Author Topic: Variety in the MA  (Read 977 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Variety in the MA
« on: July 04, 2001, 02:17:00 PM »
Or, rather, a lack thereof.  This is my first post to the board, though I won't be saying much here that I haven't said before.  How many planes are in AH anyway?  I have no idea.. I fly the 190 and 109, and I can count the planes I see on one hand.  Niki, spit, la7,p51d (popular in rookville it seems).  Hum.. I didn't even have to use my thumb.  Someone posted earlier about the really good pilots being able to kill you no matter what you flew, I think that is true.  He also said that the not so good pilots were getting frustrated by upping into swarms of nikis and la7s.  Thats ALSO true.  It is bad enough when knights are outnumbered by both sides, and both sides are attacking us.  It is worse when you see 10 planes coming at your base- 4 nikis, 4 spits, and 3 la7s.  Of course, I am exagerating a bit.. for the rooks replace 1 of the 3 with that amount of p51d's.  

Something I still am not able to understand is why so many people fly the niki.  Sure, it is a "fun" plane to fly.  You can replace "fun", with "easy", and probably come closer to the true reason I think.  Something I find very amusing is that a lot of skilled pilots seem to be saying "Ah, the hell with it", and flying nikis instead.  For instance, I bounced Gijoe from about 10k above him (both nikis), and I got shot down.  He's a member of the "Twin-Engine Devils- and his squad seems to be recruiting P38s".. but he is in a Niki.  Ditto with the Screamin Blue Messiahs (i think.. nash's squad).  I believe they used to fly the Chog, before it got perked- hence the name.  Why keep the name if you are now in a Niki (which isnt blue, BTW).

I don't know if it is jsut me, or if other people are getting sort of tired of fighting the exact same plane over and over and over and over and over and over again, ad nauseum.  Perhaps it is just the fact that neither of my two favorite rides have a snowballs chance in hell of beating a niki unless it is being flown by a blind, retarded, and one-armed pilot.

OH, by the way.  For those who care (prolly not many by this point)- I still stand by what I said last night in the MA.  You take most planes and have a 1v1.. the best pilot will win.  You take a niki and any other plane, and the best plane will win.  Anyways, I'm about ranted out for right now.  Happy 4th everyone,

Urchin

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Variety in the MA
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2001, 10:02:00 PM »
.Ditto with the Screamin Blue Messiahs (i think.. nash's squad). I believe they used to fly the Chog, before it got perked- hence the name. Why keep the name if you are now in a Niki (which isnt blue, BTW).

Err.... correction.

We formed in '96 around GSC's Hornet... The name "Screamin' Blue Messiahs" has nothing to do with a particular plane type. I just thought it sounded cool  :) As for our squad? We're not a plane type squad - we fly what we want, and not all of us fly the niki, and I don't think *anyone* of us flys any one plane exclusively.

The rest of the squad can speak for themselves, but as far as why *I* have been spending alot of time in the niki latey is because, yah, I'm having fun in it. And that's all the reason I need.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2001, 10:06:00 PM »
Just gave you a 5-star vote, Urchin.

Your observations are spot on.

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: oboe ]

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2001, 08:19:00 AM »
well... I guess if you only fly two planes then you really don't have much to talk about huh?  I fly only one or two myself.. Mostly the -1d.   I would fly the 109 and 190 but they are so boringly simple and easy to master that, why bother?   109.. climb and accelerate... 190, run and if you get someone on you do the "floppy fish"  move till they run out of ammo.

That's what it looks like to some of us anyway.  rather fight a nik than lose all sense of the game watching a 190 flop around in front of me.
lazs

Offline fluffy

• Zinc Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2001, 09:30:00 AM »
I can't agree with the sweeping generalization.  One sees many N1ks, La7s, and Spitfires because those are the planes that many new members gravitate to.  But my impression is that more experienced players find survivable planes that suit their personality and tend to stick to them. Yours are 109s and 190s. Mine are P51Bs for forays into enemy territory, spits for defence and F4U-1Ds for strike missions (with some rare outings in 109G2s, since my wife is of Finnish descent). I'd fly Tomahawks (p-40s) if they were available. I see plenty of other veterans flying their particular favourites. The requirement for survivability in the MA rules out certain aircraft at certain times. The P38, p51s (and there are more p51bs around than you think), F4u, some marks of 109 and 190, p47s and typoon are all planes that can survive in the MA if you take care, have a bit of skill and luck, and those are the planes I see most experienced people flying in the MA most of the time.
The bottom line is that we all fly to have intense fun and are all entitled to fly the planes we most enjoy. I admire anyone who can 'make a living' flying 109s and 190s in the MA. But it will always be a tough challenge and there isn't much point in complaining about it.

Offline laz

• Copper Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »
lol.. floppy fish move... i don't get it. please explain ...  :confused:   :confused:   :confused:   :p   :p   :D   :D

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2001, 11:59:00 AM »
Lazs... I'm not to terribly familiar with the "floppy fish" manuever either... please explain exactly what that it.  I am familiar with vertical and horizontal scissors, rolling reversals, and rolling scissors- all of which I use in the 190.  Also, please note that the "accelerate and climb away" manuever really isnt so easy as that.  Quite a few planes can outrun a 109g10 on the deck (off the top of my head- P51 B and D, F4U, La7, Yak, Tiffie).  Quite a few planes that can't outrun a 109 CAN accelerate with it until you reach a speed that they can't go (p38, p47 .. NIKI).  The niki and spit can both zoomclimb with the 109 (the niki is far more dangerous than the spit though... if the hispanos don't tag you the Spit will stall out first at least).  The LA7 outperforms the 109 in every respect on the deck.  My best advice for fighting nikis (for anyone that may be interested in a German plane) is - DON'T.  Yes, that means that you'll only be able to engage about half the planes in the MA, but you'll die a lot less.  

Anyways, my "whine" I suppose is that, as a piot who prefers the German rides (though the P47 is starting to grow on me), there is almost nothing you can do against a niki or LA7 (even if they are flown by a complete novice), and a spit with a good pilot will end in a draw every time, unless you like head-ons.  I am not a crappy pilot.  I'd say I'm probably in the top 20% of pilots who fly German planes, I could be wrong.  Well, I sort of lost my steam, even I get tired of whining after a while.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
Also, as an aside, I flew the niki for a couple days... I do have FILM of me pulling a 360 and zooming up after a 109 that bounced me from hi 6.  He stalled first and I got his engine with 1 ping (almost like he was in a p38 or 190...).  If someone can post it I'll find it and email it to you.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2001, 12:40:00 PM »
i need to learn the floppy fish - it could add whole new meaning to my handle  :)

Offline Fokker

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.inbusiness.no
Variety in the MA
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2001, 12:41:00 PM »
Very true fluffy. Few experienced pilots will fly Niki or similar for long. You will find them in other planes depending on task. P51s, 109s, p38s and p47s i think is a preference for many of them.

Niki, spit and similar are ok for pure dogfighting, but I fly rings around them in my p51   ;) No match at all   ;) And I can do proper jabo missions and more in the same plane. I like that.

LtData 'Fokker old handle'

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2001, 04:38:00 PM »
Laz1, tell me how do you MASTER any plane? If you mean, that you learn its roll rates and max-speed, i think LW planes are par on every  other plane?

Floppy fish? You mean somekind of fast reverse?
190:s are probably the most infernal z&b machines, since they have tiny tiny elevators. They guarantee you big stall horn blazing at end of zoom, no matter how you try to pull the stick..20% of my hammers end in uncontrollable stall, which annoyingly make it impossible to shoot the n1k:s bellybutton when its showing its untanned bottom towards you.

So please, show me in training arena how do you do the floppy fish on 190?

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2001, 08:18:00 AM »
The "floppy fish" was first used in WB.  It is a move where extremely high roll rates and  the vaugeries of the internet conspire to allow certain planes (LW allways seem to roll just fast enough) to flopp back and forth  at a high rate of speed when being followed.  It is not a "rolling scissors" that is spoiling the shot on them but a bogus fish outta water  flop.

urchin.. I have stated before... The plane that needs to be perked is allways the one that causes the most problems for your plane choice.   If it doesn't cause problems for your plane choice then you don't care and iff it IS your plane choice you will sqeal like a stuck pig when it is perked.

I have flown the 1d against LW and niks and to say that the nik outclimbs the 109 is pretty silly....  I have tried climbing with em both and the nik is not as good as the 109.  The best move for a 109 under a G10 is to stay near a friendly base when not in a crowd of friendlies.   use the vertical and get back in the ack when forced to come down.  rinse repeat.   for the 190... Try to be inconspicuous, hope you catch someone assleep at the switch and then run.  If someone gets on your six try a scissors and if that isn't enough go to the floppy fish.

one of the reasons I left WB was because it went allied vs axsis... I got really really really tired of fighting the same old boring 109's and 190's.   They are perhaps the most boring planes to fight against in the game(s).  At least with a spit or nik they have some variety and versatility.   I actually don't care if I never see another 109 or 190 in the game.  It will be no big loss to me.
lazs

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by mrfish:
i need to learn the floppy fish - it could add whole new meaning to my handle   :)

You dont need to learn it...you are "floppy" enough already, ya damn knit!!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
Last night.
Attack on 44(me in goon) saw Il2 il2 yak yak p51(Hangtime has a lifetime permit to fly the pony no matter how many others do)
Attack on 2(Me in la7) saw 51-f4u-nik-spit-yak-il2-tbm-b26
Attack on 43 me in Fw190f8 Saw 51-niki-spit-lanc*10 osty, yak,il2.zero
While the Niki and the varios spits are common. Surly there is nothing here to whine about. I saw rook p38s yaks ki61s ju88s p47s f6fs ardos tempests ta152s b26s etc etc
That was one night.
The only planes I very rarly see are the Italian ones.(p47s seem rare in this map)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Variety in the MA
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
Just for toejams n grins, while we were getting pounded by Niki's all night, myself and 2 or 3 other Knits all thought "Well dammit, if their gonna keep killing me in a dweeby Nik, I'll go get one and shoot them down too".  So I grabbed a Nik and so didnt 2 or 3 other guys (names elude me, been in VB too long this morning).

I hadn't flown the Nik in a long long time, but the way it doesnt loose speed and has amazing cannons is something.  At least with the La's and SPits, you bleed E fast, or G out a lot.  Wasnt the case in the Nik, and even a lowly bomber dweeb like me got Nash once   :)  I've got to confess, dweebery or not, it was pretty nice to hammer down some people in the Niki....after flying Lancs all knight and being the victim of Fatty and others a few times, it was nice to see some kills on my side of the board!