Author Topic: Cartoon Smackdown  (Read 2201 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Cartoon Smackdown
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2006, 01:55:51 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
If i got money to burn i'll buy GiTS, Macross, and Ranma1/2

Exactly. Quit copying me, ya dweeb. :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Cartoon Smackdown
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2006, 02:42:02 PM »
CG 3D animation is a completely different beast from 2D, and modern TV/Film 2D animation is completely different from the "Classic Hollywood Cartoon".

Here's how it worked back in the old days -- I use Looney Toons as the point of reference:
yes, you had a storyboard and dialog.
The image consisted of a background and at most four cels. A cel is a transparent piece of celluloid on which an animation element can take place. So every movement has to be plotted and budgeted. For reasons that should be obvious, you generally want only one "motion" per cel. So, for instance, you could have a background, then one cel with the character(s) (say Bugs and Daffy -- which only happens something like 6 times), then two cels for the parts that are actually "moving" at any moment. The Disney "screen in motion" effects are _very_ expensive.
Anyway, the timing is done by plotting extreme positions (for example, hand by the side to hand pointing at something), and the interval between them. For much of a Looney Toons cartoon, the pace between extreme positions is 6 frames (or four beats a second). When things pick up, the pace will go to 5 and then 4 frames.
The Animators draw the extreme positions, and their subordinates, the "Tweeners", do the in-between positions.
With regards to the music, composer Carl Stalling, who worked with Disney in the '30s, then came to Looney Toons in 38/39, developed a system where he would take the studio orchestra (permanent orchestra that did all the studio's products), and make them play to a giant metronome-like device that followed the beats of the extreme positions. Basically, he composed the music to the beat of the extreme positions of the animations (after all, cartoons arose as animation set to music).
This meant that everything -- even the dialog -- was planned down at the frame level. It also explains why the products are masterpieces of comic timing, and won't ever be repeated or surpassed in their genre.
There's nothing wrong with being impassioned by other forms of animation; but for me, when I see a Looney Toon, or something Tex Avery did with MGM, I'm blown away by how much attention to detail went in, and how easy it is to ignore that attention and just laugh my bellybutton off.

By the way, what's the deal with the single frame Budweiser can in the missile flyby in the Robotech Movie? I always wanted to know.

Offline tikky

• Copper Member
Cartoon Smackdown
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2006, 02:51:04 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
If i got money to burn i'll buy GiTS, Macross, and Ranma1/2

LOL animes are expensive as hell, might as well download or watch from youtube.

For example saw Trigun @ Fry's Electronics and it costs $125, that's only 24 episodes!  I'll preview this on youtube before i decide if it's worth to buy it.

And the Ranma 1/2 (which i also happen to like and own) costs $122.  There are seven seasons + OAVs ($99).  That means $122 x 7 seasons + OAV = almost $1k:eek:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 02:55:37 PM by tikky »

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Cartoon Smackdown
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2006, 02:58:53 PM »
Dude, you need better connections. Anime nerds get stuff cheap. :lol

Especially if you have a friend that never stops going to Japan... :noid
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline tikky

• Copper Member
Cartoon Smackdown
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2006, 05:59:47 PM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
Dude, you need better connections. Anime nerds get stuff cheap. :lol

Especially if you have a friend that never stops going to Japan... :noid

I suspect that any anime that cost less than $100 is a bootleg!

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Cartoon Smackdown
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2006, 06:03:41 PM »
Nah, I got all wrapped box sets from the manufacturer. I suspected one was a bootlet as the second CD was scratched so bad it was beyond use. We sent it back for replacement and never heard from them again. Amazon refunded us. Mom had bought it; that's why it was from Amazon. I get mine from other places.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Cartoon Smackdown
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2006, 06:54:37 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
I heard there's gonna be a GiTS Movie this fall (Solid State Society).  Bandai warns Fansubbers not to sub this movie and distribute them online or they'll face legal action

people make subs before it is released in US. Once it does, most servers remove now 'illegal' version.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Cartoon Smackdown
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2006, 03:25:04 AM »
I agree timeless classics such as Looney, Disney, and MGM works will never be repeated again.  This is something that anime does not have yet (unless you consider Speed Racer a timeless classic:D)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Cartoon Smackdown
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2006, 03:26:19 AM »
Any anime DVDs with Region-0 encoding (Region free), mispelled subtitled words, and awkward Eng sentence structure is sure a boootleg.

I'm forced to buy Region-0 of Macross Zero because it's not licensed here in the US.