Author Topic: The Gulf et al - an exercise in venture capital theory...  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
The Gulf et al - an exercise in venture capital theory...
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2001, 07:51:00 AM »
pzvg - this is the O-club is it not? I was under the impression it was where things not pertaining to AH or flight sims are discussed.

If this thread is irrelevant to flight sims then so are about 99.99% of topics in this forum. So why are you here?

No one is forcing you to read this thread or post in it. If you don't want to, then don't. Simple as that.

To everyone else, there's some good points there. I'm at work now (and shouldn't be online right now ), so I'll get back to you tonight hopefully.

Dingy - something stuck in my mind the other night. A former RAF Tornado pilot who was shot down in 1990 was being interviewed (I'll dig out some quotes tonight) - he was commenting on the exasperation of RAF crews, who were flying over Northern Iraq to stop air raids on the Kurds, but were seeing Turkish planes taking off and bombing those same people (civilians not PKK guerrilas).

See ya later.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
The Gulf et al - an exercise in venture capital theory...
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2001, 11:14:00 AM »

Originally posted by Dowding:
Dingy - something stuck in my mind the other night. A former RAF Tornado pilot who was shot down in 1990 was being interviewed (I'll dig out some quotes tonight) - he was commenting on the exasperation of RAF crews, who were flying over Northern Iraq to stop air raids on the Kurds, but were seeing Turkish planes taking off and bombing those same people (civilians not PKK guerrilas).

Dunno Dowding.  As far as I know, the only beef the Turks had with the Kurds were the PKK rebels and with good reason.  They were about as active as the Sein Fein faction in Ireland.  Quite a belligerant group...I can recall a number of Kurdish rebellions at various embassys in Greece and Berlin back in the early to mid 90s.  These rebellions were a result of the capture of Ocalla.

The Kurdish situation is a very tricky one since the PKK are similar to the Viet Cong back in the 70s.  In order to root them out, you had to wade through large groups of innocents since they comingled with the general populace.

-Ding