Author Topic: F-4 Phantom II  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
F-4 Phantom II
« on: August 18, 2006, 05:11:52 AM »
One of my fondest memories is my ride in an F-4E while at Seymore Johnson AFB. I found this video and all the cool memories of the "smokin rhino" came back in a rush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXCYqtMfm-8

Its got a hot soundtrack...smokin!

Here's some picks at Maple Flag '85 Coldlake, Canada the day I finally strapped on "the beast".

Sorry for the low quality.

This last one is our wingman transitioning over our canopy as seen from the backseat. (Note the tailpipe cone programed toward closed in mil power)

The old phantom was an awesome bird in it's day.
Enjoy the video.

Regards
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 06:31:32 AM »
It still is one of my favorites regardless of whatever else the USAF, Navy and Marines fly.  Right up there with the Tomcat.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 06:31:55 AM »
Did you do any aerobatics?

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 07:24:29 AM »
Originally posted by Reschke
It still is one of my favorites regardless of whatever else the USAF, Navy and Marines fly.  Right up there with the Tomcat.

Its more beautiful the Tomcat. But not as beautiful as the Crusader.

PHANTOMS PHOREVER!

Hey Reschke
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 09:18:49 AM »
one of my favorites too. the first plane model i ever did was a dark blue phantom. :aok
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 10:07:17 AM »
I heard that F4 backseaters had to have the strongest stomachs in the business. So what was it like? C'mon admit it!

The Phantom was always one of my favourites and one of my favourite memories of one was seeing an RF4 flying so low at an airshow that the commentators felt the heat from it afterburners!:lol

If the RAF had deigned to entertain my application to fly for them. I would have opted to fly the F4 or the EE lightning. Both classic cold warriors.

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 10:24:43 AM »
I miss seeing these birds at air shows.  There's nothing like a formation of Phantoms doing a low, high speed pass.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 12:02:53 PM »
I know I have said it here many times but growing up in Central Alabama we always had the F4 Phantoms from all over the Southeast flying over the hills and valleys where I lived.  Where I grew up was out of the way and as I got older I learned from my Dad (active duty military) that the geography of where we lived was similar to a part of Germany where it was believed that the Soviets would try to push through.  We had Phantoms, F-16's, all types of helicopters from UH-1 to the Chinook and all other stuff flying around there.  To me jet noise and aircraft noise was a great thing to hear.  I even watched a Phantom pancake on a hilltop when it was doing a training run and sheared the wingtips off by flying to low cresting a hill and running through a bunch of pine trees.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 12:14:56 PM »
I've seen an F4 flying over DMAFB a couple times in the last couple weeks. I have to assume it's being refurbed for use as a drone. That's one of the functions of the base here. They can pull onje of the birds from storage, refurb for flight then check out the remote control operation before releasing it for drone duty. Still a great bird.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 01:59:47 PM »
"I miss seeing these birds at air shows. "

I saw a German F4 in an airshow here in Finland in 2001. It was a dream come true to see my old favorite flying and taxi so very close. The pilot was cool as he suddenly gave the throttles a push while taxiin past us. Incredible sound!

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 08:27:29 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
I've seen an F4 flying over DMAFB a couple times in the last couple weeks. I have to assume it's being refurbed for use as a drone. That's one of the functions of the base here. They can pull onje of the birds from storage, refurb for flight then check out the remote control operation before releasing it for drone duty. Still a great bird.

Did it have an orange tail?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 09:35:25 PM »
Not yet. It was flying solo and just did a couple pattern passes.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 09:38:57 PM »
I have this one on my HD
http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/Sir%20Franzis%20Drake/514/
it pwns, high speed low passes, on the last one a couple of people throw themselves to the ground....

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 10:34:37 PM »
small world.

I prolly tweaked 210's ECM gear at one time or another.

SJAFB '81-'83 ..spent '84 at K2, Korea (aka Taegu) on F-4E's ..'85 an haffa '86 at Castle AFB on b-52g's an h's.

Enlisted in '72, first 'real' base outta tech school was DM
..the tour of the bonyard was purty awesome
.. I had built models as a kid of most of the planes in there, bein up close an under a Hustler was the high point of the tour :)
..worked A-7d's there with a short stint on a drone droppin C-130, volunteered to go to Southeast asia
.. came thru for '75 (the year Saigon fell, an some other 'incidents')
..spent the year at Udorn-Thani RTAFB on F-4D's an a couple RF-4C's they had.
432nd TFW there ..first time I had seen F-4's
..an a lot of 'em had red stars on the vari-ramps
.. Steve Richie's F-4 had 5 red stars.
We had some crazy parties ..rumor was that one of our F-4 jocks had landed at Pnom-Phen airport, popped the canopy, and thrown a his glove out on the runway darin any of 'em to come up an fight (this was during the 'Mayaguez' incident). Yes .. I beleive it.. they were *that* crazy :)

Went to George AFB from '76 - '80 ..F-105g weasels, F-4E's, an later F-4g's.
Most of the guys flyin 'em had 100 mission route pac 6 patches. Some of the most boresighted people on the planet.
to Lucky, Olin, Zolondek and all the others ..it truly was my pleasure to keep the ECM gear up an runnin.. the time I spent in debreif was golden.

..an some of those 105's had red stars, too.

-GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
F-4 Phantom II
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 11:15:48 PM »
After watching the video...  

Does F-4 really roll that slow?