Author Topic: Endangered Species and Such...  (Read 286 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Endangered Species and Such...
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:02:29 PM »
I was thinking today...  Is it really ethical for us to say "we need to stop global warming, or deforestation, or whatever, because all these species are going extinct?"

Why are we supposed to save all the other species?  Who are we to say that these species HAVE to remain on the planet now, when countless others have passed on long before we got here?

Global warming, for example, is a catastrophe for certain species, sure.  But it's also an opportunity for many others.  In much the same way, so is extinction.  A catastrophe for the extinct, an opportunity for everything else.

We're just animals, right?  Are we so presumptious to believe that we are the only animal to ever completely alter an ecosystem?  Or that it is somehow our duty to ensure that the status quo of life forms on this planet at this exact time exists forever?  That's not the way things have ever worked.  Why is it so incredibly important that we live in a time capsule now?

I mean, don't get me wrong - I don't advocate the ruthless slaughter of endangered species just because they'd make a nice hat...  I'm just saying we have to accept that species will go extinct in large part due to changes in their environment that they cannot adapt to.  Other species will adapt through evolution and natural selection and such and make it and go on to become new species.

It's how it's always worked, for millions of years before us.

Of course, I like the animals we have here now :) I'm not in any hurry to see them depart...  But this was something to mull over today and I think it's an interesting thought.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 10:46:17 PM »
It might be my brains, but I can't think of any definite, absolute criteria for what should survive, and what shouldn't..  Applying human arbitrary to nature is probably what most contradicts common sense, so that not disturbing nature seems the most natural thing to do.

I don't think one set of atoms is more or less "important" than the next.  The only real reason to do anything (e.g. razing the amazon) is purpose, and that's what I think is most debatable, with regards to what should or shouldn't survive mankind.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 11:10:45 PM »
Again. Carlin puts it best

Language warning

The Planet is Fine

The Planet is Fine Part 2
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 11:56:01 PM »
Good stuff, Drediock, thanks :D
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 12:05:40 AM »
all this talk of animals ... I feel like lamb chops all of a sudden

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 12:28:05 AM »
interesting point vudak, i think moot sums me up pretty well on this one.

i would add, humans have effectively stopped 'natural' selection within the human race. all the other populants of our planet still evolve naturally, and therefore we should do nothing out of our way to tamper with extinction or survival of other spieces.

the real problem i can see is that having stopped natural selection in humans(ie: med care, hospitals, fake limbs, wellfare money etc etc.), we not only devolve our own gene pool, but hold a massively unfair survival advantage over all other animals. not only that, but we also contribute to the destruction of the others spieces environment one hundred times more than any other lifeform or natural disaster.

if the world should overheat to such an extent, my prediction for the second last to go will be us humans, with the final land based survivor being cockroahes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 12:31:04 AM by B@tfinkV »
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 06:05:47 AM »
Originally posted by xrtoronto
all this talk of animals ... I feel like lamb chops all of a sudden

Plenty of sheep around still :D

However a large scale destruction of various species can screw up the balance and give some troubles.
Even a large scale minimizing of various species (fish for instance or trees) can have long term effects which do effect human economy very quickly.

So, there is something to look into.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 06:40:42 AM »
Originally posted by Angus
Plenty of sheep around still :D

However a large scale destruction of various species can screw up the balance and give some troubles.
Even a large scale minimizing of various species (fish for instance or trees) can have long term effects which do effect human economy very quickly.

So, there is something to look into.

Oh, obviously, Angus...  One of the animals that might end up going extinct due in part to our meddlings is us ;)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 07:29:23 AM »
Not if I am boss ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 09:42:22 AM »
This BBS should have a "Bong Forum" for threads like this.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 10:54:12 AM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
This BBS should have a "Bong Forum" for threads like this.

:rolleyes:

I can't be suprised that this thread got so little attention, and that the most thought came from the Europeans on this one (well, and Carlin).

After all, to participate in it, one would have to have some knowledge about Evolution and some acceptance of it...  Two things many on this BBS clearly don't.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group