Author Topic: poor gunnery - any tips  (Read 2599 times)

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 12:57:32 PM »
Well ack np with them off :) that's good .

I got a two kill sortie with them off , the hog I killed first was really hard to hit , but he stayed still till I wacked him good lmao .

So at least for two weeks they gonna stay off , Lazerr ain't no newbie at this stuff , I gonna listen close :aok
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 01:44:34 PM »
Tends to be easier with nose mounted guns too, I don't fire over 400 out, unless Im tryin to save someone.

Your aim can be the thing that gets you out of a big mess, and back home. :)

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 02:29:10 PM »
I am weak :(  I turned them back on after almost losing the kill on Wingzero in his Niki .

I guess I am using it to adjust my aim alot more than I thought . LYNX says it's harder in cannon planes , donno but I did alot better with them on again .

Yep weak is me :(
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 02:51:52 PM »
actually i much prefer having tracers on. i know a lot of guys say to take em off, but i get a great hit % still (been around 20% or over for the past few tours)

it's all personal preference. the reason lots of guys say not to use tracers is because a lot of people try to walk their shots onto a target. if you dont walk your shots, and shoot well, dont take tracers off, they can really help when trying to judge lead at different speeds and angles.

fire a few guns as tracking shots to make sure that you're aiming right, and if you hit open up with all of your guns, if not adjust aim and repeat the process. and never fire constantly, fire in bursts:aok

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 05:50:21 PM »
Originally posted by airspro
Quit shooting so far away . That distance is 1200 feet or 4 football fields away , actually when it just turns 400d it's 500 yards :)

I almost NEVER shoot till it shows 200d , most guys shoot most of their ammo up and then get close enough to kill the guy when they finally get to 200d , see it over and over again in MA and their "hit" percent shows it also .

I tell people , work for the shot , then the gun shooting is fairly simple .

Side note : yep go tell me how u can hit from bah , bah , I can too but to really get good solid kills , you got to be close or closer :)

AH gunnery requires the basic principals of shooting; sight alignment, sight picture. Square those away and you can almost snipe. Once you know which part of the sight to use it get easier. Using .target I calibrated the P51B sight like so: 800 using the lower box line of the P51 sight, 400 / 600 center dot, 200 just above center dot.

I like the option to shoot at distance with accuracy, rather than trying to corner some1 into a perfect 200.

Shooting in AH is actually fairly simple relative to "real life" since the atmosphere is always perfect, wind always calm...

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 06:49:47 PM »
.target?

this is a new one for me

never mind... that's what I get for reading the thread last post first :rofl
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 06:52:04 PM by Dichotomy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 07:44:08 PM »
Try hanging around in the duelling arena challenging everyone.  If your flying is not the problem, you can get on their six and take your time with the gunnery.

Offline AApache

• Nickel Member
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006, 05:10:57 AM »
:aok     Try leading your target a bit and play around with multiple convergence settings until you find what works with your flying style.
"WE WEREN'T ASSIGNED WE WERE REQUESTED"....Lt.Col.Benjamin O. Davis of the Tuskegee Airmen 

https://youtu.be/B2sDNT91Rzw

https://youtu.be/KaufhZv84Gk

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 12:29:25 PM »
Some thoughts on Gun Convergence
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 02:16:06 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Some thoughts on Gun Convergence

very nicely done :)

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline aqhawasi

• Zinc Member
109BF-F4 convergence
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 08:56:05 AM »
thank you very much for the posted article.  i think i've almost read every topic on convergence out there, and tips vary widely, from setting convergence at 600yds for some, and less than 200 for others.  I realise most of it has to do with flying styles, planes used, and, obviously, personal preference.  
I've been an AH flyer for about three weeks now (highly addictive habit), and have had a chance to try a few planes, P-51D and 109F4 being my preferred rides.  My question is concerning the 109F4.  I've experimented, at a basic level, with setting convergence on the 109F4 at 275 to 425 yds, and I can honestly say my gunnery sucks.  Its a good day for me when I am able to get a couple fighter kills in late war main arena in a single flights (bombers I can do the entire formation).  The 109F4 is not particularly fast for the main arena, so getting inside 200d takes a lot time, patience, luck, etc.  Realistically, most shots happen between 200 and 400. I decided to ride in a Yak-9U a couple times, very similar gun configuration, and with at least 50% of ammo to go, I had already obtained 3 kills. Flied the Yak-9u a few more times, and sure enough, my hit percentage seems to be a lot higher than with the 109F.  Are ballistics really that bad in the 109F4, or am I missing something.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I know Eagler flies the 109F4 a bit, so if you are out there, any pointers would be appreciated.  I guess the easy solution is to just fly the Yak-9U but I have an unhealthy infatiuation with the 109 (back from my Air Warrior days).  Help! :)

Peru

Offline 1895

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
      • http://raf315.org
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 04:09:20 PM »
YAKU, 109F are nose mounted guns, they fire straight ahead so set your convergence to 650 is my suggestion

Offline meddog

• Copper Member
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2006, 04:29:07 PM »
I actually go to the Off-Line arena to practice my gunnery especially for dead 6 shots.  I also set my seat all the way up so I can get max visibility over the nose.  Since I lose the gun sight in most planes sitting so high, I had a small peice of shel paper with an aimer rectal adn center dot that I use for my gun sight.
Yes I know I suck, other wise youuuuu would be dead so stop bragging.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2006, 06:35:40 PM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy
My list of tips.

1. Dont shoot six shots, its one of the hardest shots and it does waste alot of ammo. Riding someones six is also the best way to expose your six. Only shoot deflection shots and lead shots.

**I gotta disagree on this. Yes, you're looking at smaller target but at 200-300 out I guarantee one lil split second burst will get most folks to show you his whole plane. When he does, shoot him down. You don't use but a few round which hit him.**

3. Dont use tracers.

**There's always been a lot of talk about tracers. My suggestion; if you think they help you get kills use them, if you don't then don't use em. More times than not it's confidence that helps you through a fight. It doesn't mean you will win every fight but if you THINK using them will get you a kill what;s it gonna hurt? If you think having them off will get you a kill, then turn them off.

Tracers, on the other hand, can be a crutch if you let them. They can also force a turn when you want them to. Just understand why they put them on the plane in the first place.

For me personally? I turn them on and off depending on my mood. The kills come either way. **

Tex

Hope this helps.

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
poor gunnery - any tips
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »
Dead six gunnery can be one of the more aggravating parts of AH. Even though it is a 'dead six' shot, stick inputs cause (g forces) that affect where the rounds are going and there is some bullet drop.   Here are some tips I have learned:

1.  dont use zoom, it really doesn't help
2.  try using elevator trim changes instead of stick inputs before shooting
3.  Firing with tracers on, or not, you have to shoot where the plane will be, not where it is.  Not having tracers on forces you to get a sight picture that works.  To me, AH is much more like tradional archery than firing a rifle.  In archery you get a sight picture memorized (literally), same thing in AH.
4.  fire in bursts.
5.  Make sure all your guns are firing (all MG or cannons and MG) at once.
6.  Fire at (or near) convergence.

Hmm, many things to do at once.  Well, practice makes perfect.  You can turn on the lead gun site (LGS) when flying offline which helps on how much to lead.  The training arena also has the LGS available.   I usually have to ask someone to help me remember how to turn it on though.

Above all, enjoy yourself!  This is supposed to be fun!

Regards,

Malta
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 07:10:38 PM by stantond »