Author Topic: Landing tank sorties  (Read 781 times)

Offline skysnipr

• Zinc Member
Landing tank sorties
« on: September 04, 2006, 09:58:52 AM »
How do you land an offensive tank sortie without capturing the base? If you take a tank out to attack an enemy base, are you doomed to be killed or captured unless someone brings an M3 in? Or can you go back to the spawn point and land it? If you can find the spawn point, that is.

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 11:42:17 AM »
Ah yes, the mystery of safely landing a vehicle.  This is just from observation, hopefully someone has a definitive official answer.

Exiting with the vehicle on concrete at a base or town you own will always be a successful landing.

Exiting on grass near a base or town you own that is not flashing and with no enemy nearby will be a successful landing.

Exiting near an enemy base is a crapshoot.  If there is no enemy nearby, meaning ground or air, you will probably be captured within 5 miles of the base.  If there are enemy about, the closest will get a proximity kill.

Driving back to the spawn point has the best chance of success, but if there are any enemy vehicles lurking near there they'll get a proximity kill.

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 11:07:16 PM »
One time I was in a Tiger at an NME base, camping behind the VH..  I had like 16 or so kills then they started uping IL's, Typhs and for some strange reason 1 guy in a 205 lol :huh    

Both my tracks got shot out by the planes and when I had some 25 or so combined tank and plane kills I managed to kill the VH as my turret was smacked.    1 of my squad mates manged to get me supplys while 3 or 4 more planes augered into the ground around me.  

I started running while the IL's kept trying to get me, more slamming into the ground and the last hitting a tree.  I ran and ran as they kept after me for a bit then finally gave up.  I drove for something like a sector and a half to the nearest base and because it was under attack I had to settle for landing at the town.  It worked and I got my 32 kills lol....  I've never driven that far in a GV sence. :)
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 03:37:54 AM »
Originally posted by Flayed1
I've never driven that far in a GV sence. :)

And you wouldn't have if the GV's had actual fuelburn :D

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 04:40:46 AM »
Im by no means a GV expert, so take this info  with a lot of caution.

AFAIK you can land successfully near your spawn point within about 1 mile radius(Right click map and check "Vehicle spawns" to see where they are) IF theres no enemy plane/GV around and you did not suffer any damage.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 02:15:28 PM »
Just a question,  did gv's in AH ever have fuel burn???  If they did I'm guessing it was whined away. :)   And also how many miles can a Tiger/panzer go on a tank of go juice anyhow?
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 02:27:36 PM »
Originally posted by Flayed1
Just a question,  did gv's in AH ever have fuel burn???  If they did I'm guessing it was whined away. :)   And also how many miles can a Tiger/panzer go on a tank of go juice anyhow?

The range of a Tiger was usually stated as about 195km on the road or 110km cross-country. Wich would translate into a duration of about 5h if constantly moving. Fuel consumption should not really be an issue unless we change vehicle fuel  multiplier to 10.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 05:07:53 PM »
Originally posted by frank3
And you wouldn't have if the GV's had actual fuelburn :D

Not like I would drive it 150 miles if it did. :D

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:31:58 PM »
What exactly is the safe radius you must be away from the enemy to "land" at a spawn point?

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 07:19:47 AM »
Originally posted by Tiger
What exactly is the safe radius you must be away from the enemy to "land" at a spawn point?
I have found if they are out of icon range, it's safe (6K)
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Muskie6

• Zinc Member
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 09:19:11 AM »
I had a stange one last night. Rolled a Tiger out of the VH on an airbase to kill a panzer that was hiding in a bomber hangar, before I got there another panzer killed the guy in the hangar. I am on the pad (definately on concrete), still rolling, and end mission. I got a ditch!!?? The only thing out of the ordinary, is that I was still rolling.

Did I get the ditch, because I was still rolling, even on concrete? Or just one of those weird AH things?:furious

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 09:32:55 AM »
Originally posted by Muskie6

Did I get the ditch, because I was still rolling, even on concrete?

Yes. You can't safely exit from a moving vehicle.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 09:41:49 AM »
I posted this in the 'Wishlist' but,

I think the game needs a zone at the spawn point that lets you land no matter what.  It could be a hanger or just a pad.  

Right now there is an incentive NOT to attack in a gv.
JG11

Vater

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 12:21:43 PM »
Originally posted by Virage
I posted this in the 'Wishlist' but,

I think the game needs a zone at the spawn point that lets you land no matter what.  It could be a hanger or just a pad.  

Right now there is an incentive NOT to attack in a gv.
I am not convinced.  I know of lots of folks who regularly attack in GV's. (Ever heard of the LTAR’s?)

Even if there was a "safe zone", I would still fight till the end.   If I drove 15 min to get to the base/town why would I waste my time to drive 15 min back to get a safe landing?  All I would lose a few perks and maybe a "name in lights" message by hanging in there.  I would rather up another vehicle and be out there effecting the outcome of the battle, than going RTB for nothing but vanity.

IMHO, the only people that won't attack with a GV are the sissies who stay on concrete at a base so they can end sortie when they hear the bombs falling or they get pinged, only to up again (rinse and repeat).  
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
Landing tank sorties
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 01:47:22 PM »
Originally posted by Scca
I am not convinced.  I know of lots of folks who regularly attack in GV's. (Ever heard of the LTAR’s?)

I'm not saying it NEVER happens,  but I find many more players camping or defending than attacking, especially in perked gvs.  I also hear a lot griping about not being able to land or "How far do I have to drive before I can land these kills?"

Planes always have a safe landing about 5 min away.  Why not gvs too?
JG11

Vater