Author Topic: If You've Got The Money, Honey... You Don't Do The Time!  (Read 3791 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
If You've Got The Money, Honey... You Don't Do The Time!
« on: August 21, 2006, 04:52:19 PM »
A mistake by her former defense attorney turned out to be good news for Rebecca Simpson of Bridgeport, who had been convicted of trying to hire a hit man to kill the wife of a former lover. Fort Worth District Judge Bob Gill ruled Friday that Simpson's former attorney, Ray Bass of Houston, had failed to tell her that prosecutors had offered her five years in prison in exchange for pleading guilty before her trial. After hearing testimony, jurors had sentenced her to 25 years in prison. Gill threw out the trial verdict, ordered a new trial, and prosecutors offered the five-year deal again. Simpson quickly accepted. The deal cut 20 years off her sentence for trying to hire an undercover hitman to kill Shemane Watts in 2003. Officials say Simpson could be out of prison in less than a year.
What a fracking joke!

Just some background info on the case. Her husband (yeah, they're still married) is the former District Attorney here and they have money running out their arse. Local scuttlebutt before the trial was she would walk or get a very light sentence. Everyone was shocked that the system worked when she was found guilty and got 20 years. Now this.

Why on earth would they offer her another 5 year deal when it was a slam dunk case for 20? They have her on video making a deal with an undercover officer to kill her boyfriend's wife.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 04:54:30 PM by rpm »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 05:09:29 PM »
Because a bird in the hand is better than two metaphors in the bush.  The only certain things in life are death, taxes, and bad traffic when you're already late.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 06:07:04 PM »
my guess would be that it isnt so much the money as the dirt...as in information.

money is great but youve got to really have something by the sack to get that kind of treatment.

something like a picture of joe bob the DA in a skimpy little party dress.

that would be my guess.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 11:10:42 PM »
I wonder what the judge owed the husband?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown