Author Topic: Tail hook function change in new update  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Tail hook function change in new update
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 07:30:51 AM »
In the quote in your post it says:

Since I was HOPING to land gear up and hook down only, I was frustrated I HAD to land with the right gear down only.

In this game he had to in order to use his tailhook.  In most if not all carrier aircraft you can put the hook down separately from the landing gear.

That only makes sense and I'm sure it's I/A/W navy regulations to have the hook come down separately from the gear in the interest of safety.

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 08:18:22 AM »
saw a bumpersticker in traffic that years later still makes me chuckle--

"there are only 2 types of vessels in the ocean.. submarines and targets":lol

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 08:36:57 AM »
Brooke posted this page from the F4U pilot's manual that shows that the F4Us had a mechanical interlock to prevent lowering the tail hook when the gear were up. If the tail hook was lowered while the gear was stowed, it would be forced through the tail wheel doors.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 12:36:42 PM »
Originally posted by Golfer
In the quote in your post it says:

In this game he had to in order to use his tailhook.  In most if not all carrier aircraft you can put the hook down separately from the landing gear.

That only makes sense and I'm sure it's I/A/W navy regulations to have the hook come down separately from the gear in the interest of safety.

In this game, yes, he has to put gear down to put the hook down.  Okay, we agree on that.  Since he knew his gear was damaged, why would he still decided to put it down in hopes of the hook catching?  A less riskier move would have been a gear up, hook up landing.  It's much easier.  He made a decision and it was a more riskier decision.  Instead of blaming himself, he blamed the game.
He did not have to use the hook.  Once he understands that, he can then understand life alittle more.  :)
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2006, 02:37:57 PM »
Why in the world would you land on a carrier gear up and NOT use your hook?

And if you think landing on a carrier is easy, check out these videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUYtUjigJpg&mode=related&search=

I think it's SOP that if your gear is not functioning, then you land with your hook down too.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 03:01:54 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2006, 04:12:45 PM »
I could not see a "hook" in most of those WWII carrier crashs, although the first plane ( no port gear) stopped quickly as it left viewable screen and the plane that stopped on the port edge of the flight deck and started to burn seemed to stop very quickly after bouncing like it did grab a wire, and after it stopped, did look like there was a hook down, unless that is the tail wheel strut, and the wheel was torn off. I could not see a wheel.
The one that flipped and broke in half was very clearly not in hook down position, unless the arresting hook was broken/torn off prior to the flip. Looking at it very closely, there appears to be a wheel attached to what I at first took to be the arresting hook.
Course my eyes are old.

When in doubt, use the island to stop yourself.

Thanks for posting the link, Mister Fork.
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2006, 08:05:16 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
Why in the world would you land on a carrier gear up and NOT use your hook?

And if you think landing on a carrier is easy, check out these videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUYtUjigJpg&mode=related&search=

I think it's SOP that if your gear is not functioning, then you land with your hook down too.

Why would I land on a CV with my gear up and NOT use my hook?  Well, if my gear was damaged, i.e. left or right was gone, I would belly it without a hook.  If I wanted to use a hook in that same senario, I'd run a high risk of rolling off the deck because I have to put whatever gear down that I have working.

Cool video of REAL LIFE CV LANDINGS gone bad.I still think landing on a carrier is "easy".  BTW, "easy" is your word, not mine.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 07:02:32 AM »
Originally posted by E25280
Friendly reminder that little boats of the undersea kind pwnd more "real vessels" than ships did.

It goes without saying.  There are two kinds of sea vessels:  Submarines and targets.

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006, 02:47:27 PM »
Originally posted by rshubert
It goes without saying.  There are two kinds of sea vessels:  Submarines and targets.

As stated by FBplmmr much earlier in this thread regarding a bumper sticker he had seen. There is a WWII Vet who was a torpedoman who comes into the shop to have his truck serviced. Has the same bumper sticker.
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 11:02:14 AM »
Originally posted by HB555
I could not see a "hook" in most of those WWII carrier crashs, although the first plane ( no port gear) stopped quickly as it left viewable screen and the plane that stopped on the port edge of the flight deck and started to burn seemed to stop very quickly after bouncing like it did grab a wire, and after it stopped, did look like there was a hook down, unless that is the tail wheel strut, and the wheel was torn off. I could not see a wheel.
The one that flipped and broke in half was very clearly not in hook down position, unless the arresting hook was broken/torn off prior to the flip. Looking at it very closely, there appears to be a wheel attached to what I at first took to be the arresting hook.
Course my eyes are old.

When in doubt, use the island to stop yourself.

Thanks for posting the link, Mister Fork.

All of these would have the hook down if functional.  WWII planes were very light (relatively speaking) so have much smaller hooks than modern jets so, given the resolution of the video, I'd guess you simply can't see the hook or the hook wasn't working.  If bellying onto the flight deck (especially a straight deck carrier) was your only option then you will put the hook down because the alternative is to slide into the barricade, the aircraft parked on the bow or the island.  The planes that hit the island most likely either had non-functional hooks or the hook skipped the wires.  

Nowdays, given the size and weight of modern jets there's a good chance of ejecting alongside the CV rather than risk splattering the fight deck with burning debris from a heavily damaged aircraft unless there was no option (such as a COD with no ejection seats or a failed ejection system) or it was just a single gear that failed to extend and lock.  Incidently, when taking the barricade it's standard practice to put the hook down.

Last, flew a Zeke quite a bit last night.  Hook comes down no problem without the gear.  Maybe they changed this back with the last patch.

Edit:  Forgot to mention that there are no modern CV aircraft that require the gear to be down before lowering and it is standard practice to lower the hook before coming into the break and well before the gear is lowered.  We usually lowered it before departing holding.  It's surprisingly easy to forget and will cost you a bottle to the LSO if you roll out of final with it up.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:09:48 AM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF