Author Topic: F4u-ic  (Read 873 times)

Offline WTC

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
F4u-ic
« on: September 21, 2006, 01:04:03 PM »
Anybody got any advice or prolly a website on how i can shake someone on my 6 a little beter?

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
F4u-ic
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 05:56:22 PM »
yer, dont let them get there in the first place... Seriously.

Its not the on your 6 part which is dangerous. its the on your six and at the same speed as you which is the dagerous bit. Speed differential is the key here. Usually sacrificing speed by skidding (rudder slide) or dropping gear (in the F4-u series) can create a sudden speed differential which can dislodge an unwary attacker.

But your best bet is my 1st bit of advice...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
F4u-ic
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 09:31:45 PM »
Flaps and that giant rudder will help you in a dogfight.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
F4u-ic
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 09:42:23 AM »
"On your 6" is a broad term. As spatula mentioned speed is a big factor...so is range and AOA (angle of Attack). You use the term "shake" which normally means disengage. The faster plane controls the fight so you'll have a tough time evading and building up enough E advantage to actually "extend". The Hog however is a great plane for reversals. It has great roll rate, combat flaps, fantastic rudder and "air brakes"...it also is remarkably good at very low speeds with the flaps hanging out....

There should be plenty of clips around with good reversals. I posted a link to a couple of clips not long ago. The "stalemate" clip has a good reversal(109F vs P38G) vs a good pilot. It occurs after a "merge" where after a few turns I have to take the "run forrest run" approach to air combat...so its on the deck at fairly high speed with the 38 roughly 800 of my six. This is a pretty standard reversal that you can duplicate in any plane but is perfect for the C hog. The reversal is used to initiate a rolling scissors defense which leads to an offensive snapshot...which I of course miss.

Truthfully you need to restate your question here.

"When I get a bad guy 1000 on my 6 whats the most efficient way to get him 300 in front so I can kill him?" I'm not joking here, I'm far from an "ace" but if you listen to vox I'm not joking when I tell a squadie I'm fine and the 38 is right where I want him. You can also here me comment at one point that the 38 driver is good but I should have had him twice already. Now TB is probably a better stick then I am...but that doesnt change the fact that I'm absolutely positive I'm gonna kill him:).

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline WTC

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
F4u-ic
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 01:41:06 PM »
ok can u tell me how to so rolling scissors?

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
F4u-ic
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 02:21:37 PM »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
F4u-ic
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 06:50:26 PM »
1st, go to the TA. As a former trainer I'll tell you the current crew are top notch and your greatest asset....use them. 2nd look at the film from the external view with the "trailers" on so you can see both flight paths. 3rd look at the part (you can fast forward or use the slider bar) specific to the reversal. Use both internal and external views to look at the timing.

If you watch both clips you'll see comments typed in specific to both in plane and out of plane orientation to the bogie as well as comments on both horizontal and vertical seperation. This relative orientation to the bogie is an integral part of basic ACM (air combat manuevering). Both planes are constantly projecting both a directional vector and a "force vector". Most "pilots" gain an decent understanding of direction much quicker then force...basically this is the line "up" thru your cockpit and represents the lift generated by your wings. This is the primary force that controls your turn...your nose will follow your lift vector. In the 1st film you can easily see the effect manipulating the lift vector has on gunnery solution as the nose snaps from out of plane lag to in plane lead right thru the bogie. It's harder to understand that the same manipulation in the 2nd film is "snapping" the plane out of the opponents shot window very dynamically and creating this "twister effect" that you'll see in the rolling scissors.

Most of the "How did he do that??" moves where you think your fine and then the other guy just whips around and saws you in half come from the manipulation of the lift vector thru rudder/airleon control movement...then the elevator controls the application of actual force allowed. It's amazing to see a plane moving 70 mph snap its nose thru a 45 degree arc faster then a plane going 260 can fly....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline WTC

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
F4u-ic
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 10:38:58 AM »
I can't go to the TA because i need to pay first plz go to 8 player room

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
F4u-ic
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »
Originally posted by WTC

Comon now.  Its only $15.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
F4u-ic
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 04:55:31 PM »
Not all folks can afford that much bugs. There have been very long periods of my AH "career" where I could not afford it either.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
F4u-ic
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 06:23:33 PM »
Originally posted by WTC

Sorry, no "official" training in H2H.

But ask around in Free Multiplayer forum... theres lots of good/helpful people in H2H that might help you out.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
F4u-ic
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 02:02:38 AM »
Let em overshoot. If you get in a scissors with most planes in here while in a F4u, you are going too fast. Against slower planes like hurri and zero, avoid getting hit, make em turn a few times and then try to escape. Acceleration isnt all that hot, but after a few turns with either of those with average pilots, you will slowly lose the battle.

~AoM~

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
F4u-ic
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 02:42:33 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Not all folks can afford that much bugs. There have been very long periods of my AH "career" where I could not afford it either.

Well, somehow they can afford a computer and internet access.  I am not saing subscribe for a year, but common.  I don't buy it.