Author Topic: WWIIOnline wii be 9.95$ / month  (Read 2597 times)

Offline marcof

• Zinc Member
WWIIOnline wii be 9.95$ / month
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2001, 09:32:00 AM »
AH have NOW got to move to a ww2, Axis versus Allied plane set up.
Marcof

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2001, 09:39:00 AM »
I've been following WWIIOL for a while, thinking it will be one hell of a game. Now that I've read and seen what they plan to do, two words come to mind: "pipe dream", just like WB3.

------------------
Lt. Col. Aaron "txace-" Giles of the 457th BG
    "Fait Accompli"
In arena: semperfi

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2001, 09:43:00 AM »
In computer games where everything is fluid, nothing is gauranteed and things that are promised are mere words on an HTML/Java based web browser, I will take the stance of "wait and see".

It ain't worth it for me to get all upity excited when the only thing I've seen delivered so far are screenshots, movies and promises. I can't play anything yet, I don't even know what the flight model is going to be like..

I'll wait and see.
-SW

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2001, 09:45:00 AM »
Cool.  That low of a price will just make it less painful to have both a WW2OL and an AH account active at the same time.

I'll have both, if WW2OL turns out to suck, I'll cancel it, but I have no plans to cancel my AH account.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »
I saw WWIIOL at the Eurocon in November last year. In a state it was then June boxed release seems pretty optimistic .

The plans of the Rats are very ambitious to say the least. It sounds fantastic but I can't see organised warfare with infantry, artillery, tanks and planes working for 24/7. Just think about it - a plane searching for a fight is moving at 200-300 virtual mph... A tank - everyone remembers non-stop whines about 1-2 hours tank drives to get to the "front" A soldier - doesn't bear thinking about...

QIII etc servers populated by thousands every day offer instant gratification of wielding fancy weaponry and lots of "frags" per hour. Give them a rifle with 20 rounds and lots of walking and they'll laugh in your face...

I guess we'll have to see, won't we?

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »

Originally posted by marcof:
AH have NOW got to move to a ww2, Axis versus Allied plane set up.
Marcof

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I like that about as much as Hangtime likes a Rolling Plane Set; I'd probably quit AH if that happened. :-)

The Warbirds boards are filled with with people complaining about that setup.

IMHO, it reduces the Holy Grail of plane choice far more than an RPS, particularly for those of us who never switch sides.

And I fail to see what is so "realistic" relative to what we have now; Sure, we won't have F4Us fighting F4Us and Spits, but we'll have Me109s and Nikis fighting on the same side in the same furball.

Two-sided wars also have serious potential play balance problems.

The answer is  more large-scale formal scenarios...like Afrika Corps, and we have plenty of them in the works.

THAT'S how you compete with WWIIonline, not straight-jacketing the MA into an annoying and problematic 1 vs. 1 Axis and Allies war.

[This message has been edited by Torgo (edited 02-15-2001).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »

Originally posted by Cobra:
Guys,
Why complain about the price.  This means I can have a sub in BOTH AH and WWIIONLINE!

I think it benefits ALL of us.

Cobra

BINGO, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
Our MA (without the slightest touch of historical correctnes) filled with CHogs reminds me much more of Quake than anything I read and saw about WW2Online...
Real men fly Radial!

TheWobble

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2001, 10:19:00 AM »

Westy I've been in Zone playing RS but I can't see what's your point this time ?

Same here, never had any problems at all, but I guess if yer a 56k LOSER, you may have troubles, but thats yer sad connection, not the service.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2001, 10:22:00 AM »

Originally posted by Kirin:
Our MA (without the slightest touch of historical correctnes) filled with CHogs reminds me much more of Quake than anything I read and saw about WW2Online...

Aye Kirin.

I have to say that if the flight FM is as realistic as they claim it to be (CRS has said that it will be at the Wb/AH level), I could care less if the ground fitin is like Quake3 (it isnt, they have said that the closest comparation will be Hidden$Dangerous...one bad hit and bye bye).

Quakeheads will still be rampant, sure...but...remember that you only win ranks by winning mission points. And that you lose your points for the mission flown AND any streaks you have, by dying.

Quakeheads love SCORES. And SCORES, inverse than here, DONT PAY THE QUAKE PLAYER.

Personally I cant wait to get into a Me110 or Me109 cockpit and start killing bad guys.  

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
 Personally, img more excited about Target Korea. $9.99 and you can set it up to play any way you want. Sort of 8 player, on steroids.

[This message has been edited by easymo (edited 02-15-2001).]

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2001, 12:05:00 PM »

Originally posted by Jochen:
....if they can implement all the stuff they have promised.

This one phrase kinda sums up my feelings about it.  Also if their connections are anything like CFS through "the Zone" then I will have to say "No Thanks."  

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2001, 12:31:00 PM »
It's not a pipe dream, be patient grasshoppers. That is all  

Offline Vila

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flyingpigs.com
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2001, 01:15:00 PM »

I saw WWIIOL at the Eurocon in November last year. In a state it was then June boxed release seems pretty optimistic .

The game are progressed FAR from where it was in November...of that you can be sure.  Will thye make June?  I dunno.

The plans of the Rats are very ambitious to say the least. It sounds fantastic but I can't see organised warfare with infantry, artillery, tanks and planes working for 24/7.

The key will be how they funnel the fighting.  In WB and AH, we get the planes, the map and we pretty much have to make up the rest as we go. That's fine, but what if it was done differently?

Just think about it - a plane searching for a fight is moving at 200-300 virtual mph... A tank - everyone remembers non-stop whines about 1-2 hours tank drives to get to the "front" A soldier - doesn't bear thinking about...

The obvious answer is you have to plan things out a bit differently than has been done in the past eh?  That means considering different travel speeds in determining how to set up spawn points.  Makes sense that designers of this type a game might consider that.  

This one phrase kinda sums up my feelings about it. Also if their connections are anything like CFS through "the Zone" then I will have to say "No Thanks."

Why would their connections be anything like CFS2 on the Zone?

It isn't a peer to peer system like CFS2, it's a client/server system not unlike AH.  

------------------
Vila <Flying Pigs>
Oink! Oink! To War!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2001, 01:31:00 PM »
Vila, put down those Pom Poms!