Author Topic: Joining an arena?  (Read 423 times)

Offline ASA335

• Zinc Member
Joining an arena?
« on: August 11, 2006, 11:19:17 PM »
OK, I'm sure this has been answered a hundred times; but

I haven't figured out the procedure for joining in the fun!

I start AH2, select "Arena", select AvA, turn on my radio, and ?????

So how do I let folks in the arena know that I'd like to join?

This will be the first time I'll be in the arena(s), so I really need a step-by-step here.

I tried to find the info in the getting started, I tried a search in this forum, I looked at a link site with a tutorial, but I just haven't found the info I need.

Sorry for being such a knoob, but I have to start somewhere/somehow.

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Joining an arena?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 12:55:15 AM »
Hey ASA,

Entering an arena is pretty simple.  (So simple in fact that I just had to start up the game to see how to put it in words :D )

You just select the arena you would like, and click on it once.  Then press the "OK" button.  This will get you into the arena, as long as we're talking an online pay to play arena (Main Arena, Dueling Arena, Training Arena, Axis vs Allies Arena, etc.), you don't have to ask to join.  You just hit ok and join in the fun.

Once in there, you can say hello to people on your own country by using the radio.

/ is for you own country.  This text for this channel is green.

You can also tune a radio channel to channel 200, which is the place we all go to cry, whine, joke with, make fun of, and insult each other, usually in good taste and fun, and sometimes not :D The text for this channel is gray.

To tune, you would press / to bring up your text input rectangle (probably a better word for this), and then you would type .radio 2 200

Then hit enter.

You are now open to all sorts of slander and abuse, congratulations :D

To use this channel you would press shift and / at the same time.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I'd recommend tuning 200 at first, although you're a self-proclaimed old geezer (no offense :D ) and I'm sure you've heard it all.  Anyway, it's your personal choice.

If you find you don't like the channel, you'd hit / to bring up that text input rectangle ( :rolleyes: ), click on the little arrow next to 200 (channel 2, if you followed me word for word), and then you'll get a little scroll bar where you can select a different channel (and color) to type on.

For the first few weeks it may well serve you well to use channel 2 as your "Help" (Orange text) channel, although to be honest I am not sure if this is already on, by default, and if it is, by default, the " / " key, in which case I may have just confused you :)

At any rate, you can customize your radio channels so that /, Shift and /, Ctrl and /, and Alt and /, are set as you please.

If I've hopelessly confused you here, that might make two of us.  Where's Schatzi with the simple explanations, anyway? :D
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Joining an arena?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 06:28:34 AM »
Vudak, You called me?? :D. When on default settings (very first time entering arena), the default channel radio1 is help chan :).

Anyways ASA, upon entering, just say hello and join the fun. In the Ava, you might want to check the ROSTER (clipboard - ESC key) first to see how many people are online and wich team needs reinforcements. Maybe even ask (chan 200).

To switch teams, go to OCLUB on your clipboard, CHANGE COUNTRY and select the team you wish to switch to. You can also use the .country # command (just type that into your radio - # being the country number (1 = Bishop, 2 = Knight, 3 = Rook)). Be aware that there might be a time limit to switching again (IIRC its around 5 mins for the AvA and 6 hours for the Main Arena).

Back to the radio thing. Theres 4 text channel and one voice/text channel. You can select the channels with your mouse (dropdown menue box), or tune it by typing the channel number into the box (like for example 200 for open channel). Shortcuts to the channels are under each box (/, ALT /, CTRL /, SHIFT / and SHIFT \).

More on radio use HERE. The ALL channel has been disabled because it cant be squelched and caused some trouble. Open channel is 200 now, its your own choice to tune it or ignore it. I usually have it tuned because i use it to communicate with friends in other countries or talk about fights etc. Also new is the Help Channel (Channel 6). Its read by all countries (as long as the person has it tuned). If you got any questions in the MA its best to ask there.

Main Arena (MA): "The War" rages here. Just grab a plane and shoot the red guys. Or bomb them. Or chase them. Do whatever you like. Theres no ranking structure, you dont need to follow anybodies orders except your own. If you *want* to join a mission/coordinated effort you can of course do that as well. Youll probably learn quick whats a team work and whats a little deskchair wannabe General :).

Backup Main Arena: An arena with the very same settings as the MA. Is used as a backup in case MA sever is down (a rather rare occasion i might add).

AvA: Historical Setups: Its usually a 2 team setup with limited planeset. Say hello on chan 200 and ask where reinforcements are needed. People in there are usually very helpful and will tell you where you fit in best.

Training Arena (TA): Place to go if you want to practice, need help with something, have questions etc etc. Usually theres a longtime player or a trainer in there to help you out. Not 24/7 though, so dont give up too soon :). Make sure you read the Arena Message (on your clipboard) and follow the ROE (rules of engagement) there. Damage is set to 0 in there for practicing.

Duelling Arena (DA): A place for set up duels or fights. Full damage settings on. Dont attack anyone in there without asking them first.

Special Events Arena (SEA): See the Special Events Forum :).

Ill probably be online later, either in TA or MA. If you see me, just holler my way and ill give you a guided tour :).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 06:35:42 AM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Joining an arena?
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 08:53:50 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Be aware that there might be a time limit to switching again (IIRC its around 5 mins for the AvA and 6 hours for the Main Arena).

In AvA there is no time restriction.  You can switch sides frequently, which many of us do to maintain balanced numbers.

When you want to log into an arena, the box that lists the different arenas shows how many people are currently in each one.  The ones with fewer people may be a better place to learn the radio, because your messages, and other people's responses, won't get lost in the chaos of the MA's text buffer.  AvA, Training Arena, Dueling Arena are good picks.  Just make sure someone is in there.  If you're having trouble getting people to hear you, click on the boxes above your text buffer (the one you get by hitting the slash key, or the combo of shift-slash) and pick the one that gives you green text.  That's the one that people on your own side can always hear.

- oldman