Author Topic: always on  (Read 780 times)

Offline epilot

• Zinc Member
always on
« on: August 24, 2001, 06:01:00 PM »
I am connected to net via DSL, always on, and to protect from hackers I am behind a firewall. In order to fly I have to disable firewall. What risk do I have while flying of having my system invaded? Thanks.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
always on
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2001, 06:51:00 PM »
epilot, what are u using for a firewall?

I use zonealarm, and with it I am able to fly Aces.

Perhaps you should ask for help configuring the firewall to let you play, just to be safe +)

SKurj

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
always on
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2001, 10:20:00 PM »
Skurj

I also use zonealarm, the free version. I can't play with it on. The connection dumps to lag city that's whyu I disable it.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
always on
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2001, 10:44:00 PM »
Sygate personal firewall,free easy to use,no loss of framerate/herky jerky.
Get it and try i use and haven't had any prob.
PS Aces will time out the first time,let it,goto desktop and tick the box that lets aces out,u good to go.
Steely out
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
always on
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2001, 08:16:00 AM »
Mav u have to disable ZA in my experience when using a Voodoo3 card, with a GF2 you can run Aces with ZA running.

I got stutters with ZA and a V3, when I upgraded to GF2 they went away.

SKurj

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
always on
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »
For some reason the voodoo 3 cards would have stuttering problems if any little icons on the taskbar are flashing.  

I play AH with zonealarm running.  It is kind of tricky to get aH to minimize so you can tell zonealarm to allow access though.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
always on
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2001, 01:38:00 PM »
Bloom u do not have to let AH minimize actually.
You have a couple of options:

The permission popup, comes up in the lower right of your screen.  Once you have started AH, and made the click to OK your login, click the mouse ONCE at the bottom right of your screen about 1" in from bottom and side, and then hit "R" TAB and then ENTER.

You can't see your mouse pointer while u do this so u had better have a good feel for your mouse +)

If you don't get it right, don't worry, just sit there and wait until AH times out.  Then just open the ZA program window and you will see Aces listed, give it permission and voila!

SKurj

Offline air_guard

• Nickel Member
always on
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2001, 04:29:00 AM »
like skurj said :
close zonealarm -start aces high- minimize by pressing alt and tab-restart zonealarm and make sure (go to programs in zonealarm)u set aces high.exe to be allowed on both allow connect and allow server  then u should be ok

airguard

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
always on
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2001, 05:01:00 AM »
OK play AH no problems with ZA Pro.
However my settings are different as in just allow AH to connect to the internet no need to set it to allow AH to act as a server.
After all you dont host the game HT does.
Whether it alters if you are hosting a free 8 player game i dunno but somehow i doubt many left flying that.
For security NEVER allow anything to have server priviliges unless absolutely necessary.