Author Topic: The planes we truly need most.  (Read 10564 times)

Offline VooWho

• Silver Member
The planes we truly need most.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 01:32:20 PM »
My List

France:
D.520
Amiot 354
Curtiss P-36

Germany:
Do-17z
Do-217
Ju-188
Ju-52
He-111

Japan:
Ki-43
Ki-44 Shoki Tojo
G4M

Italy:
CR-42
Re2001
Piaggio P.108
SM.79 Sparviero

American:
P40N
B17F
B25C
B24D
A-26

RAF:
Gloster Gladiator
Halifax
Wellington
Westland Whirlwind (1938 2 engined fighter with a top speed of 360mph, and was faster than a spit at low alt, was highly manoeuvrable, and had 4 20mm cannons in the nose.) Due to engine problems at the beginning of its service only 2 squadrons used them. Maybe a perk for this early war fighter?

Russia:
Pe-8
Pe-2
I-16
Mig-3
Tu-2
Non Sibi Sed Patriae!

Offline 68Turbo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 02:02:39 PM »
Yeah, probably many years from now, Aces High II (or whatever the name will be) may turn out to be so complex, with so many different planes, that you would be able to reenact almost any small, fairly unknown battles in the SEA. I'm focusing on the really popular planes, ones that people have probably heard of, Karnaks list is the one that I would probably agree with most. Only the American F's, P's, the British Spits and partially the Hurricanes (we could use more), and the German Fw's, and Bf's,  are just about the only panes that have an early-late war lineup. And that would probably be AHII's greatest asset if HTC could make most of the planes like that. So this is currently my list....

LaGG
La-3
MiG-3
Yak 1
Yak 3
Yak 5
Yak 7
He-111
Ju-52
B-25
B-29
P-39D and Q
Pe-2
Pe-8
I-16
D.520

VG-33
M.S.406
Bloch MB.162
Bloch MB.175

^Your opinion on those, I thought they were alright additions for French

A6M3
B6N2
D4Y2
G4M2
J2M3
Ki-43-II
Ki-44-II
Ki-61-I-Otsu
Beaufighter
Firefly
Mossy B. IV
Mossy B. XVI
B17-E
F6F-3
Sea Hurricane Mk. IC
Hurricane Mk. V
Hurricane Mk. IV (maybe)

Boy, HTC has a lot of work to do.... :huh :O :furious :cry :aok

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 05:34:25 PM »
B29
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline 68Turbo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 07:58:27 PM »
B29 is in there, lol.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 08:20:12 PM »
F7F
F8F
B29
That is all.

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 08:28:09 PM »
B-32 Dominator

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline VooWho

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 10:34:43 PM »
Did the B-32 have combat missions in WW2, or just patrol like most unknown bombers?
Non Sibi Sed Patriae!

Offline 68Turbo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 11:18:41 PM »
With the size of that thing, probably patrol.

Offline toadkill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 11:59:59 PM »

YEAH BABY!!!!!!
<S>
Toad

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 12:32:00 AM »
Operational History:
The first assignment of the B-32 began when General George Kenney the commander of Allied air forces in the South West Pacific Area, and commander of the U.S. Fifth Air Force, travelled to Washington D.C. to request B-29s. Since needs were higher elsewhere in the Pacific Theatre, Kenney’s request was denied. After that, he requested the B-32. Following a demonstration, the Army General Staff agreed that he could conduct a combat evaluation, and a test schedule of eleven missions was set up. If successful, the B-32 would replace all B-24s in the Pacific. The plan was to convert the 312th Bombardment Group (Light), a Douglas A-20 Havoc outfit, to B-32s. Special crews took three B-32s to Clark Field, Luzon, Philippine Islands in mid-May 1945, and after a month of minor shakedown flights, the test period was completed on the 17 June. The test crews were impressed with its unique reversible-pitch inboard propellers and the Davis wing which gave it excellent landing performance. However, they found the cockpit had an extremely high noise level, poor instrument layout, the bombardier's vision was poor, it was overweight and the nacelle design resulted in frequent engine fires.

Three B-32s were assigned to the 386th Bomb Squadron of the 312th Bomb Group of the Kenney’s 5th Air Force. On 1945 May 29, the first mission was flown against a supply depot at Antatet in the Philippines. On the 15 June 1944 two B-32's dropped sixteen 2,000 pound (907 kg) bombs on a sugar mill at Taito, Formosa. On the 22 June 1944 one of two B-32s bombed an alcohol plant at Heito, Formsoa with 500 pound bombs (227 kg) but the second B-32 missed flak positions with its 260-pound (118 kg) fragmentation bombs. The last mission was flown on June 25 against bridges near Kiirun in Taiwan. The testing missions were mostly successful, and the B-32 was set up to replace the B-24. In July the 386th Bomb Squadron completed the transition. It flew six combat missions using the B-32 before the war ended. On the 13 August 1945 the 386th moved from Luzon to Yontan airstrip on Okinawa and flew mostly photographic reconnaissance missions. On August 17 the 386th Squadron conducted a mission over Japan, and was attacked by flak and fighters. Despite the Japanese surrender on August 15, on August 18 a formation of 14 Japanese Imperial Navy A6M2 Zero's and Army Ki44 Tojo fighters attacked a pair of B-32's conducting aerial photography of the Japanese Islands. The B-32-CO Dominator "Hobo Queen II" (s/n 42-108532) suffered extensive damage during the attack. Three photographers in "Hobo Queen II", Sergeant Anthony J. Marchione, SSgt. Joseph M. Lacharite, and Sgt. John T. Houston were at the camera hatch at the rear of the aircraft when that section of the plane was riddled with gunfire. Despite his own wounds, SSgt. Lacharite began administering first aid to the badly wounded Sgt. Marchione, but a second fighter pass wounded Marchione again. Despite continuing efforts from his crewmates to keep him alive, Sgt. Marchione died on the aircraft. This was the last confirmed aerial engagement of the Second World War, and Sgt. Marchione was the last confirmed Allied combat casuality of the war. "Hobo Queen II" claimed two confirmed Zeros destroyed in the action as well as a probable Tojo. Following this incident U.S. servicemen would be ordered to cut the propellers off any Japanese aircraft they found.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline sonic23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2006, 03:24:33 AM »
I dont think we need anymore la's or yaks but the Mig-3 would be awesome.
Sonic23 ++Blue Knights++
Sonic27 -==Hell Hounds==-

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2006, 04:40:29 AM »
B-25? Why? We already have the B-26 which is rather close in usablility.

Probably the same kind of pair as Ju88 and He111. The other is enough.

I'd like to see early Russian fighters, too.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2006, 08:29:00 AM »
"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glostor Meteor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Limited combat time, not needed."

Did get used as much even as some aircraft we have.
Would fill a gap between the prop planes and the 262, and become the 262's only true threat apart from the 163.

Then of course, Lagg, I-16, CR42 (doesn't go without Gladiator), Beaufighter, He 111, D520, Firefly, Hayabusha, Tu-2, B-25,  P39/63 and more.
BTW, I didn't mention any of the "family members" that we have, such as La and Yak etc....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline 68Turbo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2006, 11:46:54 AM »
Lol, toad, you know those are F-23's, right? The F-22 is what the U.S. military flies, lol. And, Diablo, I'm guessing that you're saying that the B-32 was a bomber, but was not that good, therefore limiting its number of bombing missions in late WWII, and instead making it more useful as a patrol planes to scout the Japanese islands. ;)

Offline toadkill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2006, 12:51:53 PM »
yes thats the YF-23 blackwodow. it was the other prototype opposite to the YF-22 raptor. it was made by northtrop-grumman, and mcdonnell. whereas the f-22 was made by lockheed, and rockwell. i know
<S>
Toad