Author Topic: View (microsoft sidewinder)  (Read 691 times)

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
View (microsoft sidewinder)
« on: August 14, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »
Is there any way to program the look up/forward/45", or KP 5+8 onto my Microsoft Sidewinder joystick???  Unfortunately I think im crap outa luck, and this isn't possible, which leads me to my next question...Can someone please meet me in the TA and teach me how to use my X-52 joystick that just sit's in its box ...=)

*im serious about the second part...if someone is willing, i'd really like to set up a time to bang this out
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Khyron

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 02:35:44 PM »
Couldn't you just map those keys to a button on the joystick?  The push the view forward seems logical to assign a 45 up forward.

I'd tell you in detail but I've lost my computer and haven't had a time to reload AH to the new replacement yet.  But I recall just mapping those keys to that button when I did fly here.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Re: View (microsoft sidewinder)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:44:40 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
Can someone please meet me in the TA and teach me how to use my X-52 joystick that just sit's in its box ...=)

Cav, at a Euro friendly time id be willing to talk you through setup. PM/Email me.

The adjustments going to be pure hell for three days :O, unbearable for the next 4 days :eek:, hard for a total of at least 3 weeks :furious... then youll get the hang of it and probably see the first improvements to your flying :).

At least thats the way it was for me and my X45. SupaBDP can tell a few stories about me moaning and crying and augering the first few flights (i refuse to call them "fights" with him in the TA). Damn, it felt worse then on my first week here. :lol

PS: I have the look forward (hatswitch) view mapped to a "Look Forward over the nose" (head pos all the way UP and to one side). Very handy for deflection shooting.
The "Look up" is mapped to my pinkie button.
To look forward up i just use the hatswitch forward and pinkie at the same time. (Same works for look back-up or sideways-up). That way i get 18 different views
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 02:49:22 PM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 04:24:15 PM »
Originally posted by Khyron
Couldn't you just map those keys to a button on the joystick?  The push the view forward seems logical to assign a 45 up forward.

I'd tell you in detail but I've lost my computer and haven't had a time to reload AH to the new replacement yet.  But I recall just mapping those keys to that button when I did fly here.

Well what I want to do is map it on my single hat on the sidewinder...I'd like to make it so when i hit straight up in the 12 oclock position, for my view to look up 45 degrees, but I cant figure out how to do it
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 04:47:48 PM »
Did you try setting it in AH?

Options--->Controls--->Map Controllers--->Hat Switch Fwd--->Modify------------>Look Front up

I had it that way for a little bit but couldn't see as well up and back, which is more important for me since they always seem to be behind me.
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 05:27:02 PM »
it worked!  thanks bud!

Schatzi...PM me and tell me whats good for you
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 08:19:49 PM »
Actually LOOK_FWD+UP is an important view to have in a turn fight.  I don't know how people get along without it.

Glad you got it figured out Cav.

Just wanted to add my approach is a little different.  I use 2 stick modes that are identical except for the views.  One set of views are level with forward on the hat looking up.  The second set of views are 45 degrees up all the way around.  Airwarrior was set up a similar way, and Ive grown attached to it and carried it through WB and AH.

Offline eh

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 01:20:12 AM »
cc murdr that's exactly my approach too.

Cav, I use the MSFFB sidewinder too. I program button 5 on the base of the stick for "look up" which is keypad 5. With that button pressed, you can look straight up through the cockpit, and all the other "up" views by manipulating the hat switch.

I also did the same for my X52. Which went right back into the box when the old MS stick started working again after I cleaned it a little.

Man, I wish some Chinese company would rip off the MS patent on that stick!

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 09:04:57 AM »
Originally posted by eh

Man, I wish some Chinese company would rip off the MS patent on that stick!

Buy one on eBay, send it to the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC marked "Top Secret"  The electronic strores will be flooded with them by Christmas. :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 09:52:59 AM »
I'd suggest flying the stick with 2 hands at all times (at all times that you don't need the keyboard) if you're using a Sidewinder. Also, in conjunction with this I'd suggest you map a key on the base (I have the  farthest out on the left side) mapped to "up view" -- so when I want forward up I use the forward view and press this "up" button -- this gives me better view control for the sides, and the rear as well.