Author Topic: Hunter orange  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Hunter orange
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2002, 10:44:00 AM »
Ok here's this animal/plant activism taken to the extreme...

My step father buys damaged fruits and vegi's from the produce, because he feels sorry for them because nobody else will buy them.

We went catfishing in a stock tank one time (oooh the challenge) he caught his fish (2 of em) and when it came time for us to skin and clean them he couldn't.  He had freakin named them!!!!!!  

This from a 50 yr old Texas man :rolleys: Needless to say his 2 new pets got eaten   :)  I don't mind cleaning fish hehe.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Udie ]

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Hunter orange
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2002, 12:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Animal:
Hehehe, and the tree huggers lose a battle.

I think you'll find most hunters to be "tree huggers."

Hunting (or culling) is a valuable tool in wildlife management. Hunters get the benefit of doing something they enjoy that also benefits the eco-system.
sand

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
Hunter orange
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2002, 09:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tah Gut:
Pigs are omnivores.

Yes they are, my bad. They are however fed herbivorily  :) "yes i just invented a new word"   domestic pigs are anyway. Though I have  seen pigs eat another sows young, and ive seen them lift the tin on the barn and eat the plywood underneath.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Hunter orange
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2002, 10:51:00 AM »
Back to the original post:  isn't illegal to live trap an animal, even if you then release it?  I would also think putting a vest on an animal would be illegal.  Plus how long would it take to trap 400 animals and put a vest on each one?  I'm skeptical about this story.

Venison tastes goooood.

ra

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Hunter orange
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2002, 11:27:00 PM »
As an avid hunter, I would never shoot in the direction of an orange vest, especially if a deer was wearing it...  ;)

Always take time to ID your target.  Hunting does not require quick action.  It's just not that important to kill a deer, when compared to the alternatives.  Besides, if I saw a deer wearing an orange vest,  I would probably think it was someone's pet or something, and would not shoot it.

Les

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Hunter orange
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2002, 11:56:00 PM »
Well last year here right outside of Birmingham they did something really well thought out. At a state park called Oak Mountain State Park they opened two weeks of gun season in the park.

The reason for it was the previous 4 years they had noticed an increase in the total numbers of deer in the population. The reason was this area of several thousand acres is the only real forest country in the area. It is in an area of increased residential growth and the deer are flocking to it to live and hide.

The only rule was you could take a maximum of two deer in the entire two week period. This year they are supposed to open it up for two weeks at the end for guns and another two weeks for bow hunters. Plus the wildlife biologists have stated that they need to reduce the population by as many as 400 animals over the next three years in order to keep starvation from becoming a problem.

Time to use the old brush popper. Winchester Model 94 .30-30

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Reschke ]
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"