Author Topic: A few very annoying problems  (Read 477 times)

Offline Bloke

• Zinc Member
A few very annoying problems
« on: August 29, 2006, 10:14:56 AM »
Hi all

I've been playing AH2 for a few days and really love it.  But I'm having several highly annoying problems that are spoiling my enjoyment:

1. Graphical/control glitch.
Frequently when I start the game there will be a bizarre graphical glitch.  On the opening menu, where it displays the clipboard, there will be a clipboard 'page' constantly rotating in the background.   It rotates quite fast producing a kind of strobe effect.

When this happens, if I then go into the arena (or training), the whole screen will be rotating in a sickening lurch and is completely unplayable.   Sometimes it also causes me to crash the moment I appear on the runway, and a HOST message says "Don't move your controls so fast."   It makes no difference if I try moving the controls around.

Sometimes this is fixed by closing and restarting AH, but often I have to reboot to clear it.   Then the game will work fine, but if I close it and reopen it the problem often reoccurs

2. Crashes.
The very first time I went into the Main Arena, the game locked up completely as soon as the Tower screen appeared.

Since then it has happend once or twice more.   I've also had a lockup mid-flight.  

When this happens, my PC still appears to be alive - numlock lights up if I press it, and if I Alt-Tab I see a Windows-style pointer appear.  But it's impossible to get AH off my screen.   I hit control-alt-delete and I'm fairly sure that Task Manager has loaded (I hear a HD whir and the mouse cursor appears), but still all I can see is AH.   I've found no way out of this other than a reboot.

I've also had a crash on startup a couple of times - I load AH and it never gets beyond the opening splash screen.  Fortunately in this case it was possible to Alt-Tab out and close it without rebooting.

3. Alt-Tab kills the game
It's impossible to alt-tab out of the game and return to it.   I alt-tab out, but when I try and go back (either with an alt-tab or by clicking AH on the taskbar) the game just vanishes.

Ironically this happens even if I choose "Online Help" from the AH clipboard menu.   I click that, go read the webpage help, then when I try to get back to the game it just closes.

My setup is as follows:

AMD dual-core X2 4800 on Asus A8N-SLI Premium Mobo with 4gb ram
NVidia 7800GT 256mb PCI-Express graphics
Logitech MX Laser mouse, CH Flight Yoke, CH Pedals, TrackIR 4 all connected to the USB hub built into my Dell 2405FPW monitor
Aureon Firewire external 7.1 soundcard (used with headphones)

Windows XP SP2 with all latest fixes
DirectX 9.0c
Latest 91.36 NVidia drivers (problems also happened with earlier 8x.xx drivers)

I run AH at 1920x1200 (same as my Windows res) but the graphical glitch also occurs at 1600x1200.    Background processes include Bitdefender antivirus, RealVNC, Quicktime, SnagIt Clipboard.  I also have ffdshow for DVD upsampling but I don't think this is being activated by AH (it did cause a problem with Falcon 4)

Any help much appreciated.   I currently have to reboot my PC pretty much every time I want to load AH in order to clear one or other of the major problems.   I have numerous other games installed (FS2004, Lock On, IL2 Stumovich, Falcon 4 Allied Force, XPlane, Age of Empires 3 and many more) which all work faultlessly every time.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:22:50 AM by Bloke »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 11:11:44 AM »
You need to follow this link.  Until you install the patch from AMD, for thier dual core CPU's, you will have all manner of problems.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 11:53:09 AM »
The spinning pages and such are caused by the AMD bug.  Follow the link Skuzzy posted and all will be well.  

The lockups are more likely one of your background processes.  Antivirus is a good suspect for this, but Realplayer can cause it too if it decides to look for updates while you are flying.  There's absolutely no need to be loading it into memory and using up resources at startup anyway.  Kill it.  How many processes do you have running?

Offline Bloke

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 12:15:59 PM »
Great, thanks.

I have a bunch of dual-core fixes installed, but didn't know about that June optimizer release or the newer CPU driver (I have a version from January)

I currently have 70 processes running including Firefox and Thunderbird (which sometimes are running when I play AH, sometimes not).  I do have Realplayer but I'm pretty sure I turned off all updating and auto starting (I dont have real* in my process list)

As I say, I have no lockups in any other games or in any other program, just AH.  The most frequent so far (3 times in 5 days I think) has been a lockup the moment the Tower screen appears after I've gone into the MA.   It starts loading those graphics and then just freezes.   There's been one lockup in flight.   And just an hour ago, I had my first lockup when loading the game - it didn't display the splash screen, just a flickering blue background that then went to a flickering grey background.  That required a reboot too.

Of course these may also be related to the AMD dual core issues, so I'll try the new drivers and the optimizer.

Any thoughts on Alt-Tab?  That's really annoying too.

Offline Bloke

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 12:27:12 PM »
Ooh, the AMD fixes seem to have fixed Alt-Tab too!

Splendid.  Thanks for the help guys.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 12:31:10 PM »
70 processes?  A typical Windows XP installation has 19 to 21.  You do realize that for every process (exe), you are losing a percentage of your overall system performance?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bloke

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 12:34:07 PM »
Sure, but I have a beefy system with loads of ram and pretty fast dual cores.  I usually have games on 1920x1200 res with maximum graphics and I see decent performance.

This isn't just a gaming PC, I have various work-related utilities installed too, as well as DVD playback, bluetooth, phone software, soundcard software, etc etc

Right now I have AH in the background and I have 3gb memory free, and CPU usage is 56% - one core pretty much maxed out with AH, the other mostly idle running the background stuff.

Anyway the Optimizer seems ot have sorted everything out so I'm happy now :)

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 05:25:43 PM »
Whatever works for you lol.  Personally it would drive me bonkers having that many things running in the background.  Glad its working for you.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 01:12:17 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
70 processes?  A typical Windows XP installation has 19 to 21.  You do realize that for every process (exe), you are losing a percentage of your overall system performance?

yea .... EEEEEEEEK 70 processes darn .. how many of those are backdoor /keyloggers /spy/update/firewall/ adware/ av/ and other worthless  programs ?

That many processes is like having a family of gremlins running Amok .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation