Author Topic: Apollo 13: We have a solution  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Apollo 13: We have a solution
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 07:35:18 PM »
Thanks Wolfala  :aok
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 07:48:28 PM »
Great read.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 07:59:51 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
That was some of the best engineering ever performed on one of the most intense engineering projects in history.  The guys who were there still ride on the cusp of the very best.
Agreed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 08:56:11 PM »
Thanks Wolfala, very interesting read.
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 09:59:57 PM »
The movie was shorter.

But not better.

Good read.

Thanks
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 10:55:06 PM »
That  was a good read- Thanks

Offline hacksaw1

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 05:31:46 AM »
Great read. Thanks for posting Wolf.

Speaking of engineering, the link above "The Devil's in the Details” has some interesting details…

----------

…the wiring inside the [O2] tanks be rated to function at 28 volts, this is the voltage the tanks would be operated at in space. Beech in turn subcontracted for the thermostatic safety switches used inside the cryogenic tanks, specifying a 28-volt operating environment.

Three years later, NASA decided that it wanted the electrical systems of the Apollo spacecraft to be completely compatible with the 65 volts used in the ground-support and test equipment at Cape Canaveral in Florida, in addition to the lower levels used in space. North American informed Beech Aircraft of the change, but Beech never informed its subcontractor, so the thermostatic safety switches were never upgraded to operate above 28 volts. [UHHH Ohhh]

Still, the Apollo 13 service module probably could have gotten away with using the underrated switches, if not for an accident that occurred in 1968. Along with its twin, oxygen tank one, oxygen tank two was installed in the service module that would fly as part of the Apollo 10 mission. Because of an unrelated problem, oxygen tanks one and two in Apollo 10 were swapped out for another pair, and the originals went into Apollo13. But during the swap, oxygen tank two was dropped about 5 centimeters.

The tank was inspected and appeared to be fine, and so it was installed in Apollo 13's service module. During a test about a month before Apollo 13's launch in 1970, the tank was filled with liquid oxygen. All went well until gas was pumped into the tank to empty it by forcing the liquid oxygen out under pressure. Oxygen tank two failed to empty. (The official investigation into the Apollo 13 crisis later surmised that the 5- centimeter drop in 1968 had knocked a fitting loose inside the tank, preventing normal emptying.)

Stuck with a tank full of liquid oxygen, the test engineers eventually decided to turn on the heaters built into the tank to boil off the oxygen. The heaters were connected to the 65-volt ground-power supply, which fused the thermostatic switches shut. Instead of tripping open when temperatures in the tank reached 27 degrees C, the switches allowed the heaters to keep running as temperatures inside the tank soared to more than 500 degrees C. [UHHH Ohhh] This high temperature damaged the Teflon insulation coating the wires near the heaters and left exposed wiring within the tank. Later, when the spacecraft was already on its way to the moon, it was this wiring that sparked when the tank fans were turned on, which in turn led to the Teflon insulation igniting. The resulting fire sent pressures within the tank through the roof, and the tank blew up.

---------

I read somewhere else that Lovell, as commander of the flight, was aware of the previous problem with the O2 tank, and had signed off the gripe prior to launch of Apollo 13.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 11:16:19 AM »
Lovel signed off on a gripe beforehand? Where, when?

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 11:29:21 AM »
Originally posted by icemaw
HOLY CUT AND PASTE BATMAN!!!
We have a new king! Wolfala and paste!

I bow in your presence and hand the crown over gently....

Incidently, get the book Apollo 13. Great reading.

Offline hacksaw1

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2006, 12:03:40 PM »
Hi Wolf,

I haven't found the article that I read, but I did find this:

-----------

The No. 2 oxygen tank, serial number 10024X-TA0009 had been previously installed in the service module of Apollo 10, but was removed for modification (and was damaged in the process of removal). The tank was fixed, tested at the factory, installed in the Apollo 13 service module. and tested again during the Countdown Demonstration Test (CDT) at the Kennedy Space Center.beginning March 16, 1970. The tanks normally are emptied to about half full, and No. 1 behaved all right. But No. 2 dropped to only 92 percent of capacity. Gaseous oxygen at 80 psi was applied through the vent line to expel the liquid oxygen, but to no avail. An interim discrepancy report was written, and on March 27, two weeks before launch, detanking operations were resumed. No. 1 again emptied normally, but No. 2 did not. After a conference with contractor and NASA personnel, the test director decided to "boil off" the remaining oxygen in No. 2 by using the electrical heater within the tank. The technique worked, but it took eight hours of 65-volt DC power from the ground-support equipment to dissipate the oxygen. Due to an oversight in replacing an underrated component during a design modification, this turned out to severely damage the internal heating elements of the tank.

Apollo 13

and this:

Tests run on the tank after the repairs indicated proper functioning but, in the weeks preceding the Apollo 13 launch, ground crews experienced significant difficulties draining it. In hindsight, it was at this point that NASA should have taken a hard look at the health of the tank but instead, all of the cognizant individuals - the crew included - concluded that the problem was not serious.

NASA

and this at Wikipedia:

...the tank could not be properly emptied except by running the heater to evaporate the liquid gas. Not using this tank would have delayed the mission, and there was no alternate tank available. Lovell was aware of the decision to use the heater to evaporate the oxygen, which was calculated to take a few days at the highest operational temperature of 80 °F (27 °C).

However, when the heater was turned on continuously, the higher 65-volt supply fused the thermostat, which was only wired to handle 28 volts. This malfunction eliminated the thermostat's ability to switch off the heater, which in turn allowed the heater to keep heating up past 80 °F (27 °C), and eventually past 100 °F. The current recorder in the power supply showed that the heater was not cycling on and off, as it should have if the thermostat was functioning correctly, but no-one noticed it at the time. Because the thermometer did not register temperatures higher than 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius), the monitoring equipment did not register the true temperature inside the tank - an estimated 800 degrees Fahrenheit (430 °C). Instead of taking several days, the gas evaporated in hours. The high temperatures burned off the teflon coating, leaving the wires inside the tank exposed.

--------

So, two weeks before launch, Lovell, as flight commander, was well informed and involved in all decisions concerning show-stopping maintenance. I'll keep looking to see if I can find the article I read that said he actually signed off a MAF or whatever they were using.

Best Regards,

Cement
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 01:09:43 PM by hacksaw1 »

Offline tassos

• Nickel Member
      • Free Warbids Arena
Re: Apollo 13: We have a solution
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
See Rule #10
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:24:35 AM by Skuzzy »
Living Aces High from Sep 1999 as ATZE,MrROX,and from Feb 2000 as tassos
Quit: OPEN /Google:48°58'22.40"N 10°8'15.30"E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69CquvLHgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCq22Vpa18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXsVxFycRZo
Aces High be a part...

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »
Thanks for posting
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
Vivere non est necesse, navigare necesse est.  [We have to sail, we do not have to live]  Those who boldly go are among our bravest, :salute.

-Penguin

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 08:55:19 PM »
Way to bump a 4+ year old thread!    :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata