Author Topic: Onboard networking or separate card  (Read 310 times)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Onboard networking or separate card
« on: August 07, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
Wasn't quite sure where to put this..  but it is a tech question.

Subject says it all.  The msi MB I have has the marvell adapter on it. Actually it has 2 .

1  marvell 88E1111-----disabled
2  marvell 88E8053---- this one in use Nforce networking controller

The one in use appears to be adequate or...

Would it be better to get a separate network card?

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 05:47:56 PM »
Ever hear about the KISS system? (Keep It Simple, Stupid) Well there is a "sister" system to that one. If it works don't mess with it! :rofl

How ever if you want to mess with it your on your own! I'm sure it would depend heavily on what each unit uses as its componets. You could buy an expencive unit to add on, but then your at the mercy of the connection on the MB. The one on the MB maybe a "cheaper" model, but does have a more solid connection being part of the board.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »
Actually Fug, a PCI connector doesn't bring any significant connection/resistance problems with communicating to the card.

The issue that comes up when deciding between an onboard device and a card based device is if the onboard device is a complete unit or if it shares resources with the rest of the computer. This comes into play mostly with the AC97 sound cards and some onboard video devices. They steal processor cycles and memory from the main system and they are not the best solution for playing AH. A separate card is the best way to go with them.

Bronk, I googled you card and didn't see any significant issues with it. I would say that if you are not experiencing any significant problems related to Ethernet latencies I would stay with what you have. i.e. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 01:56:50 PM »
I know Krusty said he had serious issues with that onboard NIC, and others have as well.  I personally have no problem with the nForce onboard NIC on my systems, and never have.  As long as yours works, why spend money to replace it?  Like the others said, if it aint broke, dont fix it.