Author Topic: An observation.  (Read 336 times)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
An observation.
« on: May 31, 2001, 09:19:00 AM »
 It is curious how many people ardently proclaim superiority of the future projects, ni this case flight sims like WW2OL and Il2 over which they have no control and no direct knowlege.
 The past experience definitely does not support such confidence - most similar projects ended in fiasco, like B17-2 and most other businesses.
 It is not really a big deal - just wait and see quietly  a few months (allegedely), but no - people have to proclaim how the news thing is going to be much better then the working and proven one, snd so on.

I wonder, if the psychological complex responsible for that is the same one or related to that responcible for religious beliefs? There are lot of similarities.

miko

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
An observation.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2001, 09:27:00 AM »
the grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side .... until you get there  

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
An observation.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2001, 09:27:00 AM »
Does anyone remember battlecruiser 3000?

------------------
Pugg666 XO
Braunco Mustangs

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
An observation.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »
Heya Pugg.  

There's a new version of Battlecruiser out soon isn't there? Some kind of persistent universe job, I think.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
An observation.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2001, 11:28:00 AM »
 CC Miko. I agree 100 %. In my case I felt AH could not have been worse than AW so my optimism had a solid foundation to begiun with.
 Many folks also confuse box games with being in competition with online games. Even if they are the same genre there is no comparing offline games, with 16/32 player modes, with any MMPOG like AH or WB's.

Also, IMO, a number of recent departures are hoping that a 1940 time frame will put them in the "properly modelled" and finally the "truly superior" plane over in that game/sim "elsewhere."  Well   I think we may see a lot come back after they get to try it for for themselve in a week or two. When they finally see, what it is that they've been imagining for a year or more, as it really is. The rest will come back when "elsewhere" finally gets around to the 1942-1943 time frame  

-Westy

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
An observation.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2001, 01:34:00 PM »
There is a commonality at first: Both are initially based in blind faith on the unseen.  The differences arise when one of the two fails to move on past the blind faith stage.

What's even more amazing is to see the same people fall for the same lines over and over and over again.  From "CK is going to be so much better" to "TAS is going to be so much better" to "Screaming Eagles over Europe is going to be so much better".  

Why do software companies lie to us so much?  Because we make it so easy for them.

AKDejaVu

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
An observation.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2001, 02:29:00 PM »
 With WW2 online its a bit different i think. Its the first of its kind "kinda" at least the first on such a massive scale. Unless it totally sucks i think it will do ok. There are enough people out there who are attracted to the idea in itself.
  Wether it can hold the interest of the hardcore flight sim addict remains to be seen. Im doubtfull myself. And the rest of it is secondary to me. If the air war sucks I am not interested in the rest.

I really dont think HTC is in any danger.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
An observation.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2001, 12:47:00 PM »
 Now, consider this - so many people are willing to believe in something contrary to their own previous experience in the area where they know a lot - in this case flight sims.

So no wonder that when a politician talks about something most of them/us know absolutely nothing (or worse then nothing) about - like economics, sociology or ecology, they are willing to believe it and promote it.

Incidentally, I do not believe that either politicians or software developers (most of them anyway) are lying. They are as much victims of their own wishfull thinking. It is just that their products/policies turn out to suck, that their statements can be recalled as lies. That is not really fair in most cases.

miko

SeaWulfe

An observation.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »
Miko, it's that words can be construed into whatever context the reader wishes to take them into.

I'm pessimistic about every single game on the horizon.

I was very pessimistic about AH, even though HT and crew had proven themselves before in WB (and I had a lot of fun there).

AH turned out to be very good, but it had very little to no hype surrounding it. They just threw up a web page, the beta began and well... here we are 2 1/2 years later.
-SW