Author Topic: Your own .50 cal  (Read 1374 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2001, 05:31:00 AM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
Ah... have about $900 into my 700.  It can do 1/2" groups at about 350 yards.  I haven't played much farther than that... and I'm not an awesome marksman.  I must admit... I woulda rather gone with a .308, but they are nearly impossible to find in anything but police special versions.

I think I'm going out the weekend after Memorial day weekend to shoot the STW and a friend's custom .50.  I'll post some pics of the rifles... by themselves... since I'm much too ugly to be seen in public  

AKDejaVu

Post them Deja, would love to see them.

I see my measely deer rifle is outclassed..but she sure has been good to me
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2001, 07:34:00 AM »
MrBill, ditto on that streetsweeper for the home... the original "to whom it may concern" weapon of my choice.

On the History channel I saw a program on Marine snipers in Vietnam using single shot .50's. They said that the target would be hit before he heard the round being fired in the distance. The sniper who was interviewed was just a regular guy, except he had assasinated many people from far away. Very interesting.

Gunthr
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2001, 07:36:00 AM »

Spatula they aren't machine guns. They are for ultra-long range target shooting. The USMC (and other branches I presume) use them to kill vehicles and bad guys from real far away.

Saw an interesting show... "Suicide missions: Snipers" on the history channel.  It concluded by discussing how the military was moving away from sniping to kill people and more towards sniping to simply kill equipment.... from 2000 yards

Oh... and a .50 is pretty much for target only.  There is no real hunting application.  In some states, it is even illegal to hunt with anything bigger than a 45 calibre.  They used to have a problem with people shooting something 1200 yards away, but not being able to retrieve (or not wanting to) the animal.  Ah.. Idaho at its best.

Oh.. and in most states its illegal to hunt with a .223 also (no 22 caliber weapons).

AKDejaVu

Offline DRILL

• Copper Member
      • http://www.457thbgh.com
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2001, 10:11:00 AM »

Originally posted by NHFoxtro:

Drill does the barrel get real Hot after 40 rounds or so. What I mean is, you probably could bang off 40 rounds and then have to sit it down for an hour to cool,right?

The barrel only gets hot if you shot it as fast as you can but it takes only 10 t0 15 min to cool.. as for shooting 40 rounds fast  not practical.. as it only a single shot you can get bigger clips special ordered but i see no need for it. as its more of sniper rifle. im happy to hit targets with it at 12oo yrds but its the longest range i can find around here heheh it was a birthday present to me from my wife.
  aint she great  iv had it for 2 yrs only shot 300 rds through it we do have some compation shoots here i join every so offten
 i only know 8 other guys who got 1 and 2 of em gotem fixed up realy nice  oh they dont kick that bad eather  

------------------
DRILL
Drill /384th FA/CH 364th

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2001, 11:20:00 AM »
BTW, Comparing an Israeli arms 50 cal to a 50 BMG is like comparing a 22 LR to a 220 swift. The BMG's projectile is well over twice the weight and it travels at well over twice the Muzzle velocity.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Your own .50 cal
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2001, 01:40:00 AM »

Originally posted by funked:
Spatula they aren't machine guns.  They are for ultra-long range target shooting.  The USMC (and other branches I presume) use them to kill vehicles and bad guys from real far away.

Heh, shows ya how much i know about em... also shows ya i never read the blurb. Ah well.  
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group