Author Topic: Got a haircut, and got a new job  (Read 1158 times)

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Got a haircut, and got a new job
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 02:40:48 PM »
Holy financial crap batman! :eek:  Omg your scaring me!, makes my $1400 credit debt seem less scary. I just needed a better job to pay for things quick while in colege, i figured i could whip up some IT credentials pretty fast and be making SOME  money. Mech Engineering training is long and drawn out and as you guessed, you make no money while it's going on. So is flight training, trying to add ratings to become hirable is a long story too. Figured the IT thing might put some food on the table quick.  It sucks to be young and penniless.  :rolleyes:  Jeez hope yule be alrght man. :confused:

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 03:15:38 PM »
Congratulations. I'm glad the employment Gods have smiled on you. :aok

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 03:22:19 PM »
If anybody else out there is looking for a job, just move to Alberta.
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 01:51:51 AM »
I quit paying my unsecured credit when I got back together with my girl.. why?

Me.. $20,000 in CC debt.. not real responsible but did what I had to do at the time.

Wife.. $120,000 in total debt including CC's her ex husband racked up in her name (without her knowledge), but mostly medical debt from some major surgery she went through during a time she had no insurance.

It's so rediculous it's not even worth trying to pay.  Creditors are just now starting to sue me (almost 4 years later).. I'm sure it won't be long before hers does too.

I'm fighting my first lawsuit pro se (no lawyer)... the Collection Agency doesn't have much in the way of proof so we'll see how that pans out in court.  There will be others afterward.

The way I see it.. worst case scenario?  They garnish 25% of my wages.  If it gets to that point we'll just file chapter 7 bankruptcy.  Our credit is already screwed anyway.  Can't go to jail for not paying bills (except income tax).  Best case?  I fight the collectors and get the lawsuits dismissed.

Here's how it works.. original credit charges off the debt (tax write off), then hires a collection agency..  Collection agency does their thing for awhile then sells the debt to a 3rd party JDB (Junk Debt Buyer) for 5 to 10 cents on the dollar (if not less).

3rd party JDB harasses, then sues the person.. sometimes they have proof of the debt and sometimes not.  In either case if you don't fight the lawsuit, you lose.  They hope for a default judgement, then go for garnishment.  They actually make lots of money on collecting money that doesn't even really belong to them.  On top of that they add lawyers/court fees to the total amount they charge you, so it really doesn't cost them a dime to pursue you (if they win).

Personally, I'd make more of an effort to pay off my debts if I thought for one second the original creditor would get paid back.. but none of it goes to them.  The whole system is a joke.  Doesn't even seem like it should be legal....

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 02:18:16 AM »
Sounds like tow truck drivers and impoundment lots. Or internet crime.....there's something wrong happening but no way to prove it so they get off scot free.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 02:56:22 AM »
WTG Tigger.

IIRC Pitney Bowes is supposed to be a good place to work.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 08:20:03 AM »
lol, I work for your competitor.  Bowe Bell & Howell
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Re: Got a haircut, and got a new job
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 10:48:19 AM »
Originally posted by Magellan
When asked about the details of recovering a database his response was "I can Google with the best of them." Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

That made me laugh. One of the first tech jobs I got (straight out of college) gave me their training mantra "Anything you don't know, look up on Google". Needless to say, they didn't last long with me. Happy memories though.

WTG on the job though Tigger. Maybe one day you'l join us lucky bastages who work for ourselves from home in front of a computer and sometimes just play AH instead. You're on the path!
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.