Author Topic: Hitech an idea on crewing  (Read 227 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Hitech an idea on crewing
« on: November 06, 2006, 05:27:16 PM »
Thought of this a while back, posted it on another game-I-plays forums. I don't think I posted it here. Anyway.... here goes:

The idea is simple, the goal is to provide true polycrewing that works smoothly, and perhaps introduce something no other sim I've seen has.

Instead of making multicrewing a server hosted function, turn it into a client hosted function.

Normally when you join a bomber as a gunner you connection is via the server, which means due to latency, internet lag, etc you don't always see what the pilot sees. This idea fixes that.

There are a couple of assumptions in this idea. First is that 'gunners' would not be on a seperate account, second is that 'gunner' computers would be on the same LAN segment or close to the 'pilot' computer.

Each 'pilot' computer becomes a sub-host. 'Gunner' computers join the pilot computer, not the server.

The 'pilot' computer acts as a router almost, the information sent from the server such as nearby aircraft data, comms, voip etc all goes to the 'gunner' computers via the 'pilot' computer. This would not increase traffic on the WAN or too HTCs servers. For example, HTC's server sends data to a B-17 giving 3D positional information on a FW-190, the 'pilot' computer then sends the same data to each 'gunner' on the network.

When a 'gunner' shoots at something it goes back via the 'pilot' computer, once again it is not increasing any traffic to the HTC server.

The only questionable traffic increase might be VoIP if the 'crew' had full access to server VoIP channels. It might even be possible to have a localized 'crew' channel for VoIP, with traffic only existing on the LAN.

The user experience would go something like this:
 - Pilot launches AH, selects online arena, selects a B-17, goes on-the-runway.
 - Gunner1 on LAN launches AH, selects 'LAN multicrew', either finds Pilots machine via broadcast (automatic detection) or IP address (manual entry), joins the pilot. Upon joining is given a graphic similar to the airfield gunner graphic indicating available gunner positions and selects a position
 - Gunner2 does the same as Gunner1

... and so on.

Imagine having 3 or 4 guys over multicrewing a B-17 or Tiger with localized VoIP. Your gunners wouldn't need HTC accounts but might like the experience so much they subscribe.

Maybe its a silly idea, maybe its something HTC can file for the future, maybe I should've patented it... what do you guys think?