Author Topic: Minute Screen Glitches  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
Minute Screen Glitches
« on: May 14, 2001, 01:48:00 AM »
Hiya's,
       Maybe someone can help as i am at a loss, Gonna be a long post to try n cover all pc setup etc
Ok at random offline as well as online ! i get tiny tiny tiny (emphasise tiny lol) screen freezes, So tiny they're just detectable but once you see one you see them at random and they drive you to ditraction  lol
As most would i thought  hmm my darn isp is cause   well  nope  as it happens offline too :-(  ok  my pc setup    nope excatly same as late last year when all was fine       stuff running in background   nope  only thing i have is ms/sw in systray (always had it running b4 with no glitches)......
Well i did some thinking and pinned it down to starting when the cv's were added to ah ! now others have this same glitch with completely different pc setups so i am racking my brains trying to find a common denominator in our setups as i can't believe only a few could detect this tiny glitch if it was built into ah
I was thinking maybe something was starting to breakdown in my pc around the time of the cv release thus i get glitch offline as well as online ruling out my actual conx to ah

Basic win98 1st edition setup
A7v rev 1.02 board (volt modded)
TB 750
Watercooling
128 133 ram
C/Labs gts2 32meg (stock)
S/Blaster Live (slot 3  irq 5 man assigned)
40x cd
1.44 floppy
300 watt psu (nothing being run off this as in the way of fans etc, So can't pin screen glitches to loss of psu power)
Ext Diamond Supra modem.........

Best add i have removed resistor on volt mod and still same glitches.........

All software on pc is a html editor/ah/sidewinder/multimedia k-board driver/rw/tweakui/acrobat/sisoft sandra/msn messenger (which is always off when flying)

Got latest via 4in1 drivers and tried all bios/via/video driver configs that i could and still had same happen

So has anyone got ideas or suggestions i can try ?

Hope you understand above   lol

Many Thanks

Def

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Minute Screen Glitches
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
I've noticed that some versions of the detonator drivers have this problem while others do not.  I'm currently using 6.31s in win 98 and they do not have this problem.  This machine is dual booted with win 2k using 12.10 detonators.  The 12.10s are faster, but do have VERY tiny little stutters when rolling and turning.

My guess is it's drivers.

My system:

Asus a7v rev 1.02
Tbird 700 @ 927
384 MB pc 133 cas 2 ram
IBM DTLA series HD (fast   )
Asus v7700 deluxe GF2 gts (ram overclocked to 350 Mhz from 333)
SB LIve Value
etc

------------------
bloom25
-MAW-
(Formerly of the)
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
Minute Screen Glitches
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2001, 04:15:00 PM »
Hiya Bloom,
           Okey dokey will try 6.31's  i was using standard det3 6.50's for ages with no probs then few patches/releases ago with same setup i get these tiny glitches starting

Gonna get last few drivers that are left to be d/loaded
Will let ya know how i get on

Thanks

Def

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
Minute Screen Glitches
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2001, 01:23:00 AM »
Update,
       After many hours flashing bios's in conjunction with via 4in1's and of course det drivers it seems two things have occured !  (got combinations comin outa my ears !!)

Firstly don't ask me how  well you can but i am too knackered to explain lol  my fps max of 100 went up to 133 (even though max refresh of mon is 100mhz) even offline in smoke laidened vhanger with the htc crew (aka offline mullets) circling like vulchers i hit a fps low of 66
This came as a complete shock of course shocks like these i can handle  

Secondly i dare'nt say i cured my tiny glitches altogether as i only tried offline for 30mins but hey so far so good      
Sorry it's just kicking in about my fps gain  he he

Ok i faffed around in bios (1006) and have via 4in1 4.29's and det 6.31's DX7a
Too much for me to list what i altered in bios at this time (matchsticks keeping my eyes open n they're irritating lol)
But as i say so far so good

Hope next post is a final a ok one  

Have Fun

Def

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Minute Screen Glitches
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2001, 06:56:00 AM »
There are later versions of the 4-in-1 out.
 http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1

The 4.31's just went final.  Grab 'em.  Also scroll to the bottom of that page and get the 686B and Soundblaster bug fix if appropriate.  Try it, the thing will only run if applicable.

Now, if your frame rate is higher than your refresh rate, that tells me you may have V-synch disabled in your video drivers.  Right-click the desktop and choose properties, then choose the Settings tab.  Press the Advanced button if available.  Now it depends on the drivers and such, but look for a Direct 3D option for Vertical Synch.  Make sure V-Synch is ENABLED.  Also, set your mip-mapping level to High.  Sorry I can't be more exact, but I don't have that card.  If you can't find this option anywhere, post back here and one of the GeForce owners should be able to help.

This should solve some of your image quality problems.  Oh, and in the video setup section of AH, make sure you don't have Z buffer turned on.  That check box should be clear.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
Minute Screen Glitches
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »
Hiya Leph,
          OK i got latest 4in1's last night but still have 4.30 in will do the 4.31's in a while
The V-Sync was Off so i put it back to On by default
The Mip map i have put to Best Performance

Will go in now and give her a whirl

Thanks for help guys any more help/suggestions would be much appreciated  

Def

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
Minute Screen Glitches
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2001, 12:48:00 PM »
Put the mip mapping to High Quality if you are still having problems with it.  I think that's the setting Skuzzy recommends, and he knows.  

------------------

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
Minute Screen Glitches
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2001, 06:56:00 PM »
Many thanks Leph,
                 Have just added 64meg ram to my 128 to see if any improvement and so far glitches aren't so common so to speak  
So i have just ordered 256meg cas2 from Crucial for £70 ($100)
I have swapped mip map to what you say and am now going in with a hop and i spring in my step  he he

ps....early last year i paid £100 for 64meg of no-name pc100  !!!!!! to think i will have 256meg cas2 for less amazed me  

Thanks again

Have Fun

Def

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Minute Screen Glitches
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2001, 10:04:00 PM »
Leph, the only difference between 4.29s and 4.31s is the addition of the SB patch.  There is no need to get it seperately.

I'd also recommend sticking with the stable 4.29s rather than testing out a new version if you aren't having troubles.

------------------
bloom25
-MAW-
(Formerly of the)
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
Minute Screen Glitches
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2001, 06:56:00 AM »
Yep, I see that now.  

The SB patch fixed some of my problems with Tribes 2 as well, just FYI.

------------------

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
Minute Screen Glitches
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
Hiya Guys,
          Update.........
After getting my ram 6-30am this morning i was still getting glitches but deffinately not so many  
I tried two local ripoff pc stores   lol, Anyways i got a new ATA100 20gig Fujitsu HD
and now my machine is back rockin  

Tip to morons like myself.......after adding a slave hd don't assume it becomes the last letter drive  lmao
Had to go in MA to ask for advice on why E: would not format (which in reality was my old D: )  he he

Well Thanks for your help guys it was much appreciated  

Have Fun

Def

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
Minute Screen Glitches
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »
Hiya's,
Update, After getting all sorted with new HD/Ram i had two wonderful days flying   then....... Bios chip fritzed  
I will shortly take possesion of an Asus A7a266 and for now use my 133 ram then get some pc2100   and a new cpu

Hope to be flying Tuesday/Wednesday

Many Thanks to Bfalcon4 aka "Mullet" for helping me with mobo searches etc  

Have Fun

Def