Author Topic: Testing bare metal on B-17's  (Read 1173 times)

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
Testing bare metal on B-17's
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 11:45:15 PM »
nice one:eek: :aok

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 09:11:35 PM »
jest a thought from a texture mapper dood from long ago ..who loves the B-17..

When I did the textures for AW bare metal planes ..I took my cues right from photographs of the planes I could find ..(I have a LOT of them)

..since game engines can't do all the reflections there are, as the texture mapper ..you have to put some in. Not too much .. just enough to hint at it ..and the human eye-brain interface will put in the rest because it expects it to be there.

ie: a little brighter, more contrast on topside ..a little duller, less contrast on the bottom side ..a 'horizon' line down the fuselage (I chose level flight attitude, cause that's where you see them most when yer flyin em')

..a little 'concrete' color below the horizon line, darkening as the texture progressed to bottom center of fuse, cowl, etc.

For topside, you gotta mix a lil blue in ..these planes dint fly in massively bad weather (solid gray skies) if they could help it.. it was partly cloudy or clear on best days.

For examples you can check out some stuff still up at +mia's web site dedicated to the San Francisco Veteran Pilot's Association:

http://www.worldwar2pilots.com/ww2GrayEagleHangar.htm

-GE ( combat planes weren't museum peices, they leaked, had patches,
..and that new aluminum glaring shine dint last long, but bare aluminum even 2 years old still reflects rainbows of color )
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 10:55:22 AM »
I was always a fan of all your artwork, GE :aok

..and still am.

It would be nice to see you put out a few skins.:)

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 09:23:47 PM »
thx Motley .. right now I am eyeballin 'pre-req's' and then finishin my Registered Nurse AA degree .. then I will be lookin at a bachelor's degree in same ..motivated mostly by how much I enjoy bein a nurse, and the desire to do more ..and the pay is very good as you bump up :)

It will be awhile before I come home an just dive into a 'skin' project.
(also looking into buildin another project car over the next few years..gonna get out an *do* stuff .. yanno?)

-GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE