Author Topic: Look out Zombies, here comes Betty Lou <pics>  (Read 353 times)

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Look out Zombies, here comes Betty Lou <pics>
« on: January 07, 2008, 03:52:10 PM »
Well, after a 3 month wait (build and test time), I've finally joined the world of the Sport Utility Rifle :D

It was built by Defensive Edge (SLR15.com).  I haven't had a chance to get her to the range since the weather has been so crappy lately here in Southern Wisconsin.  Maybe this coming weekend.  I've got 400 rounds burning a hole in my pocket.  Even the wife wants to go out and shoot it and she has no shooting experience at all.  Maybe I can talk her into getting an AK next :D

Does anyone have any advice for some cheap plinking ammo?  I know cabelas has 1000 round boxes of .223, but I heard there was a 23-24 week leadtime for the stuff.  The rifle is chambered for 5.56 so I can shoot either .223 or 5.56.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 03:58:09 PM »
...  It's not a real gun unless it has wood on it.  :p
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 04:12:46 PM »
I am not really big into ARs, have owned one before Cali banned them.

Fun guns to shoot.

So, how much real difference is there between a hand built one and say one you get from Bushmaster or DPMS?

What do they do to them to tune them?

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:31:59 PM »
Pretty Sharp. I plan on building one eventually, Although I'm not sure if I like the longer barrel. Although before I build one I might go CETME, they are cheaper to buy and can can be built with all the fancy rails and such. And more mmph than the 5.56.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=88266615#PIC
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:05:04 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2

What do they do to them to tune them?

I'm not sure the actual procedure they use to tune the guns.   I know it goes through a barrel break in procedure and a harmonics test and then zeroed for 50 yards.  Basically it shoots ±2" from the aimpoint out to 250 meters.  The barrel is a 1/9 twist with free float, YHM handguards.

I was considering for a while going with the 6.5 grendel or the 6.8, but decided to stay with the 5.56 as a starting point.

I have yet to get it to the range, but I'm thinking its going to be more accurate than me.  At least for a while :D

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 07:07:53 PM »
Originally posted by Modas
I'm not sure the actual procedure they use to tune the guns.   I know it goes through a barrel break in procedure and a harmonics test and then zeroed for 50 yards.  Basically it shoots ±2" from the aimpoint out to 250 meters.  The barrel is a 1/9 twist with free float, YHM handguards.

I was considering for a while going with the 6.5 grendel or the 6.8, but decided to stay with the 5.56 as a starting point.

I have yet to get it to the range, but I'm thinking its going to be more accurate than me.  At least for a while :D

Cool.

I always wanted to build one, but California sucking giant goat nuts put an end to that.

I know all my rifles are more accurate then I am ;)