Author Topic: USS Wahoo Found  (Read 308 times)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
USS Wahoo Found
« on: August 25, 2006, 04:10:29 PM »
This should be of interest to those who know of Mush Morton and the USS Wahoo. He didn't let crummy torpedoes stand in the way of taking the fight to the Japanese in those darker days.

Russian divers have discovered the legendary American
WWII submarine Wahoo in the Sea of Japan. The Russian
sailboat Iskra was looking for the Russian L-19
submarine, the last Russian naval loss of the war in
1945, when it came across the wreck of the USS Wahoo,
thought to have gone down in the La Perouse Strait in
1943. Video shows search boat, interviews with members
of the expedition and underwater footage of the
submarine.

http://www.warfish.com/gazette.html

Charon

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
USS Wahoo Found
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 04:23:30 PM »
Sweet! I've read a few books about the Wahoo.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
USS Wahoo Found
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 04:46:05 PM »
Id like to know more about this sub...share!

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
USS Wahoo Found
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 05:06:59 PM »
Wahoo

One of the top scoring boats in the Navy, with the most sinkings of any US sub when it went missing.  By the end of the war Morton was still ranked 3rd... two years after the Wahoo sank.  

If anyone is ever on Michigan's west side, the Silversides, a WWII Gato class similar to the Wahoo, is moored over there.  They of course have tours, and you can actually book the sub overnight and sleep in the crew quarters.  I did it as a Cub Scout, it was very cool.

Offline bcee

• Copper Member
USS Wahoo Found
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 07:43:32 PM »
WoW....Salute to all the crew aboard the WAHOO...!...

My father was a diver on the sub-tender USS Griffin during this time in history...

All i can say is war was hell to him..cause he had a drawer full of medals that i happened on as a young man and i could never get him to talk about them...

When i did ask he`d just shrug the questions off ,saying he did what he had to do ...which still left me still fulll of questions ,,but he never revealed to me life he endured in action, other than he loved Brisbane and the people there....he always wanted to go back to Brisbane but his dreams were never fulfilled....

Salute to my Father and all others that sacrificed themselves for their beliefs,family an country............

http://www.mississippi.net/~comcents/tendertale.com/tenders/113/113.html

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
USS Wahoo Found
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 09:41:54 PM »
Hey Charon,

Thanks for posting this. I'm surprised that the Wahoo wasn't found earlier given the ammount of information in the Japanese archives regarding its sinking. Full text and photos of the attack, which involved one shore battery, several aircraft dropping over 40 bombs, and at least 5 surface vessels. The Japanese final battle report (discovered in the archives in 2000) is available online here:
http://www.emackinnon.com/Wahoo-Final-Battle-Report.html

This was not a quick sinking, and the Wahoo appears to have fought to escape to the very end. Only God knows what those brave men endured during the seven hours they were under direct attack and slowly sinking.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
USS Wahoo Found
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 11:13:57 PM »
Kind of amazing we did not hear more about this on the 16th!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.