Author Topic: For those following the WWIIO saga...  (Read 893 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
For those following the WWIIO saga...
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2005, 10:32:12 PM »
Originally posted by Corwin

Sadly, we do have a 1st Amendment and it does, shockingly, apply even in the hallowed halls of online gaming.

It doesn't.   MMOs aren't a public forum but private domain and the game operators have the right to censor what is said.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2005, 11:03:46 PM »
WBs is still going?  Dont ever hear anything about that sim anymore.....

I remember cabby and the 44th whateverthehelltheirnamewas.. ..danged good virtual squad back in the day.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2005, 11:09:33 PM »
I don't know anyone at WWIIonline, and never tried that game. If they go tits up, I won't cry.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2005, 12:22:13 AM »
For WWIIOL it's good in long run that Mo and Hatch were ousted.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2005, 01:07:41 AM »
Holy Crap...this thread was started back in 2001.

Now Im feeling a bit tooled......
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2005, 01:25:42 AM »
Originally posted by Staga
For WWIIOL it's good in long run that Mo and Hatch were ousted.

Mo was a real prettythang to customers with complaints, maybe customer service will be better now.

I don't play Aces High anymore. It's not that I don't like Aces High, I think it's a great game that is managed very well. The customer service is second to none and the gameplay is top notch. The reason I don't play anymore is that I have drifted away from the flight sim and can't afford 2 games.

WW2online has many issues, one being customer service and an arrogance to issues posted by customers. Gameplay has some issues also, and the flight model could use some work.What also hurts ww2online is that it is the same map over and over. There is no eastern front, no pacific theater, etc. It gets a little boring playing the same map over and over. The game has been around five years and it is still in Belgium.

The concept of the game is fantastic, and although CRS really pisses me off at times, I would hate to see the game go belly up, cause there is no other game like it. Even with all the gameplay issues, you can find yourself totally immersed. I hoped that CRS would fix alot of the issues and the game would be what everyone had envisioned. I still hope it succeeds.

lol, they hate when I bring up Aces High on their boards, I will post how Aces High does a game feature and suggest CRS could do it(like kill shooter) and I get roasted:D

I wish they had the same customer service as AH. Where else can you pick up the phone, call, and actually have the owner answer the phone and help you?

Again, I would hate to see the concept die, they had a great idea, and I hope they succeed.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline MX555

• Zinc Member
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2005, 03:03:44 AM »
I played WW2OL for 4 years, sometimes till sun rise.  What killed the games was what they call "AO" or attack objectives.  Where a few players in the game would place one of these on a town and you could not caputure any other town but that one.  So you had to it there way and no other.  

So when some "one hand typing" said you have to attack town X  I said C YA.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2005, 03:57:48 AM »
Originally posted by MX555
I played WW2OL for 4 years, sometimes till sun rise.  What killed the games was what they call "AO" or attack objectives.  Where a few players in the game would place one of these on a town and you could not caputure any other town but that one.  So you had to it there way and no other.  

So when some "one hand typing" said you have to attack town X  I said C YA.

I like the AO, I don't like it's implementation. The moling was rediculous, so they had to do something. It gives fair warning that radios will be coming up. If you can get 3 people to ".attack ciney", then an AO should be placed on Ciney. If no radios are captured within 20 minutes(20 min after radios are up), then the AO should be removed and another AO cannot be placed for 20 minutes.

At times there will be only 2 AO's, and only "high command" can place them, it sucks. Let the players call the shots, not the HC. They are making the game HC friendly instead of squad friendly. Why brag about having this huge virtual world and force all the action to a small part of it?

I agree, and kind of arrogant of them, "you will pay $15 a month, and we will tell you where and how to play" kinda makes you wanna flip em the bird
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2005, 05:57:44 AM »
I was on the beta team for a while at WWIIOL. Had lunch at the bar/restaurant across the street, then went over to CRS for intro , etc. met Gryf and some of the early guys there. Good folks. I couldn`t beleive it was released to the public as it was at the time. It was certainly not ready. I`m assuming it was an effort to make ends meet and I can understand that if that was the reason. Like I say , I don`t know for sure. For me it was like..... "Huh? You got to be kidding me". I bailed as things seemed mired 6ft deep in the mud and went no place for quite a while. I sure hate to see the guys that put so much effort into it lose their jobs. I think everyone here can agree on that.
  Coming to the AH board and talking smack is , I`m sure, not what most of the guys involved would want.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2005, 08:35:44 AM »
Originally posted by Westy

CRS was larger than HTC from day one.  Half the original '99 crew were laid off or left at one point or another.  I added and X in front of those I know have left or were let go and ?'s marks for those I think were also...

A good software business model runs lean and mean, low overhead, like AH. It appears WW2 online started off on the wrong foot by being way top heavy. Sorry to hear of the layoffs, but usually something good will happen to those laid off as new opportunities arise.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2005, 12:13:03 PM »
"Now Im feeling a bit tooled......"

Guys it's not a troll. IMO these recent layoffs were just an extension to this topic in spite of the time that had passed.  IMO it was better than starting a new discussion.

Vulcan, I fell exactly the way you do. However WWIIO was no longer filling the need till TOD.
 I canned my WWIIO account about 4 months ago.  With the assinine, heavily restrivtive direction they were taking the game (which stilll sucks donkey dong as far as performance and unfixed bugs goes)  and thier inability to restrain DocDoom from spewing his acidic, cantankerous responses at the players I gave them my virtual "finger" by cancelling my sub.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2005, 03:19:49 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Coming to the AH board and talking smack is , I`m sure, not what most of the guys involved would want.

Open and honest discussions are not always encouraged on the WW2OL bbs's.

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2005, 09:39:47 PM »
I remember playing WW2OL after the boxed version came out.  It was a pretty decent tank battle sim!  The Hawk 75, Spit I, and 109E, Stuka and a Boston (?) bomber were the planes available while I played.  I was dissapointed by the flight model and the overall use of planes in the game.  Good tank battle sim though, I had fun with the tanks.   One feature I wish AH would include is an offline furball capability like WB has (or had).

Sorry to hear about anyone losing a job they wanted.

Regards,

Malta

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2005, 09:57:46 PM »
If that game ever gets up to speed I might give it a try. Not really a WWII dude though. Now if there was a Vietnam online I'd be all over it.

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2005, 05:33:14 AM »
I would like to see MO, Caligula and some other guys from CRS joining the HTC team.

And I would like to see people from WB, WWIIOnline and AH playing in one arena .....   in AHIII Unlimited  :)