Author Topic: The most rewarding thing in AH;  (Read 1679 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
The most rewarding thing in AH;
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 09:03:03 AM »
Might I add, with the present state of the Squad Motd / Arena Message people do not always see the ROE stated on the Arena Message.

Some of these MA dolts come in and do the old 'we can make our own rules' crap and that only leads to chaos. I remember when lethality was up in the TA but rules weren't followed and it was changed to accomodate the dolts who wont or can't follow simple rules.
Remember when the DA was changed because of all the problems when the unwritten ROE, which just about anyone who spent any time there should have known, were not followed?
HTC implimented the rules and they want that arena run that way. Trainers do enforce those and quite a few dolts have been sent off to 'watch reruns of The Nanny' but it's also partly the community's job to practice and train within those ROE.
If you don't or can't follow those ROE we have many other bases for you to fly at where you can 'do your own thing' and not be an example of what not to do in the TA.
I'll get off my cabbage crate now.
In fact I'll kick the cabbage crate out from under me and hang around waiting to be abused.

And someone needs some glasses because they are not seeing correctly. Then again how can you see something when you never bother to look at it.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 10:06:57 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2

See Rule #5, #4

I figure you're just stirring the pot, but people taking fast planes and running away from everything would, in my mind, betray that a person has NOT spent a lot of time in the TA...   Or the DA...  Or in a furball...  If you prefer.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:30:20 PM by Skuzzy »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline navajoboy

• Probation
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.uknightedstates.net
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 10:57:35 AM »

See Rule #4

good question.. he is/was definitely Value Menu Boys material....
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:30:46 PM by Skuzzy »
Stovpipe aka Navajo
Uknighted 357th FG - JG26
-+= Foreign Relations Minister =+-
http://www.uknightedstates.net

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 12:17:08 PM »
See Rule #5, #4

Lazs I have a bit of a twist on this.
The people you are experiencing are the people who DON'T got to the TA.
Every time i go in there (usually just to warm up) 90% are turn fighting  the other 10% are just zooming around .

I think anyone who goes to the TA with a trainer (Widewing for example) would be more than willing to turn fight.

This summer I have seen more " Whats the fastest plane?" on country channel in the ma...Yet I can count on one hand the times I've seen it asked in the TA.

This leads me to believe the population of noobs just want instant gratification. They see the ma has the largest population and that's where they want to be skill or no skill.

All I am asking is to reevaluate your above statement.

Bronk
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:31:12 PM by Skuzzy »
See Rule #4

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2006, 02:11:36 PM »
See Rule #5
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:31:48 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006, 07:33:28 PM »
on GEnie long ago .. I was helped a bit by Ghost Rider and Blue Baron one evening .. filmed it .. evaluated what I was doin wrong, corrected that, and worked on my shooting, which was the worst of my skills back then.

I couldn't seem to hit the broad side of a B-17 from 10 paces.

From there, I remembered how I felt the first few weeks in the arena, and whenever someone new logged in and started askin basic stuff like how to get to an airfield an such.. I would meet them at a field, and go over some of the basics with them, tellin em to write down the commands they would need.

From there it developed into a routine .. new player logs in, I'd ask 'em if they were good at flight sims.

Nearly everyone would list all the sims they had played, it usually took awhile..when they were done, I'd say 'great, now that's outta yer system, welcome to AW.. forget all those others, 'cause this is against people, not drones.'

Got to the point where Carrie gave me my own BBS address.. 'GE's Welcome Wagon' .. where I and some others would answer any question posted by players.

THen came the Air Warrior Trainers .. and the Air Warrior Training Academy.
I stayed in it through the early years .. but increasingly, people would log into the training area just to duel me.. and that wasn't why I was there, and it became a distraction to the training arena. Trainers would be trying to explain something to someone, and some yahoo would be typing in the chat buffer all the usual BS to try and get me to duel them.

My last flight as an AW Trainer, Tex came in, wanted to duel in spitfires, cause most people knew I was a Mustang pilot, dint mess much with the turn an burn planes at all.
He and others dint know I learned first in the Spit 9 and Zeke .. then progressed to the Mustang.

I went up, took him out, and left.
To this day I don't duel as a rule.
I have on occasion been goaded enough to duel someone, but frankly, it never proves anything except whoever makes the first mistake usually loses.
I'd rather spend my time hunting with friends ..havin fun.

As for AH . . I just don't feel competent enough or energetic enough to take on the role of trainer .. again.

Yet.

Mebbe in a year or two.

-GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2006, 03:23:09 AM »
lasz, then why dont YOU start training people, show them how to fight?
21 is only half the truth.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2006, 08:13:45 AM »
See Rule #5
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:25:16 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2006, 08:31:17 AM »
If you think *this* is helpful training that will change the MA.......
21 is only half the truth.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2006, 09:57:28 AM »
What a trainer laz is. Sort of 'don't be like me' would be the lesson there.
With some folk, the more they type the more you wish they didn't.
If you ever did visit the TA I'd bet within 30 or 40 seconds I'd be calling you a dolt.
Last response I ever give to that 'I want attention' dolt.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2006, 02:07:06 PM »
See Rule #4, #5
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:24:34 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006, 02:15:32 PM »
See Rule #2, #5
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:34:37 PM by Skuzzy »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2006, 02:24:12 PM »
See Rule #4, #5

Problem with this Lazs is that what is good for one person isn't always good for another.

That being said, I'm like you in that I figure I'll get better by diving into the crowd and having at it.    I don't have the patience to go to the TA and learn.  I like it when something just comes to me after getting my backside handed to me so many times in the MA.

But that doesn't mean that other folks can't gain from someone elses experience in the TA.  I applaud the folks who take the time to help those willing to learn.

I do think the nature of the MA beast is that it will always promote the timid, fly the uber ride mentality because that is what is 'rewarded' most visibly with the 'attaboys' and name in lights stuff.  

"Look!  I must be good!  I vulched 10 guys in my LA7 and went home at light speed to land the 'kills!"

Of course my general suckiness might be a good indicator I should try and learn another way, but there's something about on the deck in a fight that draws me in again and again and again :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:35:12 PM by Skuzzy »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2006, 03:20:35 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
See Rule #2, #5

okaaaay...
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline AutoPilot

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2006, 05:01:41 PM »
See Rule #6, #2
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 05:20:22 PM by Skuzzy »