Author Topic: landing  (Read 532 times)

Offline flyboy97

• Zinc Member
landing
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:50:04 AM »
every time I land my engins hits the ground its making me because i cant take of agen:mad
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:53:24 AM by flyboy97 »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
landing
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 12:55:58 PM »
On the off chance that you're NOT joking or trolling, I'll reply.

Use your gear.

If you ARE using your gear, you need to land more gently. If you slam it into the ground you're going to kill your prop. It's best to line up past the runway, slow down to 120 bare minimum (some planes land better at much slower speeds). Use flaps, come in, and just as you're about to touch down, cut throttle and nose up a bit. Hopefully you will stall out and you'll settle onto the ground. Then use your wheel brakes to stop.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
landing
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 01:44:45 PM »
When you land, your throttle controls nose-horizon position and your stick controls speed.

If that makes no sense to you, I can show you sometime... you should land very gently this way (and it is also how real aircraft land, I might add).
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
landing
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 05:11:25 AM »
Flyboy, next time you see me in TA, ask me about landing and ill show you.

Planes that are easy to land (and i recommend practicing in those first) are teh P38, the Hurricane Mk2 or the FM2.

The most important thing for landing is SLOW and SHALLOW. Touchdown speed just above stall speed, for most planes thats 90-110 mph.

Line up on the runway from far enough out, that gives you room to make corrections of speed and altitude. Get to about 1000 feet above ground (check for the filed altitude on the map!) and throttle to idle to slow down. As soon as youre below 200 mph, drop your gear (G) and flaps (Q). That will help you slow down further and the flaps also add lift and help keeping your nose high on landing.

Dont aim for the runway. If you do, youre going to hit it, hard :). Aim for the far end of the runway. Make sure your speed is below 120 mph and your descent rate is below 1000 feet/min (on the gauge the needle should be between 0 and -1). Keep your nose high with the Joystick and control your descent rate with the throttle (add a little if youre too slow/drop too fast). Just before your wheels touch the ground, add a little throttle to "flare".

When youre down, let the plane roll for a bit and slow down, then lock the tailwheel and use wheelbrakes (spacebar) to come to a stop.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
landing
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 11:06:59 PM »
I've found that the stuka is a sinch to land too, lots of flaps, fixed landing gear and big wingspan

Try that.

It's hard to go too fast in a Stuka too :lol
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"