Author Topic: sucky MS question  (Read 167 times)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
sucky MS question
« on: August 14, 2006, 01:18:41 PM »
OK,

I'm helping a friend who is at work but can't see his workgroup properly.  There is no domain.  Basically, he browses the my network places and drills down to the file on another machine but ends up with read only rights.  I know that logging on as adminsitrator works fine but how can I tell what he is logging on as and how can I force his login to use Administrator or any other user?  I'm crawling through Technet but no luck yet..  any ideas?

Offline Khyron

• Zinc Member
sucky MS question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 02:27:37 PM »
Not quite sure what you're asking there.

Besure that if you want him to have more that read only rights that you have the permissions set up correctly.  You will need both the SHARE permissions set to allow more AND the NTFS permissions set to allow more.

You should be able to see as the administrator what he's logging in as if you check your shares.  Try going to the start menu and right clicking My Computer and selecting manage as one way to see what's going on share-wise.

You cannot force a login to use Administrator.  Well short of remoting to him and then grabbing it for him.  He can log in as Administrator, but usually it's not recommended.  Just assign him the rights necessary for whatever he needs to do.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
sucky MS question
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:37:44 PM »
I and everyone else can network login as Administrator.  He can't release his rights and do so.  Is it possible to login like this "\\computerINeedTheFileOn\Administrator:administratorpassword"?

Basically, he needs to force the account he logs in on.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
sucky MS question
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:32:37 PM »
Go to the control panel and create a user for him. Give that user administrative or whatever rights he wants. Have him log in with that user. Is he using xp home or pro?