Author Topic: Damn, these B26's are made of Kevlar  (Read 679 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Damn, these B26's are made of Kevlar
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 05:28:51 PM »
B24s were new, up to new standards. That is why they flame. B17s didn't used to until they were upgraded to modern standard. I'm pretty sure that B26s, Lancasters, and especially Ju88s and Ki67s will all light up like a zippo once they are all upgraded.

Don't forget every upgrade isn't just visual. It includes things like damage model revisiting etc etc.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 05:32:06 PM »
Originally posted by Whisky58
Anyone got any data on relative survival figures between B26s & other bombers during WW2?

I don't know what data it's based on, but I've repeatedly seen the B-26 having very low losses.  

"the B-26B maintained the lowest loss record of any combat aircraft during World War II" -- wiki article

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 05:41:49 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
B24s were new, up to new standards. That is why they flame. B17s didn't used to until they were upgraded to modern standard. I'm pretty sure that B26s, Lancasters, and especially Ju88s and Ki67s will all light up like a zippo once they are all upgraded.

Cripes!! i hope the mossie doesn't get updated! :;) :)

I've always found the b26s hard to down, but it's more because of their speed.  A few passes and i end up with their dead 6 presented to me.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 05:42:48 PM »
Only, it was considered a widow-maker to the crews that flew it due to crashes, training, and other problems. There was a myth that the high wing loading was the culprit, but these were disspelled with an education campain that included films for the flight crews on the proper way to fly the B26.