Author Topic: Friday, Sep 8th @ 11pm ET  (Read 2036 times)

storch

Friday, Sep 8th @ 11pm ET
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2006, 06:51:01 AM »
nifty, I believe you and sim. one should be able to expect a 1v1 to be allowed to play itself out in the AvA.  it used to be the unwritten rule with very few exceptions.  what you described being ganged, the same thing happens to me and everyone else just about every time one plays.

sunday I logged on around 1500 EST, there were five players on.  I upped a Ki61 and went to engage a higher spit right off of the runway.  after about three blown passes by this player his squadmate drops in from the akakosphere to nail me.  I typed a few whines and logged off.  I haven't logged back on to the AvA and probably won't again until they end this planeset which I dislike.

what I saw on saturday night when I logged on around 2400 EST was an even field of about six players per side.  most of the fights were on the deck and most of the allied players were in spitfires.  nothing new there.  since the fights were between very close bases it was a conveyor belt of reuppings on both teams.  the guys flying zekes were pretty much scolded by oldman for doing so.  I don't know what you guys expected but I suspect it's the same thing I hope to see when I'm in the AvA but something I haven't seen since early in AH1, namely sportsmanlike conduct on the part of all players.

the lack thereof in this arena is one of the things that frustrates me to no end.  sadly I have given up the notion that it exists.  I have come to see things from another perspective, the AvA is indeed a mini and sucky MA.  we the players have made it so.  it doesn't matter that I ask if a player needs help prior to entering a fight, the same courtesy is seldomly extended to me. gone are the days when  two players playing out a chance encounter and others seeing it for what it is on both sides steered clear and allowed the chips to fall where they may. henceforth if the planeset is appealing to me I'll play the AvA if not then I'll eschew it for the MA.

the fewer the players in the AvA the better the fight.  the best fights are when there is only one other guy on.  that you cannot find in the MA at any time and the DA lacks the spontinaity that I value most.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2006, 08:20:59 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
So, Storch, yeah I think the Ki (used as an energy plane) would be the best plane in the set because it could control engagement/ disengagement at will.  The Tony is a goner against a Spit.  The only problem for the allies is that the 2nd best Axis plane could outrun and outturn them both....

My own sense is that the Zeke is the best plane in the set, followed fairly closely by the Spit, which is close in maneuverability and has better guns.  The P40 v Tony is really a great fight, the planes are closely matched (with, as you say, the slight edge going to the Tony).  These fights almost always go to the better pilot.  On balance, though, your squad ought to have taken the Axis side, which holds an overall advantage.  By the time I logged on your people had already selected Allies, though.  Quite often this is the "trickle in" effect - the first squad members to show up pick a side, for whatever reason (the lure of the Spit?) and others join the same side as they show up.

E25280: The numebrs I was talking about were at the point of contact, not in the arena. And what I saw was not the aftermath of a 3v3. It was single allied planes coming in towards the axis base, and getting attacked by 2-3 guys at once -- instead of the extra guys going on to engage the next con. It was ganging pure and simple.

I fear that I saw the same thing, and mentioned it to Duke when he logged on.  I've thought about it for the past few days, and it seems to me that the ganging resulted from a combination of the unusually close bases and a bad case of "he did it first" syndrome.

Even in the AvA we don't usually have opposing bases as close together as they were on Friday night.  By the time you were gear-up, you were almost halfway to the enemy base, and, since the other guys were in the same boat, we were meeting each other almost immediately and at low altitude - the conveyor belt Storch talks about below.  It's natural enough to turn into the red plane that's almost on top of you.

The ugly part was the tit-for-tat undercurrent I sensed.  Three planes approaching you on the deck sure look like a 3 v 1, but those three planes might be looking at you and the two guys upping from the base right behind you.  Regardless, you will think you were ganged, and will be more inclined to gang others ("If that's the way these guys wanna play, well FINE!").  One way or the other, there was a certain killer madness going on Friday night.  It didn't help things any when a couple of folks started vulching, probably out of ignorance, possibly out of frustration.

Most AvA regulars are really good pilots. The Mongrels have some good sticks, but a lot of us are just guys having fun. It seems to me that when the announced guests were getting reamed, it would have been good manners to lighten up, or offer a side switch. Instead, I saw 4 axis planes chasing Sondog on the deck, and 3 more after another guy.
[/b]
....er....I did suggest a side switch, could well be that you missed it in all the madness.   While it would seem a daunting prospect, it actually wouldn't have been so tough, I think.  Just tell your people to start switching as soon as the die, pretty soon it will all be turned around as others switch to even out the sides.  Or simply say, "Hey, OK if we tried to fly as an Axis squad for awhile?"  That's one of the unique things the AvA offers, is the ability to be a historical squad against historical opponents.  We'll have to remember this for the next time.

Sondog did very well, it seemed to me.  And remember that a 3v3 furball can rapidly become a 3v1 gang if there a couple of quick kills.

I didnt have fun Friday, but some guys clearly did. (After I left...I wonder if that has a deeper meaning....) If the AvA experience has improved from the time of the name change, I'll give it a try again.
[/b]
That's good to hear!  Actually, maybe 20 or 30 minutes after you left the Allies seemed to have gotten things in hand, upping from further back, avoiding turnfights, sticking together - tactics which reflected real-world experience against the Japanese (as did the slaughter of the Spit 5s in traditional dogfighting, btw!).  Saw some good P-40 flying there, too (including Nifty, who had a number of Oldman scalps tied to his radio antenna).

When do most of the regulars go now?

Prime time is usually from about 9 to 11:30 pm, eastern time, on weeknights, ending later on weekends.

- oldman

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2006, 10:35:12 AM »
Thanks Oldman...

I bopped in last night for an hour or so, and absolutely find there's a much higher fight-to-flight time ratio in AvA than anywhere else.

It's also humbling to realise that I hadnt improved as much this year as I thought I had.....:lol
There are a lot of good sticks around, and I'll learn a lot flying against them.

Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2006, 11:29:56 AM »
I admit I vulched a field *flogs self with wet noodle.

I got on late with no clue of what was going on and a new throttle that was confusing me.  I wouldn't mind a few more squad nights in there as the fightertown map has whetted my appetite for some good old fashioned 1 v 1 flying.  I'm nowhere near the pilot of you older guys but I'm learning constantly.  

I'll try to be in more often
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Kongkyuk

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2006, 09:23:42 PM »
Boy, it sounds like I've been missing out on alot of fun:(
I've been so busy lately, I can only up one or two sorties in the am.

Can't wait to get back in the mix in the prime time   :t

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2006, 10:14:14 PM »
Wow… don’t peek in here for a couple days and this thread is still going. :)

Oldman, Storch, thanks for the comments. Eagler no worries. I did not take your comments negatively.

I was sorry to hear my squadies (or some of them) had a frustrating time. Wish I could have been there. The AVA is my choice of places to fly. I will take it over the MA any day of the week, but since most of my squad enjoys the MA I prefer to fly with them. Ya Dicho you don’t want to vulch in the AVA. One of the first things I told sondog when he was flying in there. :) He seems to enjoy it more than the MA also, which surprises me when ever I think about it. Simaril it is full of excellent sticks. If we are ever in the MA and you want to move to the AVA speak up. I will go with you guys. :) I don’t agree with a lot of what these guys say, but nor do they with me. I stay out of the garbage tossed on 200 and roll my eyes that fights that go on, but still enjoy flying in there. You can learn a lot and most will take the time out to help you out. I really enjoy going against storch in my P38 and he in the 109. It is rare, but always a learning experience for me. So many good sticks…:)

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2006, 10:23:22 PM »
My apologies to the regs in AVA for the vulch attempts..

Just fill me in on the what's cool whats not and I'm game.. I had a shot at some dude landing a wounded bird tonight and let him go.  Got my tail handed to me all over the place in FT and AVA but I attribute that to the strange phenomenon that when I rock climb before I fly I fly HORRIBLY..

She devils says it's because I spend two hours teaching my muscles to pull HARD and then I try to be gentle.  Dunno.. she may be on to something.  

Honestly I'd prefer off Squad nights either AVA or Dueling..
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

storch

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2006, 10:31:48 PM »
daddog, initially I was taken aback by some of the commentary because it seemed to me the mongrels were giving as good as they got, sondog is an absolute terror I didn't score on him or he on me but every time I saw a spectacular kill by the allies, when the I asked "who killed you"? the answer was sondog.  the only reason I stopped in on friday was because you guys were going to be on, I knew there would be fights.  I guess it goes to show that if everyone is playing to the best of one's ability there is plenty of frustration to go around.  this game reminds me of playing golf way too much.  

:D

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2006, 10:42:28 PM »
me too Storch..

In another post a month or so ago I compared it to golf.  Are you really playing against the other guy or are you playing against your own skill set?

Same as golf.. essentially it's 95% menta 2% physical and 3% psychological IMHO.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2006, 10:44:35 PM »
But golf is stupid.:huh

storch

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2006, 10:50:10 PM »
just as in golf I'm playing against myself but also against other players, just as in golf I don't play "mulligan", just as in golf......oh no I didn't just toss another damn putter into the water hazard did I?  and yet .... it's fun in a frustrating sort of way. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

:D

storch

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2006, 10:50:43 PM »
oh like this is high brow entertainment

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2006, 10:56:43 PM »
Originally posted by storch
oh like this is high brow entertainment

It beats "Dancing With the Stars".

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2006, 11:02:55 PM »
Originally posted by Dichotomy
... I spend two hours teaching my muscles to pull HARD and then I try to be gentle...

What ya pullin'?

:p
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2006, 11:27:49 PM »
Originally posted by KONG1
What ya pullin'?

:p

LOL!