (clipboard) will come up under the map is the list of options for the game. Click on Arena Message and the same Rules Message will pop up.

Any of the trainers are there for you although we sometimes get busy helping someone. If you be patient we will get to you. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have whenever you see me in the TA.For new folks, think of the game like this. 90% it is getting yourself all set up to fly and begin learning about the planes. How they handle, what their limits are, the views and stick settings. Once you get to the point your comfortable with a plane then you can begin working on the tactical aspects of fighting in a multi bogey environment.

Hope this helps.

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
Training arena
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 04:43:33 PM »
even if there are no trainers, most of the time there are people in the TA that will help to the best of their abilitys. usually just have to ask.

Welcome Aboard!!!  

Offline ROXINATOR44

• Zinc Member
Training arena
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 06:04:30 PM »
Thanks to all for your input.

Not sure where question #5 went to.

I believe it was this.  When looking at the map, how do you know when there's a carrier out there to practice landing on.

I'll also spend more time reading the help file and Netaces site, there is a ton of info out there.

I'm just tickled pink when i land and still have an engine running and a plane capable of taking off again.  Certainly not ready to shoot at anything.

Thanks again.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Training arena
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 06:07:05 PM »
Thanks to all for your input.

Not sure where question #5 went to.

I believe it was this.  When looking at the map, how do you know when there's a carrier out there to practice landing on.
Thanks again.

When you see the CV on map, itīs always green and therefore friendly.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Training arena
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 06:19:38 PM »
Friendly CVs are always marked on the map, their current course being shown as red arrows. They have a number like every base has, just with a  C in front (like C20 and C13, the two Bishop CVs in the TA). CVs are alway attached to a port and spawn for the country the port belongs to - in other words: to capture a CV you have to capture the port, then sink the CV... when the Task Group respawns after 10 mins, it belongs to you.

Enemy CVs are not marked on the map.

I actually think practicing takeoff and landings on airfields as well as on CVs is a very good thing for two reasons. First... even when it might not look like it right now, you WILL get two kills eventually.... imagine crashing on landing then. And believe me, you will be a whole bunch of nervousness on your first landing with kills in the book. Hands shaking :).

The second reason is, learning to land well and onto the point will teach you low speed handling, coordination of control input and precise control of heading and altitude. Especially landing on a CV deck. BTW, *every* plane in the game can be landed on a carrier :).
21 is only half the truth.