Author Topic: Plastic models  (Read 799 times)

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Plastic models
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 10:08:20 AM »
The Royal Navy?

If I remember right they had trouble with Germany's few battleships.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Plastic models
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 10:16:56 AM »
Apparently, Polish divers have just found the scuttled wreck of the Graf Zeppelin.

Check out the article in Der Spiegel and click on the photo gallery for some very interesting images.

Notice: Large image files....

The 109Ts were to eventually be replaced with a highly modified derivative of the 109 airframe:
"The Messerschmitt company submitted the Me 155, which was basically a navalized Bf 109G. It had a fuselage basically similar to that of the standard Bf 109G, but with an entirely new wing. The undercarriage retracted inwards into wing wells, providing the wider track required for safe carrier landings. Standard naval equipment such as folding wings, catapult spools, and arrester hooks were fitted. The powerplant was a 1475 hp Daimler-Benz DB 605A-1 liquid-cooled engine. Armament was to be one engine-mounted 20-mm MG 151 cannon and two 20-mm MG 151 cannon and two 13-mm MG 131 machine guns in the wings. Estimated maximum speed was 403 mph."

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Plastic models
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2006, 10:37:43 AM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
The Royal Navy?

If I remember right they had trouble with Germany's few battleships.

Not as much trouble as the Germany had with the Royal Navy.

Take some time and read about the issues that faced Germany's fleet in WWI. That experience shows that building a fleet is one thing, being able to operate it is another. Single ships, or pairs of ships can sometimes slip through a naval blockade. Thus, commerce raiders can often do some harm. However, eventually they will need to refuel, rearm and refit. Also, they will be hunted by vastly superior forces.

A carrier cannot operate alone. Moreover, it has no viable defense beyond its aircraft. Inasmuch as the Brits had many more carriers and a vast array of battleships, fast battleships, battlecruisers and cruisers, a German carrier would require a considerable force of screening warships. As well as support ships, such as oilers. Such a force WILL be detected and will not be able to avoid being engaged by any and all forces available.

The chances of such a task force sailing past Kristiansand (Norway) and not being detected by the Norwegian coast watchers was virtually nil. The Brits would have known of the task force's passage within an hour and the Royal Navy would have sortied from Scapa Flow in force, with Coastal Command and Bomber Command preparing both a search and strike missions.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Plastic models
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2006, 10:45:36 AM »
Very true. Thankyou.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Plastic models
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 11:06:01 AM »
By the way BlueJ1, if you don't have an American CVE in your carrier collection, Tamiya makes a nice 1/700 scale model of a Bogue class CVE, about $21 via web purchase.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 11:09:32 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing