Author Topic: Opteron upgrade  (Read 266 times)

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
Opteron upgrade
« on: December 19, 2006, 06:09:11 PM »
OK so I have a Opty 170 coming...
What do I Need to run AH without problems....
What I have now

Athlon 3200 64
a8n Sli Deluxe
 3 megs ddr 400
xFx 7600 256 pci 16 vidio cd
Sata hatachi 80 gig
WP Pro
I run it overclocked about 10%.....

many thanks in advance
Gatr
FeeLIN the need for speed
lol

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Opteron upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 05:33:46 AM »
If it's dual core, follow the instructions in the sticky thread.  Basically update your bios, plop in the cpu, install the patches.

If it's not a dual core, then just update the bios and drop in the cpu.

You might get better memory performance using just 2 sticks of memory.  You have 3 gig, which tells me you're probably not running in dual channel mode and almost certainly not running at 1T memory command rate.  AMD systems run "best" with 2 x 1 gig sticks of memory in dual channel mode, at 1T command rate.

Other than that, your system looks fine.  Heck, even before the opty cpu it should run AH just fine.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
Opteron upgrade
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 05:50:57 AM »
eagl
many thanks for the input...  I now have 2 sticks of crucial 512 ea..
And another 2 sticks of 1gb on the way... If the 512's need to get peelin I can give them to my son he needs more anyhow :)...
 I am a ram newbe on this command rate stuff???
Give me kinda a clue on that... When I build these things I just set the ram settings to AUTO and every thing seems to run fine...
I updated my bois last nite and read the stuff on Skuzzie's sticky....
The Opty is comin today... so I will be runnnin Duel core....
It does run AH pretty well but since the last update I get occasional stutters at the worst times....  
But ya know you just can't have your wife with a faster box than yours..
I just built her one and I have MGZ envy

This is the ram I have coming?? any thoughts??

Crucial
DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64
Module Size 2GB kit (1GBx2)
Package 184-pin DIMM
Feature DDR PC3200
Configuration 128Meg x 64
DIMM Type UNBUFFERED
Error Checking NON-ECC
Speed DDR400
Voltage 2.6V
Memory Timings CL=3

lol
Let me know about that ram deal..
thanks again
Gatr
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:00:17 AM by Gatr »

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Opteron upgrade
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 07:19:47 AM »
If you pull the 512 meg sticks and put in the 1 gig sticks, it ought to auto-detect and run at the best speed it's rated for.  In BIOS, there should be a memory option for command rate, either 2T or 1T.  1T is faster but most AMD systems won't run at 1T when you have more than 2 sticks of memory installed.  "auto" ought to work fine, but if you find that it's running 2T command rate, you might consider manually setting 1T and seeing if it works ok.  It may autodetect to 1T by itself... my system automatically chose 1T for me.

Crucial memory is pretty good, and it's what I usually buy.  The last time I upgraded, I got a good deal on some g-skil memory that runs at CAS 2 (faster than CAS 3 like you bought) but we're only talking a percent or two difference speed in some applications, not enough to worry about when running AH.  Crucial has a great RMA policy if you get defective memory, and I think that's more important than squeezing the last percent of speed out of the memory.  If your memory dies, you just email Crucial or your retailer and they should send you replacements.  If my G-Skil memory dies, I'm probably out of luck trying to get it replaced.

The second cpu core and extra memory ought to help the stutters.  About the only other thing that will help stutters is getting a super uber video card with 512 meg memory which could reduce texture loads, but even then it might not help since several issues could cause AH stuttering.

After the cpu and memory upgrade, you're going to have a fine system.  You might get a little speedup with a better video card or might be able to turn on better antialiasing with a higher resolution, but your system is going to be in one of those "sweet spots" in terms of overall performance.  To get much more performance running AH, you would have to start spending a stupid amount of money.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
Opteron upgrade
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 07:46:33 AM »
eagl
I have had pretty good luck with the Crucial...  
I gave my wife my 512 6800gt envidia vid card..
when I built her box...  The 7600 is faster w/ less ram it made NO
diff in the stutters... They seem to be caused by sound and as I have an onboard sound I thought the extra ram would go along way to helping?
Also one question on the ram any thought on overclocking???
Is the cas2 gonna help there?
I have no problem w/  retuning this stuff when it comes in and upgrading it to the lower cas if you  think it would help me....

Thanks again
Gatr

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
Opteron upgrade
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 02:41:41 PM »
I got rid of my sound stutters by turning down the sound acceration in Directx to 3/4 instead of 1 .

Hope you can find it , think the info "how to" is in Skuzzys sticky post .

xFx 7600 256 pci 16 >  I been "looking" at one of those in AGP on NewEgg.com

Did you notice a big differance when you went from 6800gt to that one ?
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
Opteron upgrade
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 02:48:45 PM »
airspro,
 I moved it down to3/4... I can't tell any change...
And honestly there is no real change in the video cards....
I ran 3dmark06 and the numbers were very close...
The 6800GT had 512 and 7600 has 256....
THe game really runs fine... it's mostly I can't stand my wife having a faster computer even though mine is just for games at home and she really WORKS with hers... Also the 939 pin board chip I am afraid will be harder top come by.....
Gatr

Offline Gatr

• Copper Member
Opteron upgrade
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 03:45:28 PM »
CCBBE 0610DPMW   my  Opty number

Got my Opty in runnin great....

Many thanks...
for all your hlp
Gatr