Author Topic: Why not smaller maps??  (Read 574 times)

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
Why not smaller maps??
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:28:28 PM »
Honestly, after being away from AH for five whole years... I come back and the MA is just a drag. The software has come leap years though.

I thought about Axis vs. Allies arena, and the map is about 12 times larger than it really ought to be. No radar. No way to find out where anyone is. About seven people logged in during the peak... so you fly around for about an hour and can't find anyone to fly with or against and then you leave. Probability is working against you.

Why not have a smaller map, and at least sector counters?

-IC

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Why not smaller maps??
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 01:34:40 AM »
The radar is on in the AvA, just with the historical settings (right click on your clipboard and select radar to see the size of the radar circles). Sector counters should also be enabled.

As to finding anyone, or where the fight is, try asking on the country channel or on channel 200 - since we don't have the old ch1 enabled any more, 200 is where most people are for cross-country communications.
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Why not smaller maps??
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 07:36:56 AM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
The radar is on in the AvA, just with the historical settings (right click on your clipboard and select radar to see the size of the radar circles). Sector counters should also be enabled.

As to finding anyone, or where the fight is, try asking on the country channel or on channel 200 - since we don't have the old ch1 enabled any more, 200 is where most people are for cross-country communications.

Panzzer's right, just ask and folks will clue you in to where the fight is.

The maps are this size because that's what our gifted map maker volunteers produce.

Welcome back!  Numbers are running a bit low now because it's summer, but the fights are every bit as good as always.

- oldman

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
Low numbers not because of summer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 05:27:32 PM »
Low numbers... The current map design bites. Every time i log on NO ONE is in AVA. I been flying in MA. Please fix this setup!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Why not smaller maps??
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 09:53:09 PM »
I dont think its the map as much as it is the dreadfull pace of RPS advancement and the fact that planes are removed without having planes added (Me110 for instance) actually reducing the amount of flyable airplanes at any given time.

I like the RPS but I feel needing a month to mature a theater campaign simply takes too long.

In any event, once P47s and P51s...Temps and such dweebery comes along in this euro theater RPS , the numbers will improve, sometime towards the end of August :rolleyes:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Why not smaller maps??
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 11:47:43 PM »
After the Finnish summer the eurotime AvA numbers will get better :)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Low numbers not because of summer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 08:27:12 AM »
Originally posted by 1azbaer
Low numbers... The current map design bites. Every time i log on NO ONE is in AVA. I been flying in MA. Please fix this setup!

We would be delighted to have you design us a new map, sir.  

- oldman (Remember to run it by Skuzzy when you're done.)

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Re: Low numbers not because of summer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 10:43:34 PM »
Originally posted by 1azbaer
I don't think it is so much map related . . . possibly set-up related?  Once too many times to this particular well, so to speak?

"Manchuria" seemed to go over rather well in terms of numbers / enthusiasm (totally unbiased observation, of course :D ).  I think it was because it was somewhat novel setup, one rarely seen in the AvA. . .

. . . Are people just burnt out on BOB?

'Cause, the AvA has had ZERO people in it nearly every time I have checked.  

Last night I finally went in there solo hoping someone would see someone was already there and show up.  A couple folks dropped in eventually, but I don't think at any point more than 3 people were in the air. :(  And those that did come in left soon after they decided I was not of sufficient skill to put up much of a fight (Iculus layed off his hizookas and took me down with his Spit V's .303s -- need I say more?)
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Why not smaller maps??
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 10:28:33 AM »
What time of the year is it?

:)
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Why not smaller maps??
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 11:35:07 AM »
I think maybe doubling the speed with which the RPS progresses wouldn't hurt much.  Maybe compress this thing down into 14 days.

Just a suggestion
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 11:37:12 AM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Why not smaller maps??
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 11:55:49 AM »
Well, we've got 2 weeks (15 days actually) of this one left, let's see this one through as planned. And I'm suspecting the summer has something to do with the numbers...
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
Why not smaller maps??
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 02:29:11 PM »
I will be back when the newer planes arrive:D
325th Checkertails

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
Why not smaller maps??
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 07:33:22 PM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
And I'm suspecting the summer has something to do with the numbers...
You guys keep saying that, and it may be true for Euro-times with your eight months vacation or whatever you all get . . .

But it is hard to believe that is the issue in US primetime when the MA still has 500+ at the same time as AvA has zero. :(

Truly, neither this nor my other post are meant as a whine or criticism - - I was just hoping to elicit some constructive feedback from other AvA boardgoers.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."