Author Topic: Old UK Airfields  (Read 522 times)

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Old UK Airfields
« on: October 06, 2006, 10:45:29 PM »
I'm heading to the UK in November, and was interested in touring some of the old airfields if any are worth a visit.  I'll be staying in Oxford, and was wondering if there are any good fields to visit that are relatively close.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Old UK Airfields
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 11:02:52 PM »
Get down to Yeovilton, Somerset and check out HMS Heron. A fine museum, some first class aircraft and if you look hard enough, my Grandfathers flight jacket and medals from WW2.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Old UK Airfields
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 12:52:27 AM »
TinmanX, thanks for telling us about your grandfather.  Mine was in England also.

hap

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Old UK Airfields
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 12:59:24 AM »
Sorry for getting off topic but I was wondering, They donate their medals and flight suits and such correct Tinman?  Does the family ever get those possessions returned or are they officially the museum's property?  

Perhaps it's selfish of me, but i'd like to know I could get something such as that returned at some point.  It wouldn't be bad to know it was part of a display showing our history though, a noble cause.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
Old UK Airfields
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 03:13:12 AM »
Originally posted by Stoney74
I'm heading to the UK in November, and was interested in touring some of the old airfields if any are worth a visit.  I'll be staying in Oxford, and was wondering if there are any good fields to visit that are relatively close.

Duxford.  RAF Fighter base, US Fighter base, now has massive active Museum there, what more could you want? :)

I would also visit Old Warden.

Originally posted by nirvana
Sorry for getting off topic but I was wondering, They donate their medals and flight suits and such correct Tinman?  Does the family ever get those possessions returned or are they officially the museum's property?  

Perhaps it's selfish of me, but i'd like to know I could get something such as that returned at some point.  It wouldn't be bad to know it was part of a display showing our history though, a noble cause.

You can either donate or loan.  If it is a large Museum then they probably have a vast collection of airmans logs, medals etc.  If it is something outstanding then it may go on display, if not then it will probably just be put in store somewhere.

You could always loan to a smaller Museum who would value the item more.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Re: Old UK Airfields
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 03:26:52 AM »
Originally posted by Stoney74

History and the UK go hand in hand but not neseccarily in tandum.  My sweeping remarks referes to the fact that there are loads of WWII fields about but the vast majority were returned to the farmers, from whom they were leased.  Not many have been preserved.  Sure, in a field down some leafy lane you'll spot an old "Tower".  A field in the distance may have part of "Taxi" lane.  In the middle of nowhere you'll come across Industrial buildings, small factories and wharehouses.  In the mist of these buildings you'll find the odd nissan hut or massive rusting "bomber hanger".  They are there...old, secretive................wait ing!

Ducksford isn't to far from oxford by car.

Google is your best bet.  Look up old groups  i.e 401st bomber group.  Majority of USAF fields were in East Anglia and the north.  Brits tended to have the south.....BoB.

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Old UK Airfields
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 10:13:20 AM »
Originally posted by nirvana

In this case, my Grandfather left them to the museum in his will. He was one of those WW2 pilots that hung around the museum through retirement answering visitor questions and telling his war tales and he loved the place, wanted a part of himself there perminantly and though the musuem would probably return the items to the family if we asked, I doubt we'll ask.

It's RNAS Heron though, not HMS Heron. my bad
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Old UK Airfields
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 09:08:27 PM »
Alright thanks.

Have fun Stoney!
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
Old UK Airfields
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 03:03:34 PM »
Originally posted by TinmanX
It's RNAS Heron though, not HMS Heron. my bad

Double bad  :D You should have stuck with your first guess HMS Heron is correct also known as Royal Naval Air Station (RNAS) Yeovilton.  HMS Seahawk is RNAS Culdrose (Cornwall) and RNAS Prestwick (Nr Glasgow) is HMS Gannet.

On the original question you have a wealth of museums in the area - As mentioned, Duxford is pick of the crop.  Yeovilton is interesting as its on an active base so you get to see some interesting things flying in and out as a bonus, its a fair drive though.  How close to Oxford would you like to stay?

Gatso
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 03:08:12 PM by gatso »

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
Old UK Airfields
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 04:17:02 PM »
i wish i could visit my local RAF hornchurch..... but its a landfill site  now :cry
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Old UK Airfields
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 01:48:34 AM »
Thanks for the help gents.  Looking forward to the visit.  

Old Speckled Hen on tap!