Author Topic: Shark attacks and the media  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Shark attacks and the media
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2001, 01:53:00 AM »
A friend of mine (old customer) was a playtoy for a great white.

Took off one arm, spun on the other... then decided he didn't taste good and let him go.

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2001, 09:15:00 AM »
'Summer of the Shark' overblown, scientists say
'There's nothing unusual about this year,' expert says

09/05/2001

By WILLIAM J. BROAD / New York Times News Service

A boy in Florida has his arm torn off by a shark and reattached by surgeons after a dramatic rescue. Two months later, a boy is killed by a shark off Virginia Beach. And two days after that, a man and woman are mauled on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

The danger from sharks could easily be seen as rising dramatically. Time magazine declared this the "Summer of the Shark" in a July 30 cover story bristling with images of razor-sharp teeth.

But notwithstanding the bloody attacks, which included six people injured in two August days at New Smyrna Beach in Florida, scientists said new fears were overblown.

There is no rampage. If anything, they say, the recent global trend in shark attacks is down, even as news media attention soars.

"It's been crazy," said George Burgess, a biologist at the University of Florida who runs the International Shark Attack File of the Florida Museum of Natural History. "The basic perception that we're having an exceptionally sharky year is wrong."

Robert Hueter, director of the Center for Shark Research at the Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, Fla., agreed. "There's nothing unusual about this year" in terms of attack numbers, he said.

Last year, he pointed out, a bull shark attacked and killed a man in shallow water near St. Petersburg. But it made few headlines and was quickly forgotten.

"In past years, all these incidents – even the fatal ones – would have been a local or regional news story," Mr. Hueter said.

But not this year. The attack on Sergei Zaloukaev, 28, and Natalia Slobodskaya, 23, off the Outer Banks in Avon, N.C., on Monday drew national attention. Mr. Zaloukaev was killed, and Ms. Slobodskaya was in critical but stable condition at a Norfolk, Va., hospital Tuesday after losing her left foot and suffering a deep wound to her hip. Mr. Zaloukaev is the first person killed by a shark in North Carolina since 1957.

Statistics from the shark-attack file based at the University of Florida depict the global number of shark attacks as down this year, with 52 reported so far. The overall number was 84 for 2000, 58 for 1999, and 54 for 1998. For the 1990s, the yearly average was 54.

But the number of unprovoked attacks grew throughout the 20th century and reached the high of 84 last year, the museum says. The 1990s had the highest number of attacks of any previous decade.

The perception of this year as a particularly bad one does have some backing in the statistics for the United States. During the Labor Day weekend two people died, while there were 51 attacks and one death in all of 2000. Only in 1994 were there two fatalities, and there were no deaths in six of the 11 years since 1990.

Scientists attribute the increase over the decades to millions more people going to the beach and the increasing popularity of water sports. The big attacks this year, they said, came on holiday weekends when beaches were crowded.

Another possible factor behind the rise, scientists said, is simply more reporting of assaults. The same occurs periodically when "outbreaks" of some types of cancer disappear. After careful study, they turn out not to have increased.

John Allen Paulos, a math professor at Temple University and the author of Innumeracy, said vivid television images were overpowering statistics to produce a false nightmare.

"Over the last decade, there's been a very small increase, attributable to more people in the water," he said. "But nothing really significant is going on."

As attackers of humans, sharks rank fairly low on the list of animals. In New York City alone – where the reporting of creature attacks has been thorough and voluminous – people reported 12,656 dog bites, 826 cat bites, 81 squirrel bites, 18 raccoon bites, 11 monkey bites, eight snake bites and seven bat bites in 1981.

Despite the relatively low number of shark attacks, a debate is stirring in scientific circles over whether human activity may be provoking some strikes. Some experts argue that tourist boats that feed sharks may be leading the killers to search for food in unfamiliar places.

Other experts say federal fishing limits set on sharks might be selectively encouraging the proliferation of vicious, unwanted species.

Sean Paige, a fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, argued recently in the National Review Online that the federal government was behind what he called the "shocking return of the shark." Attacks rose rapidly after 1993, he said, when the government started requiring deep cuts in the number of sharks that could be caught for sport or profit.

But Sonja Fordham, a shark fisheries expert at the Ocean Conservancy, a private group in Washington, said Mr. Paige had exaggerated the rise in attacks.

"This is an irresponsible argument" made to foster the shark-fishing industry, she said. "There's no basis for it in fact."

Moreover, scientists said, the shark population is dwindling dangerously. Atlantic shark populations are down about 75 percent compared with 25 years ago.

But Mr. Paige said those concerns are overblown and researchers don't know how many sharks are in the oceans.

The Associated Press and Cox News Service contributed to this report.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2001, 09:35:00 AM »
I think it's the media attacking Florida's tourist industry for electing Bush last Nov  :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2001, 09:37:00 AM »
LOL!  I think you're right Eagler.   :)
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

Offline Baddawg

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
This year its Sharks ,another year it was Pitbulls, next year it might be Cougars or Bears,or Black Widow Spiders or big giant fanged hairy Bunnys.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »
Yeah, but Nate, they're just hyping up the hype to sell a hyped up hype story.

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2001, 12:23:00 PM »
Oh yeah, I guess your right.
Those Bastards!

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »
worldwide , 100 people die every year from box jellyfish stings....but , tis not manly to hunt an kill "jelly' fish, only sharks

[ 09-05-2001: Message edited by: john9001 ]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »
Gadfly,

I dove the Flower Gardens about 4 years ago. At that time it was a preserve with no fishing allowed. Seems like the fish knew it as there were TONS of them in the area and few at the oil derreck we dove on the way back.

Has the preserve been changed?

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2001, 04:53:00 PM »
No, It has not.  I fished the area in the late seventies and early eighties, but keep in mind that I was fishing for fun.  I didn't keep anything(although I caught some very strange fish, and some definite keepers).  We would troll the rigs(and a few secret areas) all day, and then tie off to the mooring bouys at night instead of coming back to port.

This was fishing Marlin tournys, so there would be a string of 8 or nine boats tied up bow to stern.  Talk about a party!  After all the wineheads went to sleep, us mates would fish for fun and collect some of the larger flying fish for trolling.

I have only dove on the Gardens once, and the closer in rigs a few times; I prefer tropical locations to dive in.

Here is a pic my brother took; the fool likes to bait up sharks and swim with them:

Note the posture of the shark in the foreground, he is fixing to go ballistic.

Offline zapkin

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2001, 05:10:00 PM »
sharks are dweebs !  :p

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2001, 07:15:00 PM »
(since nobody's said it yet)

PERK THE SHARK!!!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2001, 12:43:00 AM »
Hey dudes.

Go swim in their natural habitat, and take your risk. Don't whine about if something happens.

Go skydive, and you might die. Don't blame gravity if you do.

Overfish, and don't be surprised if the top predators start looking for new hunting grounds.

Kill every shark withing 1 mile of the coastline? For what reason? So us humans can have yet another playground all for ourselves? For some exaggerated fear of something that actually kicks our butt in its own element?

I say we should start to shoot car drivers too - they kill way more people *on their way* to beaches than do sharks *near* the beaches.

Geesh. It's simple. we have the option of staying out of the water. Sharks don't. Sharks have been around for a wee bit longer than humans, and it'd be a tad bit sad that we'd decimate the shark population because we're more afraid of a statistically non dangerous thing (swimming) than a comparatively statistically dangerous thing (driving to the beach).

Sharks are cool. People suck.  :)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2001, 01:11:00 AM »
I wonder about these statistics (odds are better of getting struck by lightning or whatever) these are very distorted. They figure your odds of getting attacked in your lifetime, figuring in your whole life (not just time you are in the water) they also figure in people who never swim or never even see an ocean in their lifetime.
When did sharks become "warm fuzzy's"? When I lived at the beach sharks where vermin to be killed whenever possible for fun, food, or profit.
I’m all for preserving the environment but hunting dangerous animals who are in area's inhabited or frequented by humans is just good sense.
 A similar example is that a few years ago they passed a law in this state that you could no longer use hounds to hunt bear and cougar.  The amount of attacks by cougar on domestic animals and children went up sharply.
 I’m not saying we should kill every shark in the world, but I would definitely make it uncomfortable and unhealthy for them to hang out in the same places we do. And no I don't care if they where hear first, it's a damn fish. Compare that to the life of somebody’s kid and IMO that fish could be sushi

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick:
Gadfly,

I dove the Flower Gardens about 4 years ago. At that time it was a preserve with no fishing allowed. Seems like the fish knew it as there were TONS of them in the area and few at the oil derreck we dove on the way back.

Has the preserve been changed?

Mav

It is still a marine sanctuary. I dove the Flower Gardens last August and it was great. I saw quite a few black tips I followed one small school of black tips while solo diving  :)

At about 95 ft on one of the oil rigs I was watching some black tips when in came a 12 ft tiger shark and sawed a big jack in half like it was butter and turned back around and swallowed the other half. It was all so interesting I stayed down a bit too long, enough to go deco and had to do a rather significant safety stop, but I still got back on board with 800 psi.

I have dove with a lot of sharks (never baited) without problems. This includes schools of hammerheads and a number of 14ft Bull Sharks off the coast of Costa Rica, near Bat Island, at a famous dive site called "Big Scare"  :) lol

The Bull Sharks made my heart race because they were really huge. They were large enough to have bitten a person in half very easily. They were routinely within 8 to 10 feet of me swimming by for a look and circling as well.

I was on the bottom, trying to remain still so as not to scare them away!! really