Author Topic: A Realistic Head On  (Read 601 times)

Offline 47Hooker

• Zinc Member
A Realistic Head On
« on: October 19, 2006, 08:28:49 PM »
I try to avoid HOs after learning how this game deals with them.  Sometimes you just can't help it.  If you and an enemy are converging, the first to break hard is exposing his/her belly or top to fire.  Try to get a shot in and break hard at last second.  Sometimes you both break same direction at same time and a HO occurs.  

I have been educated on how the damage is dealt with by the game.  I still don't agree with it, because it's just fantasy to have 2 like planes collide with one losing a wing and the other flying off into the sunset, but I must accept it on this here game.

Anyway, tonight I was in a turn and leveled out on a bandit when I realized he was headed right at me.  I zeroed in and got off a good burst then yanked it at the last second to avoid HO..........problem is he did the exact same.....WHACK!    The cool part:  Sytem said I shot him down and I was killed at the same time.  Exactly as it should be.  We both went down/out.  No points awarded.  

The only part I don't like is IF that kill registers on my total count.  I should not get credited a kill for that.  

Now, before any post nazis jump in, this is not an argument for/against the way HOs are dealt with.  Lord knows it's been hashed over enough.  I'm just sharing a HO experience that had a REALISTIC outcome.

Wow.  They do exist!

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
A Realistic Head On
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 09:45:19 PM »
Wouldnt it be annoying if you saw someone coming at you and you maneuvered just in time time to avoid the collision and think: "phew, i managed by my skill to avoid that collision, god im great"...
THEN...
You explode and die, and get a message that you collided with so-and-so???

Doesn't sound fair does it?
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
A Realistic Head On
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 10:45:19 PM »
IMHO... they even out in the end :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
A Realistic Head On
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 01:26:30 AM »
Actually, with an energy sacrifice you can avoid any headon, no matter how good of a shot the other pilot is.

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
A Realistic Head On
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 03:22:01 AM »
What are some ways that other sims deal with collisions?

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Re: A Realistic Head On
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 08:36:12 AM »
Originally posted by 47Hooker

I have been educated on how the damage is dealt with by the game.  I still don't agree with it, because it's just fantasy to have 2 like planes collide with one losing a wing and the other flying off into the sunset, but I must accept it on this here game.

By this statement you prove that you do not understand it.

Offline 47Hooker

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: A Realistic Head On
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 04:27:58 PM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
By this statement you prove that you do not understand it.

By that statement I mean that :

1.  I have already gone through a long discussion on how the system deals with collisions.  How lag determines whose comp "saw" the collision first.  A search of the HO topic will provide you with much info on this.

2.  I have personally had HOs here that resulted in me going down wingless, bailing out and watching the other aircraft fly off intact.  I've been on the other end of it as well.....collided and got a kill with little/no damage and watched the other guy go down in pieces.

Now, unless:

1. I was misinformed by numerous people how HOs are deal with (if so, please enlighten me/us).

2.  The HOs I had in the past were flukes.

I don't see why you would respond with such a post........unless you are testing rule #5.;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 04:38:04 PM by 47Hooker »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
A Realistic Head On
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 04:46:40 PM »
I am confused ... are we talking about HOs or collisions ... they are two distinct entities in AH.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
A Realistic Head On
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 04:56:57 PM »
1. I have already gone through a long discussion on how the system deals with collisions. How lag determines whose comp "saw" the collision first. A search of the HO topic will provide you with much info on this.

This is where you might have a problem ...

I was fighting Gespenst the other night in MW.

We were twisting and turning in a vertical scissor, each trying to get the angle on the other.

We came around on each other and I could see that we were heading right for each other so I quickly applied tons of rudder and barrel-rolled to avoid the HO and/or collision ... which I did.

I never even got close to him from my viewpoint.

I quickly reverse to find him ... a smoking wreck with one wing plummeting to earth.

He SAW a collision on his computer ... I DID NOT see a collision on my computer.

So ... its not always "who saw if first", but rather "who saw it".

Your FE sees a collision ... you are going down and no one is to blame but you. If your FE does not see a collision ... then you will keep flying ... unscathed.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
A Realistic Head On
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 08:05:31 PM »
Go to the EW arena. When you are faced with a HO situation, they don't shoot at you (as you don't shoot at them) and they don't ram into you (as you don't ram into them). What you do in HO situation, is both of you turn away (in a gentlemen fashion) from each other and go back to dog fighting. This is more fun, simple as that. Both Planes live to fight, may the better man win.

I ran across about 10 HO's in EW tonight. It just happens sometimes. Not a one of them shot at me, and, every one of them turned away, as i did. What is so hard to understand about this?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 08:19:26 PM by Clutz »

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
A Realistic Head On
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 08:21:40 PM »
I am amazed at all the people who say they get it, but don't.
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
A Realistic Head On
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 08:00:35 AM »
First off try a corkscrew or big barrel roll to duck HO's.

Gives you better avoidance, with minimal energy loss. Best of course if you can get BELOW his line of sight, so he's got to push DOWN to try to get guns on target.

Next HO's & collisions are 2 different beasts entirely.

I have to agree with Gunner, I don't think you get it yet either.

But all you really need to know is this.

If you fly to miss him, you won't have as many collisions.
If your constantly getting collisions perhaps you should look at your tatics.
ie your flying too close.