Author Topic: Jimmy Carter's explosive critique of Tony Blair  (Read 1098 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Jimmy Carter's explosive critique of Tony Blair
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 03:56:26 PM »
Originally posted by Trikky
You quoted an article criticising the UN as evidence of Europe hating Israel, which suggests you either dont know what the UN is, or what Europe is, or were trolling.

I quoted an article that pointed several facts. The UN is dominated by Europe. Inferences can be made from there, but it's water under the bridge, and I don't mean to hijack this guy's thread (That being said, I SHOULd have said LEFTIST segments of the UN)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 09:19:33 PM »
Originally posted by AquaShrimp
It failed because he forced the different branches of the military to work together?  Please, thats preposterous...

As far as fiscal policy, Carter wanted to stop inflation.  Whats so bad about that?

Read the reports on the incident.  Read Haney's take on it.  Realise that the forced use of Navy helos with crews unused to flying NOE over land and with zero visibilty in the sand and you will quickly realise that the statement I made is very correct.  Sadly a lot of good men died to appease a political maneuver becasue Carter did not have the balls to put his foot down on the inter service rivalry...

As for fiscal policy, sure, he wanted to stop inflation, everyone does, but his policies did F all to stop it.  It took Reagan to turn it around.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 09:30:54 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
Read the reports on the incident.  Read Haney's take on it.  

I don't care how much Mr. Haney hates Jimmy Carter. Hell, Mr. Haney talks funny and never talked much sense on Green Acres.

Read "Blind Into Baghdad." ;)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 09:52:38 PM »
I am just happy Carter didnt give away Texas or New Mexico while he was giving away the Panama Canal.

Some notes about Carters presidency besides giving away Panama Canal:

Invited Castro to empty his prisons ala the "Muriel Boat Lift"

Oversaw such a horrible fiscal policy, interest rates skyrocketed beyond 20%

Lacked the backbone to get hostages back from Iran

Staffed the White House with incompetent boobs from GA with no experience

The last thing this incompetent fool should do is critize other world leades, especially those who can actually get re-elected.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 10:01:46 PM »
On the other hand... maybe 52 people finally went home because Carter was smart enough not to "cowboy up."
sand

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 10:02:56 PM »
Tool, ya mean like people ignorant enough to blame the problems at Desert 1 on Carter?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 10:10:49 PM »
Desert One

Although Carter went on television the next day to announce the failure of the mission and to accept the blame, Congress and the Pentagon launched inquiries to determine the reasons for the tragedy. The Pentagon probe was handled by a board of three retired and three serving flag officers representing all four services; it was led by retired Adm. James L. Holloway III. The commission's report listed 23 areas "that troubled us professionally about the mission-areas in which there appeared to be weaknesses."

"We are apprehensive that the critical tone of our discussion could be misinterpreted as an indictment of the able and brave men who planned and executed this operation. We encountered not a shred of evidence of culpable neglect or incompetence," the report said.

The commission concluded that the concept and plan for the mission were feasible and had a reasonable chance for success.

But, it noted, "the rescue mission was a high-risk operation. ... People and equipment were called upon to perform at the upper limits of human capacity and equipment capability. There was little margin to compensate for mistakes or plain bad luck."

The major criticism was of the "ad hoc" nature of the task force, a chain of command the commission felt was unclear, and an emphasis on operational secrecy it found excessive.

The commission also said the chances for success would have been improved if more backup helicopters had been provided, if a rehearsal of all mission components had been held, and if the helicopter pilots had had better access to weather information and the data on the RH-53s' BIM warning system.

And it suggested that Air Force helicopter pilots might have been better qualified for the mission.

However, the report also said, "The helicopter crews demonstrated a strong dedication toward mission accomplishment by their reluctance to abort under unusually difficult conditions." And it concluded that, "two factors combined to directly cause the mission abort: an unexpected helicopter failure rate and the low-visibility flight conditions en route to Desert One."

Beckwith openly blamed the helicopter pilots immediately after the mission. However, in his critique to the Senate Armed Services Committee, he attributed the failure to Murphy's Law and the use of an ad hoc organization for such a difficult mission. "We went out and found bits and pieces, people and equipment, brought them together occasionally, and then asked them to perform a highly complex mission," he said. "The parts all performed, but they didn't necessarily perform as a team."
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 10:29:15 PM »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 10:37:24 PM »
Carter's past becomes increasingly sinister the more he critisizes Bush's (or Blair's) present. It's the tit for tat principle. ;)

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2006, 02:19:23 AM »
"I think that more than any other person in the world the Prime Minister could have had a moderating influence on Washington - and he has not. I really thought that Tony Blair, who I know personally to some degree, would be a constraint on President Bush's policies towards Iraq."

Carter is living in la la land if he thought Blair could have put the brakes on the neocon knuckle heads and their agenda by influencing Bush. The strings were pulled behind the scene, Bush was only a conduit for PNAC.

"We now have a situation where America is so unpopular overseas that even in countries like Egypt and Jordan our approval ratings are less than five per cent. It's a shameful and pitiful state of affairs and I hold your British Prime Minister to be substantially responsible for being so compliant and subservient."

Yep, in the mid east America's credibility is lower than mud and it's mostly the fault of the Brits. Bloody foreigners.

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2006, 07:58:42 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Carter's past becomes increasingly sinister the more he critisizes Bush's (or Blair's) present. It's the tit for tat principle. ;)
Actually, every time he speaks he reminds people of how bad he was as a president.

Carter was discussed quite a bit in this thread when it wasn't a response to one of his statements.

Carter was a horrible president. If he'd have been pres in 2001, there'd be saudi contractors rebuilding the WTC right now. The fact that he's on the "U.N.'s side" does not lend any credence to their position, it weakens it.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2006, 08:23:50 AM »
carter calling anyone "timid" is the height of irony for anyone who lived under his reign.

The man has become an outspoken liberal now that he doesn't have to pretend to be sane.

lazs

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2006, 08:34:53 AM »
Carter's public persona is pretty much a fabrication too, according to a friend who was a secret service agent in the whitehouse during Carter's administration.   He said that Carter was extremely aloof, never friendly at all, and often rude to service personnel.  He said Carter's kids were absolute prettythangholes too - totally spoiled and very demanding and snotty.

Personally, I think Carter has gone off the deep end.   He seems to be in a big hurry to try to rehabilitate his legacy by trashing other administrations.  Forget his idiotic politics for a minute, his public expression of lack of respect and lack of support for a serving US President are unheard of for a past president.  He has no sense of honor for the US Presidency, maybe because he wants to bring others down to his miserable level.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2006, 09:41:01 AM »
We should listen to Carter. Hes an expert on non-action. Except building houses for the needy.

~AoM~

Offline Mightytboy

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2006, 11:57:37 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
On the other hand... maybe 52 people finally went home because Carter was smart enough not to "cowboy up."

More like they went home because he was no longer in power and the hostage takers were afraid a real man was becoming president and they better watch out.

Carter is a nut job that should be locked away and put on meds till he's at least as sane as Al Gore. Which isn't very sane but at least Al isn't as delusional as peanut boy.