Author Topic: What kind of WW2 style piston engined fighter could be built circa 2001?  (Read 841 times)

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
What kind of WW2 style piston engined fighter could be built circa 2001?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2001, 07:34:00 PM »
They have a wierd looking turboprop propellor.  It looks like little blades on the outside of jet engine.

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2001, 07:38:00 PM »

XP-72 SuperBolt.  28 cylinder Pratt & Whitney Wasp Major radial engine generating 3,500 HP with a top speed somewhere above 500 MPH.  2 3 bladed contra-rotating props.  Armament of either 6 .50 cal or 4 37mm cannon.  :D

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2001, 09:11:00 PM »
Ahem,

For what it's worth. The 500 MPH mark is the current holy grail at reno for interested unlimited warbird owners / pilots. This is with a HIGHLY modified tuned to the gills mustang. Last I heard Rare Bear wasn't going for it. As far as I know it hasn't been done yet in level flight over a marked course.

As another said earlier, given te limitations of propellers and airframe drag performance in 2001 won't be much better than in WW2 particularly when you figure the "stuff" you need to actually fight with instead of just go fast around a race course.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2001, 09:27:00 PM »
Remember that those Reno racers are still using WWII technology.  There are a lot of good people working on those engines but they don't have the budgets to do REAL development.  It's still souped up surplus war equipment.  There is a lot of room for improvment if they could start with a blank sheet of paper and a few billions dollars.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2001, 12:56:00 AM »
eaglec wrote:

I know your goal santa.
He wanna make FW190A8 put into it new engine and then he will flame HT that A8 FM is crap because he have own A8 and this one flying better

<Stops working on "Project 1">
<thinks>
Damn.
Orel knows. He's also figured out why I'm always low on cash.
</thinks>

That's ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE orel. I'd never even conceive such an idea   :D

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: StSanta ]

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2001, 07:16:00 AM »
well, I'm damned sure it would be a 7000 perk in AH, whatever it is  :D

Didnt the british work in a piston engine called "Crecy" during WWII?. IIRC that little toejamty thing had an output of 3500hp in an engine the size and weight of a merlin   :eek:

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2001, 07:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B:
........then be afraid to use it in combat because it might get shot down.
J_A_B

:confused:

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
Who in his right mind would go for a complicated and heavy piston engine anyway when turboprops of literally any power output required are available? No hussle with multistage turbos - full power available all the time. Twin engines for survivability and to accomodate nose mounted gatling and Bob's your uncle - an ultimate prop driven fighter with quite possible thrust/weight >1...  ;)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2001, 02:45:00 PM »
I can't tell you how many times I've wondered that, too.  In an age of composites, computer/robotic equipment, CAD and such, you'd think we'd all be flying around in modern day P-51s and such.  I know I sit back, watch the old planes on the WINGS channel and think "I wonder if they'd sell me one?".

Problem is, far and wide, cost and liability.  Sure, P-51s are nice, but go check out how expensive it is to insure something as lowly as a Cessna.

I still daydream and visit sites like www.viper-aircraft.com  and others.  I'd love to own a warbird someday, but the cost to FLY and cost to MAINTAIN/Service are huge.

But, in my daydreams, I'm a gazillionaire, arent you?   :D

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »
Dago Red lost an engine last year after the final race at Reno, as Skip Holm prepared to go for 500 MPH, after clocking 489 MPH earlier in the week. While the Reno unlimited class planes are W.W.II based, they are heavily modified. Only most of the very basic structure remains, the rest is either replaced or so heavily modified it is barely recognizeable. Of course, due to the events of 11 September, this year's Reno races were canceled because no VFR flights were allowed.

There are several factors restricting the piston engine prop driven planes. Horsepower really isn't one of them. Most of it is due to propellers. The technology of prop driven piston engine powered planes pretty well topped out during the war. The planes that won the trophy for the next few years were mostly P-39's with P-38 engines, and the P-39 held most records for years.

Horsepower isn't much of a problem for radial powered planes, but the radial engine creates a great deal of drag because of size and cooling needs. The Republic engineers had turned up the boost on the P-47 engine enough to make 3500 horsepower back in 1943, and run it that way for 24 hours straight.

It isn't a big problem for some inline Vee engines either. When I was working in tractor pulling, we had Allison engines making over 3000 horsepower at 60" of manifold pressure, and running with only oil and spark plug changes for an entire season. We did this with only the built in crankdriven centrifugal supercharger, and not the turbochargers like the P-38 used (the P-38 was the only Allison powered plane to use turbochargers, and that is why it ran well at high altitudes). Now I'm not as sure about the Merlin engines, we never ran them, they seemed to be less durable to me. I have no experience with the Griffon. There are still a few tractors using the Allison engine, and they are competitive, which tells me they are making well over 4000 horsepower.

Being a seriously devoted race engine builder with some Allison experience, I'd say you could get 4500 reliable horspower from an Allison set up like the P-38 installation by using normal techniques like headwork (bigger and better valves, porting and polishing), increasing the compression ratio, and using new technology camshafts. You'd need to replace the carb with fuel injection, and use a newer technology turbocharger too.

The problem is getting a prop to harness the power. You'd need at the very least a counter rotating four blade twin prop setup. Those things are terribly complex and relatively fragile. These are the problems that faced engineers after W.W.II, and caused many problems with prop driven bombers. The complex gear boxes with hollow shafts and reduction ratios just could not take the power. I'm sure that with the advances in metallurgy and engineering gear boxes and hubs could now be built. But they'd be very expensive. Another thing about those gear boxes is that they would be fairly large and heavy, creating weight and drag problems.

I'm not real sure what the rules on those things are at Reno (if I had a real warbird I'd be playing with it and not posting here, besides, I'd say it would be real hard to have a plane you could fly AND race successfully). The planes at Reno rely a great deal on donations and sponsors to keep them running, and there is very little to be won in the way of money. The only exposure a sponsor gets is at the race, and on a rare cable TV clip. Except possibly some aircraft magazines. Money is very short, so development is limited.

The critical Mach on most of the original airframes was between .67 and .80, so aerodynamics may not be a huge factor, but it does contribute. Several could be controllable in a dive approaching 600 MPH, so the basic airframes could likely get the job done. Mostly it is a matter of drag. One sure sign of how big a factor drag is would be that several of these planes were able to reach speeds of around 450 MPH in level flight at critical altitude.

Renegade Savage

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Renegade Savage ]
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »
By the way, last year at the PRI show there was a beautiful V 12 engine designed for aircraft and marine use on display. It was normally aspirated and fuel injected, and made over 2000 horspower. If it is there again this year, I'm going to get some information on it. The damned thing was sexy. Not as sexy as the Allsions I saw on a pulling tractor this Spring, but it was nice.

Renegade Savage
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2001, 03:44:00 PM »
Something else I saw when I read back through this thread. There was a prop driven plane in development at one time that had two counter rotating props and was very fast. It had the reliability problems I mentioned above, although it was very fast. It did have a couple of other serious problems. Evidently the props exceeded the speed of sound, and they were extremely noisy. They were so noisy that they had trouble measuring the noise in decibels at the time. The other problem was that the sound of the plane (due to the props and engine) made people physically ill, in fact violently ill. Ground crew reported that they got sick enough to suffer the dreaded "dry heaves" for quite some time. The cockpit noise was truly deafening, the pilots also got sick and temporarily deaf, and were severely hampered by the noise. Communication was nearly impossible. Sounds like fun.

Renegade Savage

SaVaGe

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2001, 04:11:00 PM »
Savage,

Your probably thinking of the Falconer(sp?) V-12.  I beleive it was devoloped for the thunder mustang.  

Try this link for information on each. http://www.thundermustang.com/

Grimm

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2001, 09:33:00 PM »
Grimm,
I've seen the Falconer, which is basically 1 and 1/2 400 CID small block Chevy engines. The one I saw last year is different. It made over 2000 horsepower normally aspirated. I hope they'll be back with it this year, I'll be there in three weeks, for my favorite weekend trip of the year.

Renegade Savage

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2001, 09:49:00 PM »
This thread got me thinking about a few things.

I figure top speed at altitudes over 20K could approach 550 MPH, maybe more, due to increased horsepower, better props, reduced weight, and lower drag.

The increase in climb rate, turn rate, ceiling, and payload could be sizeable too.

In all honesty, other than a toy (albeit a real nice toy), it wouldn't be real useful. It would probably still be too slow and too vulnerable. Low altitude speed would probably still be limited to just over 500 MPH, and it would still be vulnerable to heat seeking and radar guided weapons. Having enough fuel to be able to loiter would likely make it too have and large to be fast or effective.

Renegade Savage

SaVaGe