Author Topic: yeager  (Read 276 times)

Offline -SR-

• Copper Member
yeager
« on: August 13, 2006, 12:48:09 AM »
Hey Guys,

Things change with time. I had the honor of meeting Pappy Boyington at an Air Show in Fresno California,In 1974. I got his autograph and I thought he was a great man. I was stationed at Beale, Ca. In 1974 through1976. I did not know who Brig. General Charles Yeager was. He used to stop at the Grass Valley Gate and talk to me. I thought he was a lonely retiree and I would act like I was interested in what he had to say. I noted the Mach3+ pin on his flight suit one time and asked him about it. He had flown in the SR71 to get it. So had all of the other pilots stationed in the 9th SRW.I wanted to get back in my gate house and read my magazine. (I was 18 yrs old). It wasn't until The Right Stuff that I realized who he was. He was always decent to me and figure age has not been a welcome thing for him. He has led a remarkable life. He has accomplished many things in the history of aviation. It served me right when I attemptd to get him to autograph his book when I saw him and David Hartman at an open house at Edwards AFB. I was told by one of his handlers that I can purchase his autograph from his website.

I wish I knew then what I think I know now. It makes you wonder how many people that you meet everyday could become famous or a legend.

I attended an AW convention in Dallas and had the good fortune to have  breakfast with Grey Eagle.  I still have the great painting of Big Beautiful Doll. It hangs framed in my living room next to my Pappy Boyington Autograph.

My point. Appreciate all of the people you meet. You never know.
SR (old Shill)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
yeager
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 01:05:45 AM »
Next time you see GE tell him to get back to work on F5 will you? I miss the FLOT and my BVRM.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
yeager
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:41:28 AM »
Originally posted by Chalenge
Next time you see GE tell him to get back to work on F5 will you? I miss the FLOT and my BVRM.

Tell him yourself...he plays the game and post here (occasionally). :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."