Author Topic: 1000 skydives and I still suck  (Read 526 times)

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
1000 skydives and I still suck
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 01:07:42 PM »
I only counted malfunctions....  1

I was 12th man out on a 14 man stick and the 1st one to hit the ground at Bragg's St. Mere DZ. i had softball sized hole in the chute (T-10) and it ripped the entire section out to where you could drive a Jeep through it.

We were jumping at the standard 1250 ft. I was the smallest and youngest at the time. Once the chute opened and I cleared the canopy I noticed the hole. Figured I'd just ride it out and avoid the Peer pressure that normally happens later.  All of a sudden there was an increase in speed of decent and I checked the canopy again and a section is waving back at the C-130....  Got the reserve deployed at about 550 ft level and it began to twist with the risors of the main...then trees.

It was the reserve/main, trees and the fact I didn't hit the big limbs that saved my life. I didn't bounce but came dam near close to it. I was bruised up SOB for a few Months.

After I healed I jumped many more times... to prove to me and others that I wasn't afraid.  *our secret... I was scared chitlesss*

Now many years afterwards my back, knees and ankles are a waste. But when yer 18 you are young and dumb, bulletproof and 10 tall.

But all in all, jumping was the Ultimate High!

:aok

Mac
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 01:11:18 PM by AWMac »

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
1000 skydives and I still suck
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 01:27:58 PM »
Irch ... quite a story, glad u "ok".
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------