Author Topic: F4U's - accuracy an issue?  (Read 931 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
F4U's - accuracy an issue?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 06:28:14 PM »
Originally posted by SgtPappy
Oh, so only the USMC ones didnt' have folding wings... I see.

The tailhooks were removed too.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 07:20:05 PM »
Originally posted by SgtPappy
Ah thanks. So the F4U-1A its performance advantage not because it was lighter. So It was just a cleaner frame?

Personally I think the D hog owns the 1A in a one on one fight. Yes the 1a is faster....but that only helps if your running. The D accelerates quicker and climbs better (from what I can tell) then the 1a. The 1a is a bit better turner at speed but just marginally so while they seem about dead even at stall. So in a "proper" hog fight the D out performs the 1a in the vertical and vertical oblique. It's better climb and acceleration give it the advantage in a hog on hog knife fight.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 07:23:24 PM »
humble, the 1A actually accelerates FASTER than the 1D by several seconds, and the rates of climb are nearly identical.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 07:38:06 PM »
I still like the -1 hog better.  To me the -1 hog a better stall fighter then all of them.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 08:17:26 PM »
Sgt Pappy,

I just meant to say the AH2 F4U's all have folding wings. Not all the F4U's produced.

I say that because the performance and weight corresponds to known data sheets of F4U's with folding wings.

That being said I have never actually seen any hard data for non folding wing F4U's. However I don't doubt they were out there.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 05:43:50 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
humble, the 1A actually accelerates FASTER than the 1D by several seconds, and the rates of climb are nearly identical.

I fly the D on attack and 1a for fighter....again its a seat of the pants comparision....but the D seems to have the edge by a small margin in everything but raw speed. I'm pretty sure ww posted all relevent numbers so I'll go look at his original post....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson