Author Topic: AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!  (Read 967 times)

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 11:11:02 AM »
w00t w00t...

:D

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 08:04:26 AM »
Is this the program most AH terrain builders are using to build custom AH objects?  I've used 3D Studio Max for several years to make 3D models; how does AC3D compare, feature-wise?  Does AC3D come with the ability to export models in a format compatible with AH (and what is that format)? Thanks.  Been interested in playing with the AH TE, but was wondering about building custom objects.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:14:42 AM »
Ac3d uses .ac files.You can just convert those with oe(object editor, comes with te) into .shp files which are used by ah.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:00:52 AM »
Also, if your not interested in paying for yet another program. Get the Blender, it's 100% free and using XJazz's export script it will export using the .ac function which will allow the OE to convert the file to .shp (as duh explained) making it compatible with AH.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 10:11:40 AM »
Originally posted by Sabre
Is this the program most AH terrain builders are using to build custom AH objects?  I've used 3D Studio Max for several years to make 3D models; how does AC3D compare, feature-wise?  Does AC3D come with the ability to export models in a format compatible with AH (and what is that format)? Thanks.  Been interested in playing with the AH TE, but was wondering about building custom objects.

I currently have 3D studio max 5.1 and AC3D 6.0.  AC3D provides the basic functionality you would expect a 3D editor to do.  Max goes above and beyond for functionality.  But considering the price difference between the two I would expect that.    I haven't looked for any custom expoters for MAX that will generate a .AC file, which is needed to import the object into the OE.  I haven't seen any benfit using Max since AC3d provides everything you need to do and the learning curve for it is not to steep..  But if your more comfortable with MAX, and can find a decent exporter for it might as well use it...

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 10:31:29 AM »
Actually the "learning curve" in ac3d is very steep... one learns (vertical axis) a lot in a short time (horizontal axis) :p

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 11:08:18 AM »
I think it's usually thought of in tearms of vertical effort over horizontal learning.:aok
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 11:54:53 AM »
Originally posted by BlauK
Actually the "learning curve" in ac3d is very steep... one learns (vertical axis) a lot in a short time (horizontal axis) :p

hehehe
:)

I wouldn't be to hard on AC3D.  I've yet to see a 3D editor that is easy to learn without a steep learning curve.  But I don't think it's as steep when trying to learn, 3d studio max, blender, gmax, openfx, rhino etc..

They layed out the user interface for AC3D quite well, for the functionality it provides.  80-90% precent of what you need to use for creating an OE object is within mouse click range.  I think it has a lot to do with AC3D not having as many options like the others.  HTC made a good choice...  

The one thing that Ac3D does poorly on is the object heirachy.  They go through all the effort to prevent you from creating a group with one object, but then allow it when you create a group with two objects and delete one of them out..  So why do they prevent it in the frist place if they going to allow you to do it if you delete an object out?...  just plain goofy....

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 11:59:16 AM »
The "usual thought" seems to be mixing the original 1930's idea of learning curve where repetition makes the production of an airplane faster and thus cheaper, and the later concept of education and learning more of something new.
Maybe the "usual thought" comes from an idea how walking a steep hill is more difficult, thinking that going forwards is the goal instead of climbing to the top.
Even if a majority of people write about gun sites and web sights, it still does not make those terms correct, does it ;)

I would rather use the educational approach in case of learning a sofware. One would not be repeating one and same process over and over and over tryig to make the one and same model faster with ac3d, am I correct?

Also, if one uses the original, the production repetition concept, the steep curve DOES indicate easier "learning", but only when moving DOWN the curve.

However, when using the educational concept, one moves UP the curve when learning more.. trying to get to the peak as fast as possible instead of walking gentle slopes forever and staying at low level.

For example:
---------

<http://www.computerworld.com/news/2001/story/0,11280,61762,00.html>

"You almost never move up a learning curve, only down. And the steeper the curve, the easier the learning."

"Plotting these production costs against units of production along a graph yields a learning curve that slopes from the upper left to the lower right. The steeper it is, the faster the person, project team or company is learning to produce that item or service."

-----

<http://www.learningandteaching.info/learning/lerncrv.htm>

"It is a cliché today to refer to a 'steep learning curve' to indicate that something is difficult to learn."

-----

ok.. sidestep and thread hijack over.. get back to ac3d ;)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 12:16:45 PM »
Originally posted by BlauK
<http://www.learningandteaching.info/learning/lerncrv.htm>

"It is a cliché today to refer to a 'steep learning curve' to indicate that something is difficult to learn."

-----

ok.. sidestep and thread hijack over.. get back to ac3d ;)

Well if my curve represents options provide by editor and amount of time to learn options, I think AC3D in that case would be steep then....

:p
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:18:46 PM by soda72 »

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 12:18:42 PM »
I thought the AC3D interface was a bit clunky at first, now it seems second-nature. I guess it's what you're used to. :)

Booleans will be a nice feature. :aok
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 12:28:48 PM »
I dont like how the snaps work (or actually dont work) and also the recentering of objects/groups to "minimum center" or "absolute center" are pretty useless. If only they could be combined.

Many lacking things can be "side-stepped" in many ways though. For such a light program, I think ac3d works just fine. Booleans in the new version sound nice, but I suppose I will personally still remain several versions behind and only use ac3d for finalizing the models (textures & hierarchy), not for the actual modeling.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 04:03:54 PM »
I only have a some experiance from AC3D v5-6 trails, Blender and a bit Wings3D 3D programs.

IMHO

The AC3D is generally very nice but like said, the group/object centring, Hierarchy Tree creating and Property (HTP) managing are pretty clumsy.  All these have a important role in the AH custom object creating.

The AC3D users could use my script   to make HTP managing much more fluent than original one. Also the group centring can totally forget.  Somebody should code my idea with Tcl for the AC3D as native script/plug-in.

The Blender 2.42A with my export script can also manage HTP very well but currently lacking the NGON and polyline support.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
AC3D ver. 6.1 out now!
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 11:35:42 AM »
Overall, although the blender interface is difficult to learn, I think it renders more tools to help you make what you want, not help you make what you think you want. Hierarchy is not as difficult either if your using Xjazz's export script(s).
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.