Author Topic: Best Gadget Ever Made  (Read 619 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 01:50:11 AM »
No need to pirate when one can hack Pandora. ;)
sand

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 02:12:45 AM »
I just got 30GB (5thG) ipod, and there is definitely a problem with the ipods' bass..  With uncompressed files it's fine, but give a number of compressed sound files a try and you'll hear the bass distort soon enough.

I'm trying different compressions and formats to see what the best solution is.  There's no doubt the sound is less good than a 30GB Creative of a friend of mine I listened to recently.  IIRC the ipod's only got a 3 band EQ..
Movies eat up battery in a hurry.. If anyone knows what the best replacement battery is for 5th gen ipods, I'd appreciate the advice.

That said, the ergonomics are great.  I've been told the screen is also less good than that Creative's, but honestly the ipod's already quite good.
It is surprising Creative puts out a better LCD than Apple, considering Apple's track record.  The next ipod should adress this and the rest of its few shortcomings (Ebooks, richer EQ, etc).
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 02:24:53 AM »
Originally posted by moot
I just got 30GB (5thG) ipod, and there is definitely a problem with the ipods' bass..  With uncompressed files it's fine, but give a number of compressed sound files a try and you'll hear the bass distort soon enough.

I'm trying different compressions and formats to see what the best solution is.  There's no doubt the sound is less good than a 30GB Creative of a friend of mine I listened to recently.  IIRC the ipod's only got a 3 band EQ..
Movies eat up battery in a hurry.. If anyone knows what the best replacement battery is for 5th gen ipods, I'd appreciate the advice.

That said, the ergonomics are great.  I've been told the screen is also less good than that Creative's, but honestly the ipod's already quite good.
It is surprising Creative puts out a better LCD than Apple, considering Apple's track record.  The next ipod should adress this and the rest of its few shortcomings (Ebooks, richer EQ, etc).

Try getting a new and better headset. My old ipod shuffle went from so-so to excellent.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 02:31:38 AM »
Hmm best gadget yet imo must be one of those smart-phones with wifi, radio, mp3 player, big screen, camera and gps unit. There are several of them, but i have not yet deciden on what ill get.

I will prolly end up with the Sony Ericsson P990i even if its lacking a buildt in gps. I am very happy with the now aging P910 even if the camera is poor and connectivity is limited to bluetooth and gprs.

The P990i has begun shipping and is available in stores.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 02:45:24 AM »
Try it Nilsen.  I tried the two players with equal headphones and sound files.  I'd be glad to be wrong about this.
In any case the ipod's bass is definitely pretty discreet, especially without the EQ's help.

I've got a big old Sony headset that's good for home, but otherwise the next best earbuds from the 300€ pieces are Sony EX70SL's, here.  No Ety. Er6 isolators or anything mid-price.
Hopefully the bass won't be so weak on those.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 02:51:12 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 02:46:32 AM »
My best gadget is my nokia n80 mobile, the wifi rocks and i also TV on it too which is good enough to keep you occupied whilst out shopping with the missus :-) its also, plug and playable through the usb too into any pc and just shows up as a disk so it acts as my usb key too. and if i get a 2Gb mem card for it ,it pretty much makes haveing a Nano pointless.

But i dealy love my 30Gb Ipod as well, goes with me everywhere, plugs into my car stereo, plugs into my home stereo.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 02:49:34 AM »
Originally posted by moot
Try it Nilsen.  I tried the two players with equal headphones and sound files.  I'd be glad to be wrong about this.
In any case the ipod's bass is definitely pretty discreet, especially without the EQ's help.

Cant argue with that.

If you are not satisfied then you are not. Music listening and what one likes is highly individual. If it does not deilver you required bass then the only smart thing to do is to look elsewere. The choises in players are almost endless these days.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 02:53:37 AM »
Originally posted by Blank
My best gadget is my nokia n80 mobile, the wifi rocks and i also TV on it too which is good enough to keep you occupied whilst out shopping with the missus :-) its also, plug and playable through the usb too into any pc and just shows up as a disk so it acts as my usb key too. and if i get a 2Gb mem card for it ,it pretty much makes haveing a Nano pointless.

But i dealy love my 30Gb Ipod as well, goes with me everywhere, plugs into my car stereo, plugs into my home stereo.

That is a really good gadet. My brother in law has that phone and he is happy with the N80 although the size is abit big for him. If it had a bit bigger touch screen I would prolly take it over the P990i.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 03:00:48 AM »
Yeah, well for example, that 30GB ipod is priced 390€ here.  That's the price of a 60GB elswhere.. those little sony buds are twice the "normal" price.
Not much "choice" :)
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 08:43:18 AM »
Originally posted by Pongo
really?
what is see in my itunes directory is m4a files.
Perhaps you've configured iTunes to convert CDs to M4a instead of MP3.  I don't use iTunes to manage my MP3 players, I format them as disks and just drag and drop.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 01:39:56 PM »
Sell the ipod and buy a creative zen nano. Buy non perishible food with the money that you have left over. Or whatever you want.

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 01:48:01 PM »
Another thing, creative nano uses a single AAA cell. Like the kind you can buy at any corner store... in the world, or the kind that will fit into a cheap solar recharger.

As far as gadgetry, standardization of batteries is a high priority with me. If it won't work on AA or AAA cells, it's not coming with me.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
Best Gadget Ever Made
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 02:00:28 PM »
xrtoronto,

Buy a itrip for your car. Works great. But its sometimes hard to scroll through your songs while driving. Make sure you turn the clicker sound off too.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripnano/
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'