Author Topic: Royal Society tells Exxon: stop funding climate change denial  (Read 3280 times)

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
Royal Society tells Exxon: stop funding climate change denial
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2006, 02:32:30 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
here in America we all heard that second hand smoke was worse for you than actualy smoking the cig.   they even had commercials on it.   America led the way in crucifying the tobaco companies.

Everyone heard carl nut job sagan say that lighting kuwaits oil fields would cause a nuclear winter.

If we let your scientists have total and uncontested say.. they will run amuck.

If the oil company scientists are wrong then simply show the evidence.

if the evidence is compelling enough then people will not listen to them.

What is the problem?  You got something against free speach?   If your scientists are right and can show us some tangible proof and some clear cut methods to make a real difference.... how could anyone dissagree?

You act as tho the proof is allready there..  you strangely wonder how people can see it and not be alarmed..

might I suggest that the "proof" is conjecture and that not enough is known yet for all of us to let the scientists change our way of life?

if there is fault it is that your side is not getting their point across with enough irrefuteable evidence.

lazs

The tobacco companies created their own problems.

Carl Sagan was an astronomer and astrobiologist, not a climatologist.

Evidence? What about Siegfried Frederick Singer?

I have nothing against free speech, just the presentation of opinion as fact.
AKHoopy Arabian Knights
google koan: "Your assumptions about the lives of others are in direct relation to your naïve pomposity."

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2006, 02:45:07 PM »
Originally posted by AKH
The tobacco companies created their own problems.

Carl Sagan was an astronomer and astrobiologist, not a climatologist.

Evidence? What about Siegfried Frederick Singer?

I have nothing against free speech, just the presentation of opinion as fact.

Will you not agree that anyone predictng climatological disaster based on man made global warming is stating an opinion?

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2006, 02:56:24 PM »
Policy-makers and the media, particularly in the United States, frequently assert that climate science is highly uncertain. Some have used this as an argument against adopting strong measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. For example, while discussing a major U.S. Environmental Protection Agency report on the risks of climate change, then-EPA administrator Christine Whitman argued, "As [the report] went through review, there was less consensus on the science and conclusions on climate change" (1). Some corporations whose revenues might be adversely affected by controls on carbon dioxide emissions have also alleged major uncertainties in the science (2). Such statements suggest that there might be substantive disagreement in the scientific community about the reality of anthropogenic climate change. This is not the case.

The scientific consensus is clearly expressed in the reports of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Created in 1988 by the World Meteorological Organization and the United Nations Environmental Programme, IPCC's purpose is to evaluate the state of climate science as a basis for informed policy action, primarily on the basis of peer-reviewed and published scientific literature (3). In its most recent assessment, IPCC states unequivocally that the consensus of scientific opinion is that Earth's climate is being affected by human activities: "Human activities ... are modifying the concentration of atmospheric constituents ... that absorb or scatter radiant energy. ... [M]ost of the observed warming over the last 50 years is likely to have been due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations" [p. 21 in (4)].

Source
AKHoopy Arabian Knights
google koan: "Your assumptions about the lives of others are in direct relation to your naïve pomposity."

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2006, 02:59:33 PM »
AKH,

:aok

hap

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2006, 03:11:29 PM »
global warming? we have bigger things to worry about, just watched a show about yellowstone "volcano" blowing up, it would make global warming look like a walk in the park, and what about that 1 mile wide meteor that might hit the earth and wipe out all life on earth?

you people need to worry about whats important,........ this just in , al qaeda says they will blow up NYC with a nuke they smuggled in from mexico.  put that in your worry hat.
:noid

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2006, 03:44:18 PM »
I'll take that as an opinion is ok so long as you agree with it. I think it was once a scientific consensus that the world was flat.

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2006, 03:54:31 PM »
The notion of a flat Earth refers to the idea that the inhabited surface of Earth is flat, rather than curved. It is believed to have been prevalent up to and including early Classical Antiquity, and is evidenced in early Greek maps like those of Anaximander and Hecataeus. The first person known to have advocated a spherical shape of the Earth is Pythagoras (6th century BC).

By the time of Pliny the Elder (1st century) at the latest, however, the Earth's spherical shape was generally acknowledged among the learned in the western world. At that time Ptolemy derived his maps from a curved globe and developed the system of latitude and longitude (see clime). His writings remained the basis of European astronomy throughout the Middle Ages, although Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages (ca. 3rd to 7th centuries) saw occasional arguments in favour of a flat Earth from a few Christian authors, usually on theological grounds.

The modern misconception that people of the Middle Ages believed that the Earth was flat first entered the popular imagination in the nineteenth century.
AKHoopy Arabian Knights

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2006, 04:13:14 PM »
Actually, Christian authors were among the first to claim the earth round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isidore_of_Seville

What we don't have is agreement that there is a scientific consensus that man induced glaobal warming is occuring or what will be the results if it is.

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2006, 04:25:39 PM »
Actually, Christian authors were among the first to claim the earth round.

Opinion as fact, again.

From Late Antiquity, and thus from the beginnings of Christian theology, knowledge of the sphericity of the Earth had become widespread.
AKHoopy Arabian Knights

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »
I stated someone else's "fact" as did you. It is my opinion that what I linked is factual. Regardless as to who believed the earth flat there have been many instances in which there was a "scientific consensus" that was later proven faulty. Of course it is your opinion that there is a consensus, not mine.

Do you believe man induced global warming is present and that it will have disasterous results or not?

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2006, 04:44:55 PM »
Who's the flat-earther here, me or you?
AKHoopy Arabian Knights

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2006, 05:00:45 PM »
Originally posted by AKH
Who's the flat-earther here, me or you?

I'm not sure what you believe but I think the jury is still out on whether we should attempt to stop global warming. I know I'm certainly not persuaded enough to give anyone power over my life based on their beliefs.

This guy makes sense to me: http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg15n2g.html

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2006, 05:14:02 PM »
"In November 2004, climate change skeptic Richard Lindzen was quoted saying he'd be willing to bet that the earth's climate will be cooler in 20 years than it is today. When British climate researcher James Annan contacted him, however, Lindzen would only agree to take the bet if Annan offered a 50-to-1 payout."
AKHoopy Arabian Knights

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2006, 05:17:47 PM »
Originally posted by AKH
"In November 2004, climate change skeptic Richard Lindzen was quoted saying he'd be willing to bet that the earth's climate will be cooler in 20 years than it is today. When British climate researcher James Annan contacted him, however, Lindzen would only agree to take the bet if Annan offered a 50-to-1 payout."

I take it that Annan wasn't rooted enough in his faith to offer those odds?

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2006, 05:28:28 PM »
"There isn't much money in climate science and I'm still looking for that gold watch at retirement," Annan says. "A pay-off would be a nice top-up to my pension."

I'm sure he doesn't charge energy companies £2,500 a day for consultancy work, testify before a Senate committee on a trip funded by Western Fuels, or write speeches (your link) paid for by OPEC, either.
AKHoopy Arabian Knights